1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets talked to Indiana about 13# swap

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Jul 9, 2021.

1. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

I think many folks on this thread are really underrating Tate. I think the most likely comp for what Tate becomes is a more versitile PJ Tucker (who I loved), who at 6’5” is similarly undersized, but is still a plus defender on almost every position. Tate is strong, has heart, and has a low center of gravity on defense that makes up for some of his lack of size. He also has better handles and passing than PJ, and is a much more crafty finisher at the rim. If he gets a little stronger and brings his 3PT% up a bit, I don’t see why he can’t be a starter on a championship contender, we just saw PJ do that with a more limited game.

Think back to every playoff series we’ve had PJ on our team. We could have easily used two or three of those kind of players, especially if they had a little bit of ball handling too. I don’t understand people here being all ‘meh, Tate is only 6’4”, next please!’. We need multiple players of the PJ & Tate mold who are willing to do the dirty work to pair with the Greens/Porters/Woods if we are going to be a legit good team.

2. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Good point

3. raining threes

A glue guy on a 17 win team?

SMDH

Now's not the time for a glue guy. Now is the time to try to find stars. Ask yourself how hard is it to find a Tate vs say a mid round pick like Horry? I'm more than willing to take this risk since the chances of the Rockets being a championship contender in the next 3-4 years are slim.

#303 raining threes, Jul 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think swapping Tate for the #10 pick is much more in line with his value.

BamBam, eliefor3 and D-rock like this.
  5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If the Pacers are really offering 13 for Tate and the 24 you take it. That’s value and Tate is 25. We’d be doing him a favor.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I just realized Mitchell, Booker and Lavine were #13. Changes my opinion a bit.

7. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Gordon 23 24
    13 and expirings

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Great point.

sirjesse, No Worries and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I wonder if good 2 way glue guys are hard to find?

I wonder if stars develop faster with good role players around them?

I also wonder if the Pacers are offering the 13 pick for Tate?? Why would they do that...

Corrosion, RudyTBag and D-rock like this.
  10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’d much rather do this and trade Tate, even straight-up for 13.

11. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

I love Tate dont get me wrong.

And i would love to keep him on this team during the rebuild process (same as Wood) to eventually be the "vet" leaders on the team and build on continuity.

However.

If you get the chance this early in a rebuild for a lottery pick in exchange for what could be a great role player on this team.. i pul the trigger.

Tate, Gordon, 24 for 13, whatever contract the want to give up.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. Salvy

Salvy Member

And none of our guys will be out of the league in 3-4 years, right around the time Mobley will be turning into a superstar. Its time to develop our guys, for 7 years we brought in older unwanted talent that were either injury prone or had a major flaws. Like fitting a bunch of random puzzle pieces that don't fit and were never meant to fit. They almost stumbled into a finals appearances but at the price of a complete disaster. We have young good players with upside, does anyone think we can find the production from KMJ, Tate, KPJ and Wood in this draft? I doubt it, it could be years before we find the same output.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think we want to look to the 23-24 season and hope to return to playoffs that season. That is probably best case scenario though.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  14. raining threes

I wonder if the sun is going to come up in the East tomorrow.

To answer your question, the franchises are in different places. Wall,Brown, Augustin etc... could fill this role. To think that Tate, who I like, is off limits is laughable. IMHO

15. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

#13 pick doesn’t guarantee you a player as good as Tate, let alone a star.

Corrosion, Bo6, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  16. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd say that they want to do it because they don't want to spend time on a project player. They may feel they have enough first- and second-year players and are trying to take the next step and it's time to start adding those glue guys.

The Rockets need to be taking as many chances as possible. Tate is a fine player, and an overachiever, but he was undrafted for a reason. His ceiling is limited. Knowing what we know now, Tate would probably be a late first round pick, certainly not #13. It's true that there are players taken at #13 that will never be as good as Tate, but there is the possibility to get someone far better. It's a gamble worth taking, and right now is the time for the Rockets to take it.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  17. raining threes

True

But unless you shoot for the stars you will never reach them.

ashleyem likes this.
  18. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Then they better give us another franchise player. It's like maybe keeping lamb and Kevin martin instead of getting Harden. If any of those players give you anything truly legit then go for it.

D-rock likes this.
  19. raining threes

Speaking of Horry,

Kai Jones reminds me a little bit of Horry when Horry was coming out of Alabama.

D-rock likes this.
  20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

No it does not. (Neither does the #1 pick some years for that matter), but the #13 can give you a chance at a player as good as Kawhi, Giannis, Booker or Donovan Mitchell. I'd also add that having an amazing roleplayer like Tate just isn't that valuable for the next two seasons we have him because we will SUCK both of those years. I'd rather get something for him now than lose him for nothing when he gets paid on his next contract.

#320 Williamson, Jul 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2021