1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2021 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Welp, no Krissy Bryant. Onto the next I guess. I'd assume though that many players have this sentiment, or had, and moved on.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t see Bryant as a fit for Houston. Even ignoring his comments on the cheating, it only makes sense as an offseason move where they would move Bregman to SS, and by all accounts Bregman wouldn’t make a very good SS.

I don’t see a fit for any position players on this roster, although if they think Diaz will be out for a long time or not come back full strength, it could make sense to add a backup SS, but that would only make sense if that player could also hit, and that’s an expensive add for something that’s not a major need.

The Astros need a good late inning reliever. If an ace pitcher comes up any contender should always be interested. But otherwise Houston’s roster is stacked. They should add a crummy team’s closer for now and save their money for addressing SS this offseason (and extending some of their young players).

#802 Snake Diggit, Jul 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    Astrofan59, Redfish81 and Rockets FTW like this.
  3. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Agreed. We have a bunch of 7th inning guys and Pressly Goat Boi but we need to add that Kimbrel type arm.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

These are the closers who should be available: Kimbrel, Iglesias, Kennedy, Garcia, Rodriguez, Rogers, Valdez, Graveman, and Soto. My picks would Kimbrel, Rogers, or Iglesias, in that order.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

GM WAR/$ is a thing? Would love to see the all time leaders per season on that.

as far as the rest, I do think it’s safer to say Luhnow would be able to possibly re-sign known commodities vs. Click being able to draft unknowns and develop them… only because the latter takes years to prove/disprove and Luhnow wasn’t incapable of negotiating extensions. In the end, it’s all Crane’s money and ultimate decisions on how high he’s willing to go.

Nook likes this.
  6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Agreed.

Bryant isn't a fit

Priority needs to be a good 8th/9th inning guy

Snake Diggit likes this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Since your obsession is to draw every comment on Click into a comparison between him and Luhnow (my original comment had nothing to do with Luhnow), on the parts of GM’ing where results happen pretty quickly (ie free agent signings), Click has crushed Luhnow. In the parts where it takes longer to evaluate, Luhnow had good results and Click’s results are TBD (unless you include his time being heavily involved in TB’s drafts, in which case he is at least on par with Luhnow in that area).

Luhnow was a good GM who may have been great had he been able to manage better relations with the league office and other owners and/or avoid implication in the cheating scandal that ultimately resulted in his firing. Click has been a great GM so far, but his true evaluation is still a few years away.

My original comment was simply that Click has been great so far. Didn’t say squat about Luhnow or compare the 2. Mind boggling that you would somehow take offense to that or even disagree.

jiggyfly and Astrofan59 like this.
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Bregman would be a better SS than Toro is a third baseman. :)

Nook likes this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I disagree.

Nook and Astrofan59 like this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

We've already had this discussion. Was just pointing out that your agenda/bias doesn't have to be that obvious. Obsession? I spend far less time pining for Luhnow than some others here... at the same time, I'm not going to give extra credit for Click for "finding roster spots" for young players that he didn't draft.

As far as "crushing Luhnow" in free agent extensions or quicker decisions, we soon forget that Luhnow did sign Yuli, Brantley, extended Altuve, extended Bregman, extended JV, traded for Cole, signed Diaz, traded for Yordan, traded for Pressly. Its hard not to see bias when you feel he's "crushed" Luhnow in big league roster moves.

We know you love Click and his handling of the team Luhnow built. I know Luhnow isn't walking through that door any time soon, but he built this team. Click is going to get his chance to put his stamp on this franchise but it will take some time as you certainly acknowledge.

If they win it all this year, Click is going to get major credit despite not being directly responsible for the core pieces. Sort of like how little credit Patterson got for the Rockets first championship, even though he was still around when they drafted Horry/Cassel and signed Hakeem to the extension. Being there is part of the grade.

desihooper and raining threes like this.
  11. bobrek

Toro has not been good at third this season. I can't imagine a healthy Bregman playing worse at SS than Toro has at third this season.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

By what measure? Inside edge and fwar both have Toro as superior to Bregman at 3B this season.

Astrofan59 likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

You would magically go from possibly the best left side in MLB (Correa/Bregman) to possibly the worst (Bregman/Toro)

Been very disappointed in Toro's defense, he looked good in small samples before, but he's getting exposed with regular PT.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Bregman has not looked great at SS for awhile now. Especially not when he's essentially playing that position on shifts.

If they're unable to retain Correa, I'd rather them get a really good defensive SS moreso than a big bat.

15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Morton was a great signing too

Nick likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Tremendous.... only slightly over-shadowed by his decision not to re-sign him for 2019, and they end up paying a lot more in the Greinke trade.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

LOL extended Verlander…might wanna rethink that as a point in Luhnow’s favor. That move singlehandedly crippled the Astros financially for 2 seasons. $66M for 1 IP.

18. bobrek

I've never said anything other than I think Bregman plays SS better than Toro at 3B.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its fine to criticize moves that don't seem to work out, albeit the JV extension was likely more Crane flexing than Luhnow going after him independently.

The point is whether or not Luhnow was capable of retaining or signing or trading for big-name players to maintain a winning team. He was very capable in this regard, as he was apparently in drafting, international signing, and building teams capable of winning with sustainability.

raining threes likes this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed... I just see a ton of "Bregman will easily take over SS once Correa leaves" type suggestions. I've never gotten that impression based on how they've played Bregman when Correa was out/injured or based on Bregman's SS skills in terms of range, arm strength, and throwing on the run.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.