1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big Big Big Mistake To Take Jalen Green!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Jul 9, 2021.

1. sydmill

sydmill Member

Maybe. I think it's unlikely that they'd trade the #2 pick after a year. And I don't think they would select another ISO type offensive player. They are going to build around whoever they select. Unless the guy is a total flop. IMHO.

D-rock likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

They don't have to trade the #2 after a year they can keep him until the 2nd contract.

Why would they not draft another iso type player if he is the best player.

No team is gonna or should should build around a player just because he picked so high, suppose they realize after 1 year this guy is gonna be valuable but not a franchise guy?

Do they ignore the guy next year who does some of the same thing but at a higher level just because they drafted a similar player last year? That makes zero sense.

The guy does not have to be a total flop, he can still be a valuable piece.

What you are advocating is not sound team building, when you are rebuilding.

If we get a Harden and a Gordon in back to back drafts is that not great?

Dobbizzle, raining threes and D-rock like this.
  3. sydmill

sydmill Member

I would rather supplement my team than acquire duplicative players. I don't think it's outlandish when there is only 1 ball and only 48 minutes. Sure there are ways around it but that's not an issue I would want to create if I could avoid it. Again, it's moot if Green is a superstar.

#203 sydmill, Jul 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    ApacheWarrior and CriscoKidd like this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

One thing I did last night was rewatch in detail the first half of this game. Granted if I recall the second half was worse as the Viper REALLY pulled away.

but in the first half I don’t really see much of the issues OP complains about. Obviously Green isn’t perfect. He has lapses. But he rebounds. He d’d up. He stands in the corner if that’s his role on he play.

KPJ and Green are the clear standouts among the players. KPJ happens to be relatively on fire from 3. Green was off. I don’t think he hits a 3 this game.

that is one thing about him. With his overall solid % he had 3 games I think where he was horrible. Offensively there’s room for improvement even though it’s his strength. More consistent shot. Slightly tightened handle. Better more instinctual passing.

#204 JayZ750, Jul 10, 2021
  5. raining threes

No pigeon holing,

Most of the guys currently on the team wont be on the team in 3 years.

Take the player that has the best chance to become a great player and figure out the rest later.

Mr.Scary likes this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

No one averaged 25 but Max Absamis averaged 24.6. Lol dont tell me Jalen Green cant do better than him.

It's not green speak to talk about "grown ass men". GLeague is where the college stars go when they cant break into the NBA. That league is literally full of grown ass men you got 26-30 yr olds on the roster. Are you disputing that?

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except you are absolutely wrong. That totally was the premise that I was discussing - they were discussing Ben MacLemore's impressive statistical performance in college and the NBA wall flower that he became and my response.

Weird that you think that you can tell me what was going on in my mind better than I who reside in here.

And the NBA is filled with players like I discussed. The most notable example of a player sort of succeeding with that mindset for Houston would be Westbrook last year. Every 6'1" shooting guard that teams draft and unsuccessfully try to turn into point guards would be great examples. Lots of players don't take coaching in regards to role and play style, and the coach then has to re-imagine their role around and build it around what they are going to do when on the court, as opposed to how the coach originally envisioned them playing.

In that scenario, rather than turning into a situational off the bench 3&D like Ben MacLemore, he becomes an off the bench instant offense guy. In both instances the guys are less than they were envisioned to be when drafted, and I personally don't think one version of not-living-up-to-potential is less ignominious than another, but I respect your right to feel otherwise.

#207 Ottomaton, Jul 10, 2021
    ApacheWarrior likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

"Grown ass men" is a Greenism-ism and you are parroting it.

Ad nauseum.

Ottomaton and Bobbythegreat like this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

How many people have averaged 25 ppg in college as a freshman? People toss that out like it’s nothing trying to extrapolate G-League to college stats.

off the top of my head I can only recall KD, Beasley, and Trae Young…and then u can go back to like Larry Bird and Abdul-Rauf

it’s rare

even great college players like Melo and Zion only averaged 22 ppg…Kyrie 18 ppg…Tatum 17 ppg…Derrick Rose 15 ppg…AI 20 ppg

G-League has far more spacing and is played at a much faster pace…college has teams taking up an entire 35 second shot clock and struggling to score 80 with an incredibly clogged paint

#209 Reeko, Jul 10, 2021
    raining threes and D-rock like this.
  10. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Big Big Big Mistake to keep this conversation going

11. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

They would have definitely won the Gleague if KP didn’t get called up. The team immediately changed when he was in the game. I’m still high on Green over Mobley. If green and KP already got chemistry, I would go ahead and pair them up. Pick up a big later. No standouts in my mind.

Dobbizzle, D-rock and ApacheWarrior like this.
  12. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Green is the next Kobe...duh

13. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Judging a player by 1 game is how you sign Cato to a big contract

D-rock, tycoonchip and raining threes like this.
  14. MystikArkitect

This is true. You can easily say Lebron can't win without Davis either. You kinda need both. Lebron without Davis has been pretty much a 7-9 seed in the West.

You also can say for certain that you can't win in the playoffs without defense. I've been on the Green bandwagon for the same reasons (you need a wing who can close) but the Rockets need an anchor defensively and a weapon offensively. Mobley provides both. He'll take two years to fill out and develop. We get another high draft pick next year and draft a wing to put next to him. Those are a little easier to find than skilled big men.

15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I always go out of my way to read what you post.

Consider me a fan of your work

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

This!!

All the posting I do and you summed it up perfectly

Home run Grand Slam

I have failed as a communicator....thank you for your comment

Rockets4Life13 and glimmertwins like this.
  17. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone that thinks we're getting a ready star in the draft is out of their mind. Green cunningham suggs and mobley would all be amazing picks. They are all athletically gifted. Now we look at personality. Of those players who has the work ethic and drive to be amazing. Who's the smartest. As we've learned with westbrook vs paul. The smarter player with the drive/ work ethic wins!
    So far green is showing he is putting in the work. That's my pick.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This should be puzzling to us because I heard about people eating loads but cannot gain weight.

D-rock likes this.
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I can't believe this thread is at 11 pages and counting.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Supplement to what?

There is nothing currently to supplement so you take the most talented basketball player regardless of position until you get the guy to supplement around.

You were already trying to supplement around Green even if he was not a superstar.

Did you really use the 1 ball 48 minutes argument?