1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for Trading Up to get Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 3, 2021.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Counterpoint: his team made the WCF last season.

D-rock and Sooty like this.
  2. CXbby

CXbby Member

Right how he’s elite at low post, short roll, offensive rebounding and put back, passing is getting better and better, and most importantly he is absolutely elite at drawing fouls. He led the entire Turkish league in free throw attempts and made over 80% of them. He is extremely physical in his play style which contributes to the foul drawing but he also already has all the head bopping to draw fouls down pat, at 18 years old. I think that’s an area that should be easily transferable to the nba and is a high level skill reserved for star players.

3. DonatelloLimestone

reminds me of K. Olynk and Dario Saric

D-rock likes this.
  4. CXbby

CXbby Member

I think it is very helpful to bring up these other euros as comparison. As it happens, Saric played in the Turkish league as well the season before he joined the NBA so it is a good apples to apples comp.

Saric averaged:

11.3 points
    5.5 rebounds
    1.3 assists
    0.8 steals
    0.3 blocks
    23.5 minutes
    18.1 PER
    +13.3 net rating
    0 MVP

Sengun averaged:

18.6 points
    8.9 rebounds
    2.7 assists
    1.3 steals
    1.5 blocks
    28 minutes
    30.3 PER
    24.8 net rating
    1 MVP

Oh and did I mention, Saric was 21 years old when he did that so Sengun is a full 3 years younger?

Deuce, 7uche, Jontro and 13 others like this.
  5. CXbby

CXbby Member

Deuce, D-rock, Plowman and 2 others like this.
  6. DonatelloLimestone

Same turkish league?

Definitely a notche above Saric.
    So with this into account, maybe some of Sabonis? possibly are you seeing even jokic?

D-rock likes this.
  7. DonatelloLimestone

Interesting takes. He rates Cade no 4. Green no 8 too, Mobley no 1

D-rock likes this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He has taken pros and cons with lots of data. I don't think he is giving credit to Cade. He had a lot to do on a relatively weak team. I don't think he will be as good a scorer as Tatum. I do think he will be a better passer and a very good defender. I believe he can become an all star in 3 years.

Taking Franz over Green is a big mistake. Franz clearly has no upside. His lack of athleticism can be compensated by his good IQ, to a certain extent. He has no elite skill.

Green can get better as a passer and as a defender, although he is unlikely to ever become a lockdown guard. He can become a genuine NBA all star. He might take a bit longer than Cade to reach that level. If he works hard, he should reach it in 3 years.

Mobley isn't a number 1 prospect. He needs to get stronger and more importantly play bigger like a 7 footer on most nights. To be fair to him, he has had to be a playmaker, but he had his brother to share the front court with him too. I do feel he can play with Wood. Mobley is a 5 on defense. Wood is the better shooter and scorer.

Addendum: Evan looks complete to many people, but his skill set needs refinement. His jump hook isn't reliable. Ditto with his jumper. He can get there with time. He can be an all star in 3 years as well. I'm still 60/40 with Green over Mobley despite the latter's superior all round game and his height. Green seems to handle physical contact better even with his slight frame against multiple players.

I'm not saying Evan is scared. He might be able to prove me wrong. Suggs remains the dark horse. I wouldn't pick him at 2.

#108 saleem, Jul 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    larry cook, roslolian and hakeem94 like this.
  9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Sounds like how you would rate a draft if you turned the weighting factor for "size" up to a 10. Every single bio is about how big or small a player is as well as wingspan.

D-rock and Rockets4Life13 like this.
  10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Mobley at #1 is not a surprise. As Mobley bulks in the coming years, he will become a monster... giving him the highest upside of any draft prospect. Think about how Yao, Shaq, Embiid, Capela, AD all gained weight with time... always think about 2-3 years out when drafting, not just today.

D-rock likes this.
  11. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

Jalen Johnson is a more athletic Kyle Anderson

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I don't like him. Looks like a David Andersen minus the jumper.

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

thank you its awesome!
    heres the highlights of the article for me:
    “Unfortunately, [21 year old prospect]’s defensive deficiencies have become even more pronounced as a senior. At 6’7, he is too small to guard elite post players, and lacks the lateral quickness to defend perimeter players, even face-up power forwards at the NCAA level. While his effort and aggressiveness will never be questioned, it is difficult to project him as an adequate NBA defender at this time.”

“Unfortunately, [20 year old prospect]’s physical limitations make it quite difficult to project him as being anything more than a liability on this end of the floor in the NBA. His lack of size means he’s quite easy to post up and just shoot over the top of even at the NCAA level, and his poor lateral quickness makes it tough to envision him being able to guard most power forwards on the perimeter or even less likely small forwards, which his height suggests he’d have to. This will be a major hurdle for [prospect] to overcome, and it’s not quite clear whether a NBA team will be able to get past this issue, despite what he contributes in various other facets of the game”

14. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

If you have those two athletic guards moving/cutting off ball and run Sengun like a point center (ala Jokic).... Danger Offensively.

Wood should be traded in my opinion. Make this team even younger.

I agree defensively.

I have a hard time seeing Sengun and Mobley working offensively.

Defensively Mobley would make up for Sengun’s short-comings.

Through all of the Green/Mobley debate, I’m just glad we have some flexibility with what we can do in this deep draft.

A lot of opportunity here.

D-rock likes this.
  15. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

NICE

16. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

He has Kuminga at 17.... interesting

D-rock likes this.
  17. DonatelloLimestone

YEp, apparently the thon maker situation where they dispute his actual age. i;m not sure of this guys background, but he does give a unique take

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

He has had hits and misses in the past like anyone else but does his own extensive research and is unafraid of going against consensus. We know that most of the time consensus is wrong.

Chamillionaire and hakeem94 like this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

18 year old MVP of the turkish league? great offensive and defensive skills, solid size, good ability to draw fouls

i just hope stone is trading up to get this guy... i wouldnt even mind if he takes him at 2 .. the kid is a baller

D-rock and CriscoKidd like this.
  20. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Has Luis Scola part two written all over him. I’ve got no problem with that.

Deckard, steddinotayto and hakeem94 like this.