1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's the safer pick between Mobley and Green?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jaiaguilar, Jul 13, 2021.

?

Who's do you think is the safer pick between Evan Mobley and Jalen Green?

1. Evan Mobley

23.0%
  2. Jalen Green

77.0%
  1. Caesar

Caesar Member

No, Mobley in the short term can put us just out of top lottery and into mediocrity treadmill just like what happened with AD,Bosh, Love, Gasol,etc. That's IF Mobley steps in day 1 as a great defensive anchor, but that's likely to be unrealistic as well considering how bad all aroudn we really are. I've said myself that people are getting way ahead of themselves thinking were going to fight for a play in as soon as this comign season. I think we will suck enough to be in the lottery and thus should tank the necessary amount to get into top 3 pick odds. I don't want Mobley or Green + a #12 pick next year. I want b2b top 3 players this year and next, with more on the way from the Harden trade in the future. LeBron departing the Cavs rewarded them with tons of top picks and we should get the same for letting Harden go give the NBA a media darling and money draw in Brooklyn.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

I guess you need to define what "develop" means.

Was Young a developed player his rookie year? He put up the stats but he wasnt a "good" player by any means. Same with Edwards he struggled with inefficiency and had lots of empty stats just from a baseline perspective. KD didnt play any D his rookie year. Lebron his rookie year could only dunk.

Mobley's defense is on par with Edward's offense. He needs to develop muscle strength so he doesnt get pushed around and he needs to work on his shot similar to how Edwards needs to improve his decision making/shot selection and his defense.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Just like what happened to Booker, Lavine, SGA, Hield etc.

Why are you using only big men?

So again if you felt this way why were you asking me that about Mobley?

We can have that same treadmill of mediocrity with Green

roslolian likes this.
  4. jasonmurray29

jasonmurray29 Member

Ok. John Wall plus 3 inches and a better 3.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

John Wall has always been a pg and doing pg things, Green does none of that.

Wall did not and does not have a jumper.

So again why the comparisons?

D-rock likes this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

LaVine is averaging 27/5/5 on 50/42/85 shooting splits

Hard to say I'd be disappointed if Green was a LaVine replica

Denovo and roslolian like this.
  7. jasonmurray29

jasonmurray29 Member

Probably not a great comparison as I read your points but I see Green as a athletic scorer and that seems to translate better to the NBA. I just feel Green would be the safer choice.

8. csc177

csc177 Member

I mean it's the draft - the risk of a player not working out is high - that's the game. My point was a top 5 pick you'd expect and WANT to have an immediate impact.

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Green, at the end of the day offense is worth much more than defense. You really only need Green to get better at offense (and he already has a solid offensive skill set), and you'll be happy with the result. After all, Trae Young, Curry and Harden aren't exactly defensive stoppers, but their value on offense completely overshadows any defensive limitations that they may have.

Mobley has the higher ceiling for sure, but there are too many things that he needs to improve upon. He is a non-traditional big with a lot of agility, so he has the ability to block shots and guard the perimeter, but he is nowhere near physically ready to play the 5. However, if he puts on weight, you worry about injury, or whether he would lose his agility and ability to guard the perimeter. In addition, you also need him to improve on offense and shooting to become a modern day big man threat.

Green has the higher floor, Mobley the higher ceiling.

D-rock likes this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Mobley is a Capela, he is better for sure.

But here's the thing - most big man don't really exceed expectations. In fact, they mostly fall short (often do to injuries).

Guards can and do.

11. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Mobley is no longer the talk.

Cade vs Green going forward.