1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Great point.

D-rock likes this.
  2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I swear you people just type **** for the hell of it

bumbum09 likes this.
  3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Yes, because this post absolutely added meaningful dialog.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Of course there will be a disclaimer for AD.

Even though he wasn't AD back then.

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Points From The Paint

sydmill likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mobley is also a face up forward.

What position do you believe he played on USC and in HS?

Hint, his brother was the center.

7. platypus

platypus Member

They played him alongside his brother because Mobley isn’t big enough yet to bang in the paint like a center. You can do that in college, especially the PAC-10 because of the talent disparity.

Mobley is not a good enough shooter or dibbler to be an effective face up player without years of development. He’s also pretty wirey so I can see him getting knocked off his spot pretty easily on face up drives.

This is not to say he can’t get there I definitely see flashes that he may be able to. But as a big man that skill gap is harder to pass.

ApacheWarrior and D-rock like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wait wut?

So now we need to draft based on the idea that this #2 pick needs to be the #1 option on a championship team?

Really?

You find that #1 option in other drafts or by a trade or FA, using this logic you seem to think a #1 or #2 option on a championship team is drafted in the top 2 of every draft.

The draft is for talent accumulation you can't e basing everything on is this guy a franchise guy they come few and far between in drafts and can be found throughout the 1st round.

9. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

The way people are talking about Green or the Pistons giving us Cade he must have grew to 7'2" instead of shrinking to 6'5".

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's obvious you don't have a clue of Mobleys actual ability.

Years of development, yikes.

11. platypus

platypus Member

My mistake I thought you were actually trying to have a basketball discussion.

But it looks like you’re more interested in being right and criticizing others.

RudyTBag and ApacheWarrior like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

This is very common in NBA too.

Rockets did same thing with Wood and Olynyk.

Giannis plays alongside Brook Lopez.

AD plays with Marc Gasol.

And if it was good enough for Olajuwon (played alongside Sampson, Thorpe, Barkley) then it should be good enough for Mobley-Wood.

BelgianRocketsFan and platypus like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

LOL.

Says the guy who has been calling others out and crapping on Mobley non stop.

How are you having a basketball discussion when you are saying stuff about Mobley that are demonstrably false.

And then keep repeating them.

And the crazy part is you are criticizing Mobley for a weakness that Green has and that is a skill he needs more to be effective.

D-rock likes this.
  14. platypus

platypus Member

Good points I can see it working ultimately if we go that route. I’d still like for Mobley to gain about 20 lbs to help him with defensive positioning and rebounding if that were the case.

D-rock likes this.
  15. sydmill

sydmill Member

I was talking about your hot take on Mobley.

D-rock likes this.
  16. MystikArkitect

This is pretty much it as well. I dont think the Suns would be a Top 5 seed but it's feasible they would be 7-8.

Everything else you said is poignant. The Rockets aren't one player away. They're a full rebuild away and they're likely a Bottom 5 team next year as well so might as well look at the 2022 Draft Class.

If you Draft Mobley then Wood should be traded for another pick. I dont see Mobley becoming an impact player until year 3 at the earliest. He needs to fill out and his conditioning is probably terrible.

If you do feel like Wood is an All Star caliber player then Jalen Green is probably the pick. I just think we're getting back into an All Offense No Defense style of team. I adore the idea of Suggs and Mobley together. Two amazing defenders and good offensive players next to KPJ and Tate would be a fantastic core.

It's probably Green though.

17. sydmill

sydmill Member

I agree it looks like Green is the likely pick. Aside from my hesitation to buy in to him based off of his high school and aau career and 16 games over a month I worry about how the Rockets build from there. Mobley allows the Rockets to choose literally anyone with their remaining picks this year, next year and beyond. Green does not provide that type of flexibility I don't think. If he hits and is that generational talent then this doesn't matter. If he ends up being just really good, it might be a problem.

And, yeah, Mobley & Suggs would be nice.

D-rock likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Cade and Mobley would be even better.

sydmill likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

DEFENSE MATTERS!

Roc Paint and jch1911 like this.