1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Legacy of Lionel Messi

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by daywalker02, Jul 11, 2021.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

2. Aware

Aware Member

Greatest club player in history and would already be considered the greatest period if Higuain, Tevez, Aguero or even Palacio were in form at the WC. Imagine Messi with a striker like Batistuta? lmao

Jontro likes this.
  3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Ahh

Forgot about the junior varsity cup across the Atlantic.

Jontro likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Great story.

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

He’s no djoko

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It's a short one.

Jontro and JumpMan like this.
  7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Several of the teams could've contended for a title in the Euro imo, it's far better quality than most think, especially now with all Euro teams being somewhat mediocre this year.

8. Aware

Aware Member

Nah, South American teams are down this cycle.
    Argentina and Brazil will always be teams filled with quality but the rest are not great. Colombia is down, Chile's golden generation is on its last legs, Uruguay is just ok, and the rest are very average.

Gianluca Lapeluda was a star this copa america and he's just another guy in Italy. Chile started a striker that plays at Blackburn in the championship. There is no team to really you can say is the best after Argentina and Brazil. On paper it should be Colombia but they are underachieving big time.

ferrari77 likes this.
  9. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

im still trying to figure out why Columbia didn't call up James.

Jontro likes this.
  10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yea, but so are European teams.
    No team anyhow dominated this tourney and looked like even remotely at their peaks of the last years.

BamBam likes this.
  11. Aware

Aware Member

i think its a "get your **** together" message for james and the national team.

Both weren't classic tournaments thats for sure.
    I think the euro teams mostly underperformed while there is just a lack in talent for certain south american teams.

12. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

He said/Coach said thing about whether he was fit or not. Plus attitude. Coach apparently isnt crazy about him (which is crazy in itself) and James apparently has been a little too big for his boots when with the national team.
    Who knows what exactly is the truth or if it's a little of everything.

Yung-T likes this.
  13. Jontro

Jontro Member

ok but going back to messi... i mean he aite. can't jump 10 feet like ronaldo

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I was thinking the other day what it would be like to go back and change the system and have a league system instead of the knockout system.

There would not be as many dark horses.

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Dont think so. Copa was just a two team race. Chile's team is past its prime and Uruguay are not what they used to be. Despite this neither Argentina or Brazil was impressive.

Euro this year did not have dominant team so there was parity. France was the one that could have dominated but they are limited by its manager. Despite that there were several teams that could have won the Euros.

And I am not sure why Messi fans are gloating. I mean the guy finally won a Copa in a two team race after multiple failures. Is that supposed to be impressive?

He still hasn't produced on the World Stage and his performances past group stages in WCs have not been good.

16. Aware

Aware Member

Its not about gloating, its about being happy for him finally getting a piece of silverware for the senior team.

He's as of now the most capped and leading goal scorer for argentina and he's a failure? lol come on man

If Higuain scores any of these, is messi still considered a failure?

or Palacio

Fauilure for argentina would be Tevez, Higuain, or even Aguero who has never been there when they needed him. Messi? no. He's put up with a lot of incompetence from afa going back to things like hiring maradona to the sampaoli disaster yet he's always been willing to come back and try again.

I'm neither an argentina fan or a messi apologist but putting this drought on him is so dumb. In every qualification he's been massive

just thinking back to the last match day of conmebol qualifiers down to ecuador away with the risk of not qualifying and messi scores a hat trick. far from a failure

17. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Maybe for you its not about gloating but I see plenty of Messi fans doing it, which I find amusing.

His performance past the group stages in WC have not been impressive at all.

If he wants to known as greatest of all time he has to deliver on that stage.

He needs performances like Maradona's 86 or Zidane's WC winner and 2006 performance against Brazil.

He doesn't have that on his resume yet. He never raised his game to another level in later rounds. in WC.

Part of it also has to do with the play style. Those players were midfield tacticians that controlled the tempo of the matches by controlling the midfield. That's not Messi's game.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Se queda!!!!!