1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tad Brown now Philly CEO

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, in the end, the fans will usually end up paying one way or another.

2. deshen

deshen Member

This is not necessary a bad thing for rockets. both parties are happy.

3. illadelphiah

illadelphiah Member

Houston 76ers

4. amaru

amaru Member

But but this is all Harden and Morey’s fault right? Now that they are both gone everything will be good right? :eek:

Nook and D-rock like this.
  5. amaru

amaru Member

It’s disgusting but not surprising. No team wins anything of note with crappy ownership.

D-rock likes this.
  6. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Playing my all-time fave RHCP song all day to congratulate Tad on earning a double salary.

7. vince

vince Member

Hence why he made life miserable for Morey and his team. It’s much easier to act Alpha when you are writing the checks other people need to cash. In a group of other Alpha’s, TF just seems a bit outmatched on the personality aspect - because he lacks the ability to seem genial.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Reported

Os Trigonum and D-rock like this.
  9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I think he's a shitty person and that affects everything else in his life.

D-rock likes this.
  10. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

His sperm is tainted. Have you seen the kids. It's like watching evolution go backwards. Tillman selling the team will be our best hope. Somebody has to have some photos of him doing a line off some tranny hookers giant peen!

11. DonatelloLimestone

no its not too dramatic, its just economimcs. Both of them left guaranteed money with the rockets and a comfort, history as well as an elite hof superstar. In facce our coach would not negotiate after:

• "I think his agent did me a favor, OK," Fertitta said at the media availability, explaining that he now had an easy out if the Rockets had a disappointing year and decided to move on from D'Antoni.

That's typically not the kind of comment made out loud, much less to the media, by an owner who is attempting to defuse drama. Of course, it's also an unusual approach to point out a coach's age and publicly wonder whether he wanted to continue working beyond next season, as Fertitta did when asked by the Houston Chronicle weeks earlier about a potential extension. That prompted the 68-year-old D'Antoni to make it clear that he planned to coach "at a high level for at least another three years."

Nor is it normal NBA business practice to spill the specifics of an offer that wasn't accepted. Fertitta volunteered that the "great extension offer" he made D'Antoni included a $5 million base salary -- below market value for a coach of his stature -- and $1 million in incentives for each playoff round won.
    • Fertitta failed to mention the buyout language that guaranteed D'Antoni only half of his base salary if the Rockets fired him before the extension began. That was the primary sticking point for D'Antoni, who hoped for a commitment of two more seasons beyond this contract and never seriously considered a half-hearted offer of one more year.

Just like the westbrook trade, Tilman says things to the press. Then you have to look at what morey and these guys did, they accquired assets and pieces they could use with the nba cap situation to get better when their in contention. then tilman took over and they ignored all of it and used first round picks, rotation players all for just tax reasons while he complaned of the 'culture' basically demanding better results with a worse product and constantly pointing fingers:
    • "“Last year (getting under the luxury tax) was a fluke. We were going to be in the (tax). It was an accident. I’m still trying to figure out how we got under. I was positive we were going to be in it by $11 million. But if I’m in the luxury tax, I expect us to win.”

• And that was the one thing that Morey never really had. According to the cap numbers at Spotrac, which go back to the 2010-11 season, the Rockets barely went over the luxury tax (just $3.65 million over) in their one season (2015-16) as a taxpayer. The Warriors spent $49.63 million in penalties over the last five seasons, while even the small-market Thunder spent $33.73 million. There was no excuse for Houston to not open up the checkbook. This is a franchise located in the fourth-biggest metro area in the U.S. that has had a superstar in the prime of his career. Alexander sat on his hands while Houston’s rivals went all in, counting on Morey’s ability to use advanced statistics to turn water into wine.
    • This refusal to spend money became farcical once Alexander sold the team to Tilman Fertitta in 2017. Fertitta spent so much money ($2.2 billion) to purchase the Rockets that he may not have had the liquidity to go into the red to build a title contender. Houston was a laughingstock around the league for the amount of juggling it had to do to stay under the tax. The best example came at the trade deadline last season, when Morey used a future first-round pick to shed the salaries of Brandon Knight and Marquese Chriss. There was no basketball reason for the move. It was just done to cut costs. It’s not that Knight and Chriss would have helped the Rockets. But there were certainly a lot of better things that Morey could have used that pick for.

Houston also spent that season in a bizarre staring contest with Danuel House Jr. House is the kind of diamond in the rough that Morey routinely uncovered in Houston, an undrafted free agent on a two-way contract who would become a starting-caliber wing. The problem was that players on those deals can spend only 45 days with the NBA team during the season before their contracts have to be converted. Money in Houston was so tight that Morey had to send House back to the G League when he wouldn’t sign a below-market long-term deal. He replaced House with two players he signed off the street (Gerald Green and Kenneth Faried) before bringing him back right before the playoffs. It’s not like House was asking for the world. He signed a three-year, $11 million contract in the offseason. But even that was more than Morey could offer at the time.

