1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Giddey up!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by VoR, Jul 13, 2021.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

There's always the possibility that Melo just didn't care or try, though. I believe in all previous situations Melo was a decent enough shooter. Is there any league where Giddy has been a decent shooter yet?

And what about athleticism? Serious question.... where does he rank/test out on that?

I mean a taller Ricky Rubio is still going to make it in the NBA, but is best served on a team with that defined role needed.

2. CertifiedTroll

Isn’t this dude like a lesser Royce White?

3. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Where’s the ingles comp?

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s white and Aussie lol, that’s it.

His comp is in between MCW and Ben Simmons, or taller Rubio

D-rock and Theking like this.
  5. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Haha agree.

Ingles has defense in spades!

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If Giddey developed a shot like Ingles, he would be a legit top 3 prospect. His athleticism is probably being understated at this point. He’s basically a league average athlete. But size, vision, handles with a shot? That’s a player.
    I just don’t see him getting a shot, similar to Simmons.

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And I will never understand how someone can look so coordinated and athletic on offense or on the attack and inversely look like they can’t move their feet.
    I truly believe defense is more mindset than anything.

palmsnbananas and hakeem94 like this.
  8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Although it's odd to compare him to Ingles when the last blurb mentions his shooting isn't all that (not yet, anyway).

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/josh-giddey/

NBA Comparison: Joe Ingles
    Strengths: Natural talented point guard with great size … Great feel for the game … Very high basketball I.Q … The kind of player that makes his teammates better … All around player, can do a little bit of everything on the floor and fill up the stat sheet … A triple-double threat when he enters the court … Has showed great potential as a lead guard playing as a teenager in a high level league … An elite passer … Has great court vision, can see angles and passes that few players can … At his best when he is running the break … Can pass over his defender thanks to his size … Almost always in control, rarely rushes his decisions … A Pick and Roll maestro thanks to his size and court vision … Can either find the rolling big, a 3rd man on the weakside, or a cutter from the baseline after he takes a pick … Plays the game at his own pace … He can attack the basket and finish with solid efficiency at the rim, and is a creative finisher … Ambidextrous, can finish plays at the rim with either hand … Has a nice, dependable floater in his arsenal when he attacks the basket… Has shown some promise as a Spot Up shooter … Smart defender… Knows how to take advantage of his size and length on defense… Very good at covering the passing lanes and making steals…

Weaknesses: Average athlete… Has a really thin frame, and needs to bulk up considerably … Lacks an elite burst on his first step … Not a great leaper … He might have problems creating separation at the next level because of his athletic limitations and be dependent upon screens to create shots, or make plays for his teammates … Has a slow shooting release and he also has the tendency to lean forward on Spot Up situations … Inconsistent shooter, can be called a streaky shooter at best for now in Spot Up situations … His percentage from the free throw line is worrisome (around 70%), but he is still young … Pull Up game isn’t there yet, he will have to add this to his game to become a bigger threat … A simple “under” coverage in Pick and Roll situations can limit him for now on offense despite his basketball I.Q and size … Has the tendency to become too passive on offense and unselfish to a fault some times … His lateral quickness is average and he doesn’t always have a good low stance on defense, which creates problems when guarding quick point guards … Depends too much on his length and instincts on defense… He might be best suited to guard wings than point guards, but he doesn’t have the build to do that yet.

Overall: Josh Giddey is an intriguing prospect. A rarity. A poing guard with high basketball I.Q and great size, an elite passer and a triple-double threat, with athletic and shooting limitations … Whether he will be able to improve the latter will probably determine if he can become an elite …

cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

... but can't show until I grow 6 inches and lose 50 pounds. Might be awhile. Holdout?

Deckard, D-rock, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s just a weird comp imo, I get the intangibles aspect. But shooting is a big part of Ingles game, probably the defining attribute. Not so much with Giddey

D-rock, RudyTBag and RedIsen like this.
  11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Is that you in your username pic?

Maybe lose the beard, too (unless you want to market yourself as Greybeard the Legend of Ingles?)

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. giddyup

Can't shave the beard; I have an "agreement" with the Harden camp. Money is involved!

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. giddyup

Good defense is primarily about anticipation -- being positioned properly.

14. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

14 pts. 4 Rebs. 3 Ast. 1 Blk.

His shot doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, but I'm willing to call it a work in progress. If you squint during those drives off high screens, you can see him doing something similar in the NBA after gaining strength and tightening the handle. He'll live off PnR.

He's not my favorite lotto prospect, but if he's around at #23 or #24, I'd give it some thought.

RudyTBag likes this.
  15. omgTHEpotential

Ingles wasn't always a great shooter. When Ingles was 20 years old (2 years older than Giddey now), he was still only a 31.8% three point shooter in the Aussie league. If you compare a young Giddey vs young Ingles, it's actually a very decent comp (minus the defense).

roslolian and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lamelo shot 34% from 3 in high school while Lonzo shot 44% from 3 when he was in high school. Lamelo's % in high school only looked ok cuz Lonzo looked like Steph Curry in high school.

We dont know how Giddey ranks on athleticism he didnt show up in Camp.

JayZ750 likes this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol he will be gone long before then you dont need to think about it.

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Imagine using a first round pick to draft a Joe Ingles type player. Nba scouts wylin.

D-rock likes this.
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

You are the OG Giddy. When you joined CF (Jan 2002), Josh Giddey wasn't born yet (Oct 2002). :eek:

:p:D

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

ingles > andrew wiggins