1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Not really a hot take with Green's name all over the media for the draft.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It took balls to get paid 500'000?

D-rock likes this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Platypus is just being nice. You were putting words in his mouth that he didn't in fact say, which isn't cool. He re-illustrated his point precisely in his last post.

"Fair point. When I wrote that I was more so thinking in likes of winning a championship and facilitating long term success. I haven’t seen it with a big man solely unless he has another all star guard or second banana."

platypus likes this.
  4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Funny how you accuse me of putting words in his mouth when you insert motive into his response. This argument is dumb and I'm done with it.

5. platypus

platypus Member

Suns don’t sniff the finals without Chris Paul or Devin Booker. Ayton was taken over Luka, guarantee if they do a redraft Phoenix takes Luka.

Giannis is not the same type of big Mobley is so I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make? Giannis is a face up forward who handles the rock and a 2 time MVP. If Mobley projected as a Giannis I would 100% take him over Green.

RudyTBag likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I think a comp for Mobley is Sabonis, he has a lot of the same skill sets but his defense is much better.

Mobley is not nearly as strong but I think they will be similar on offense.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What does this have to do with the question?

It was asked if a championship team has drafted a big high.

Giannis was not the same type of big that he currently is and the point is
    he is a big man that is currently in the finals, do you not think Mobley can get better?

Giannis was not projected to be Giannis and Mobley is more skilled.

#1227 jiggyfly, Jul 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  8. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

To be totally honest, I can't think of a more polar opposite offensive comparison when it comes to post-footwork and offensive skill than Sabonis and Mobley. The son of one of the all-time greatest post magicians to ever live, that kid that was doing post-footwork in the womb. The high-hipped Mobley shows almost zero nuance when it comes to finding counters in the post after his jump-hook is shut down. In all honesty, I preferred the Giannis comparisons, because at least that more accurately estimates Mobley's lack of creativity and skill on the block, while highlighting his potential effectiveness.

If you want a Sabonis or a guy with an actually developed offensive arsenal, you take a look at Alperen and see the vast disparity.

9. platypus

platypus Member

No the argument was can a championship team be built around a big man. And that answer in today’s league is no. You can try to word play around it but the fact of the matter is since Shaq there has not been a team built around a big man that has won a ring, even with Shaq he needed Kobe to get him over the hump and to a lesser extend Dwane Wade. The last team solely built around a center to win a ring was when we had Hakeem.

Giannis is a forward not a center, Evan Mobley is a Center, he does not have the skill set to be a forward at all. Even before he was drafted scouting clips of him showed him handling the ball like a perimeter player and playing like a forward. Giannis was never projected to be a center.

RudyTBag likes this.
  10. platypus

platypus Member

I agree with this 100%. Sabonis is a pure back to the basket player with a deep bag of post moves. Sabonis plays like what we all wished DMO to be but couldn’t because of injury and a lack of physicality.

Mobley reminds me of Bam Adebayo and a bit of JJJ but with less shooting. The thing that worries me is that compared to them he has very narrow shoulders and his body type has a higher center of gravity.

11. Houston77

Supporting Member

You are underselling Mobley. He's not a center like Shaq. He has really solid handles for a big man. He's shown excellent passing ability. His mid-range game is efficient. His three-pointer form is solid. He drives well and excels in PnR. And this is all aside from his obvious stellar defensive play.

D-rock and blue_eyed_devil like this.
  12. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

Evan Mobley will be a bust.

But for whatever reason,
    Mobley will be garbage in the NBA.

Nothing stands out about him. Not explosive. Not big. No offensive arsenal. Poor rebounder. Weak. Good defense for the PAC, but he'll be abused in the NBA.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who is arguing for a team being built around a big man?

This is the definition of a straw man.

Nobody has said we need to build around Mobley at least I have not and I have yet to read it, if your plan is to build a contender around this #2 pick you are doing it wrong, this draft and the next 2 should be about talent accumulation and hopefully we get that franchise type player and have enough other talent to fit around him.

It seems you don't even have a good idea of what kind of player Mobley is he definitely has the skill set to play the 4 and even playing the 3 is debatable, he most definitely has more skill than Giannis.

D-rock likes this.
  14. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

A legitimate qualm.

If we accept the thesis that it is more difficult to build a championship team around a center in the modern NBA, and we are in the business of winning championships, what are we doing drafting a center?

Are we drafting for the #2 or #3 offensive option on a championship team, as opposed to swinging for the fences on a possible #1 option on a championship team? Where do we find options #1 and #2 in the future?

platypus likes this.
  15. platypus

platypus Member

I’m not underselling Mobley at all. I can see why he will be a top 4 pick, but he unquestionably is a center. You don’t draft Evan Mobley to play forward, you draft him hoping everything he is shown translates to the NBA which is much harder to do for a big man than a guard.

My whole point is that because Jalen Green and Mobley are so close I’d rather go with the guard prospect to compete in today’s league. Not taking anything away from Mobley. Looking at articles today from Kelly Iko, Jonathan Feign etc there is a lot of smoke that the FA leans that way as well.

16. Houston77

Supporting Member

Agree to disagree. I think the similarities between him and Bosh are uncanny. He'd go #1 in most drafts IMO.

D-rock likes this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Sabonis did not have all of these moves when he was drafted, we are talking about a guy in his 5th year.

My point being is how they run the offense through him at the high post and Mobley has a pretty good spin move already.

I really don't know why people keep saying Mobley has a lack of creativity when it shows how creative he is with his passing ability.

Maybe he just plays to his strengths.

D-rock likes this.
  18. platypus

platypus Member

Exactly my point, take the guard who is neck and neck with the talented big man. Hope he pans out as the number one option.

If he is 80% of what he is projected to be you still have an all star caliber player and can pair him with a number 2 or 3 option.

More importantly regardless of who we take we all need to understand we will suck next year, and we own our pick. And next years draft is big man heavy.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Again, Green was annihilated by the Vipers which was lead by Porter and a bunch of nobodies.

Green did pad his stats in that game but no one holds him accountable for loss like they hold Mobley accountable for Gonzaga loss.

Why is that?

Imanimal and jiggyfly like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

For people that have never seen a young Chris Bosh.

He was much more advanced on the post but there is a lot of similarities in their games.

Bosh would be hands down the #1 pick if he was in this draft coming out of college.

D-rock likes this.