Houston’s limited financial flexibility became an even bigger issue last season after the trade for Westbrook. With the team’s two best players costing a combined $76.7 million, it became almost impossible for Morey to fill out the roster while staying under the luxury tax. Morey and head coach Mike D’Antoni had to conjure up production from players other teams didn’t want. Jeff Green went from being cut by the Jazz to being a crucial piece of the Rockets’ small-ball attack in the playoffs. It was the same story with Austin Rivers, who had been on three teams in five seasons before landing in Houston, and Ben McLemore, who had one foot out of the NBA before the Rockets turned him into a 3-point sniper. All were more valuable in Houston than anywhere else in the league because Morey identified what they could do well and put them in roles that didn’t ask them to do much else.
    As @Nook, mentioned this guy in this new culture has to let a 24 year old shadow and then report back at all times. So yea he took a better job, more money, and an owner who says you dont have to train and watch an eye on my family all day, just win, don't worry about tax and thats that. Heck thats where PJ, Harden, MDA,, and even Capela all ended up in. I just hope tilman learns from this terrible burn down, but then even to this day he keeps saying to any idiot who still beleves him after his quotes of actually lying that morey went all in. you can go look at the transaction history the only thing we went all in for is tax savings and jumping embarassing loops during our superstars prime

same thing Rich paul told Anthony Davis
    https://www.insider.com/anthony-davis-pelicans-trade-request-rich-paul-educating-2021-6

Nook, D-rock and HP3 like this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

What did Tad Brown have for bfast today, would you know?

13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

all this board has become is a bunch of hardheaded people spitting out strawman arguments to try to belittle opposing views and validate whatever rationalizations they have concocted in their minds...

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  14. DonatelloLimestone

how?
    he got them out of the al horford contract for a contributor who fits the team in danny green, got better shooting with seth curry for spacing. Big question is how this summers simmons trade will change that. Outside of Embiid being injruy prone, hes a monster and committed to defense as well. they could make the finals and no one would be surprised

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

My god how awful must it be to work for this man and then to hear he's bringing his son on board who could take over any of Morey/Stone or Tad's job.

Westbrook, Harden, Morey and MDA were willing to lie to get out of here. I don't even believe Harden and Westbrook had a rift - that was all manufactured by the players so that Westbrook doesn't get stuck in a rebuild with our owner and his son.

HP3, Dobbizzle and D-rock like this.
  16. DonatelloLimestone

you @tinman, les and apparently morey, brown, harden, and rest have made an absolute fool out of you homeboy and leader writing how to do business books.

HP3 and D-rock like this.
  17. DonatelloLimestone

bc tilman loves to be the face, loves to be popular and takes the mike or to the press as much as he can even plastering his face for us to see more prominent than the players.

So we just have to hope, just as he was boo'd in the fight last month, that he catches wind that houstonians, mind you he raised prices on us ever year while cheaping out in the contention window and its just under league par, no 1a talent will come or stick with us so his way is hurting our whole city. We continue to let him and know and he can make better decisions when our window comes around and gets to be the hero and get the trophy and alls well ends well

thers not much we can do, but we can let em hear it and continue to make it a conversation. otherwise by your definition theres no points of clutcch fans outside of like a china social media where you're only allowed praise. we come here to discuss, understand it, and as fans we can also pressure with boos and cheers as well as with our pockets for a team were going to root for despite tilman, despite les, or whoever is the owner

18. DonatelloLimestone

I don't think so, i think everyone is just stating their opinions and it is a message board, thats what you do. if you say something it doesnt mean you're trying to force it down my throat, youre just making your point and we argue, so what? its not like you can't see the transaction trend change in 2018 and see the loops we jumped to save money and the reciepts of him lying to us the fans anytime he can. As mentioned, I was rooting for him too when he became an owner as a local I thoguht he'd seal the deal and talked a big game. Excsue after another what ultimatley turned out to be lies and as a payng rocket customer and loyal fan, I don't appreciate that. He can change, as mentioned hes most liklely going to remain the owner, and i'll be happy for it but when he screws up then lies and points fingers, its ok if we discuss that here too...both are apart of clutchfans, once again we don't have to have some blind dear leader allegiance, that goes to when hardens wrong, morey, mda, whoever.

Nook likes this.
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Nook bringing the goods once again. Thank you!

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  20. TimDuncanDonaut

Brown eats brown.

Tad Brown had Hash brown.

BossHogg713 and roslolian like this.