1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green versus Cade Cunningham

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 14, 2021.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

From a place of ignorance (because I don't follow G League nor NCAA unless it's tourney time), if Cade's comparison is Grant Hill and we use that draft class as a barometer to measure JUST talent level, would Green be Eddie Jones to Cade's Grant Hill? I'm by no means underselling Eddie (loved Eddie) or am saying Green has Eddie's defensive prowess but just on a tiered level....if that's the case then yea I would want Cade.

Jones was a three-time All-Star and was a damn good shooting guard. Hill, of course, could have been an all time great if it weren't for injuries.

burlesk and Two Sandwiches like this.
  2. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Cade has an unusual skill set, seen in players ranging from Doncic to Tatum. Jalen Green has a good but common skill set, seen in players ranging from Kobe Bryant to Gerald Green. You can project anything you want onto him.

3. TimDuncanDonaut

My un-scientific research which consists of lurking on Pistons internet corners is Cade is still the consensus. There's not nearly enough green gang over there. That phenomenon seems to be local to CF.

As a Rocket I'd pay what you said, but if I'm Weaver I'd ask for more.

#23 TimDuncanDonaut, Jul 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    burlesk likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not fair to Green to compare him to players so clearly superior to him.

Green has flashy athleticism, but Cade is superior in just about every way.

5. clos4life

clos4life Member

To be fair, if we had the #1pick we would also all be team Cade, we just selling ourselves onto the (hopefully) next best thing.

burlesk and Caesar like this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Grant Hill was an INFINITELY better college athlete and overall basketball player than Cade Cunningham IMO minus the passing. He's a HOFer for a reason and showed it off in college. I dont see it.

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

If comparing that draft, Suggs is getting Kidd comps and Kidd went ahead of both at #2 where we currently sit. That would make Evan Mobey Yinka Dare :D

We gotta realize GHill was easily on his way to being a top 30 all time player with health and that was the low end projection. Throwing names like Hill and Kobe 0r Drexler or even Luka around isn't easy and can set ourselves up for disappointment. Same with the AD/Giannis talk with Mobley. It's all extremely unlikely. Players who are hyped to be the next so and so are hyped as such much earlier than this point-although there are "is jalen green the next Kobe" type of videos since a few years back but those are mostly obsessive Filipino fans.

Two Sandwiches and steddinotayto like this.
  8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It doesn't matter what their fans want. It's how they rate the two in comparison to each other. If they think they are similar, then it would be stupid for them not to take 2 additional picks and pay less money for green. Personally, I think Cade is a much more of a sure thing, so I think the Rockets would be stupid not to offer and I think Detroit would be stupid not to accept. We are drafting Green which is not a bad consolation prize at all.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

if we were going by last year’s draft class…Cade to me would be the LaMelo Ball while Green is the Anthony Edwards

Edwards scored more than Ball and had the jaw dropping dunks…he had 2 40+ point games…however, Ball was a much more well rounded player and destroyed him in advanced stats

10. Caesar

Caesar Member

Again, hate to bring up the name, but many are comparing age to age and not peak prime to not long removed from high school Green seen against pro players. So, at the same exact age, you would select Cade over Kobe as well with that thinking because Kobe was just as raw and had flashy athleticism-Green even more athleitc, but smaller.

burlesk likes this.
  11. TimDuncanDonaut

Weaver liked Westbrook. He likes the athletic type, so Green could be his kryptonite. But Weaver despite being a 'young' GM, isn't stupid.... at least I don't think.

Outside of being greedy, if Weaver really wanted Green, he could just draft him as #1. Green and his agent aren't stupid either, there's something to be said to be drafted as #1. If Pistons went down to get you, that's a slight diss.

The podcast link I posted, the type of price they're asking is at level of throwing in a KPJ, which I'm not sure Stone would be ready to do.

Side note: The Pistons podcast guy had Green after top 4.

12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

“Infinitely?” Give me a break. Hill only averaged 11 points his Freshman year and was awful from the FT line. He also didn’t take 3s. If anything, Cade is way more advanced than Hill was at the same age.

sydmill likes this.
  13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If they actually wanted Green, they would be stupid to not take whatever we are offering if they still get the player they want at a lower price.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This to me is the comp, good catch.

D-rock likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What made Kobe great was his sheer work ethic, killer instinct and the ability to learn/emulate/copy with success the 'go to moves' of former greats.

I think I have not seen many star players uniquely emulate those moves to the degree that the arsenal is his own.

It would surprise me, shock me even if Green could halfway do that.

Also Kobe had genuinely high language skills, he could trash talk fluently in Italian and Spanish.

Vanessa also claimed Kobe never did learn the piano, but he learned to play a piece to their anniversary in record time.

#35 daywalker02, Jul 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

INFINITELY. He wasnt known as a "passer".

edit: better defender. better rebounder. better scorer.

Free throws? LOL

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, hold out hope that Green is the next Kobe of you want, but I just don't see the comparison.

For me, you have 3 very smart players in the consensus top 4.... and then you have Green. I have more faith in smart, talented players than I do in those who are just freak athletes.

Chris Paul is an infinitely superior player to Russell Westbrook and the sole reason is Chris Paul is a basketball genius while Westbrook is a complete moron. Westbrook has WAY more natural gifts, but they are wasted due to what is missing between his ears.

That's one of the big reasons I put Cade, Mobley, and Suggs firmly ahead of Green.

18. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Revisionist history. Grant Hill was nowhere near the prospect is at 19 that Cade is. Hill also never averaged 20 points or hit 40% from 3. Cade and Hill both averaged roughly 6 rebounds a game. I don’t think you know what “infinitely” means.

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

u are talking to someone who thinks Cade Cunningham is Shane Battier or MPJr is Kyle Korver…eye test is quite shaky when it comes to young players

20. Caesar

Caesar Member

I can get on board with Cade being more advanced at the same age, though i've come down on how good a playmaker/passer Cade is. I do think GHill is faster and slightly more explosive, but athletically Cade isn't too far off. Cade just has modern handles and range. Hill came from making moves to get closer to the basket where Cade comes from the era of step backs to get separation for 3s/ie moves away from the basket. 2 different mindsets, but dont let in between the legs dunks and windmills fool you, GHill was a better athlete. Hill at the same age was more raw and on a stacked team, so he also didn't get as many opportunities. Hill clearly started taking leaps toward the end of Duke and into his awesome rookie season as he got more opportunities to lead and be primary ball handler. Hill was a much better defender at the same age though, but didn't have to carry the load at Duke either. He was much more blue collar the way early T-Mac in Toronto was.

burlesk and Verbal Christ like this.