1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2021 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Correa just volunteered Yuli for tribute. May the odds for ever be in Yuli's favor.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Things are really starting to “Click” for the Astros. Altuve, Correa, Bregman, Tucker, Alvarez, and Diaz were entrenched when Click took over. But he resigned Maldonado, Gurriel, and Brantley, chose Straw and McCormick to fill the OF holes, and signed Castro as the backup C. In 2021, production value for those guys so far:

Gurriel: put up 2.1 fwar, paid $3.5M
    Brantley: 2.0 fwar, $8M
    Straw: 2.2 fwar, $0.3M
    McCormick: 0.9 fwar, $0.3M
    Maldonado: 0.2 fwar, $1.75M
    Castro: 0.6 fwar, $1.75M
    Total for Click’s position player moves: 8 fwar, $15.6M; $1.95M/war

On the pitching side, it’s a little harder to analyze. Certainly Click is responsible for Odorizzi, Baez, Raley, and Stanek. But he also left room on the roster for Garcia, Javier, and other young pitchers (hard to give him credit for Framber or Urquidy since they got pretty established in 2019). Here’s how his pitching moves have shaken out so far:

Odorizzi: 0.8 fwar, ~$6M*
    Stanek: -0.2 fwar, $0.6M
    Raley: 0.7 fwar, $1M
    Garcia: 1.7 fwar, $300k
    Javier: 0.7 fwar, $300k
    Baez: 0.0 fwar, $3.3M
    Total for Click’s pitching moves: 3.7 fwar, $11.5M; $3.1M/war

Really, really hard to say anything bad about Clicks overall execution of roster construction right now.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Now Jose is skipping the All Star game!! I love it. Wish all the Stros would skip the game honestly.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

They don’t want to get booed

The Real Shady likes this.
  5. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

Folks need to stop with this Correa and Altuve aren't going because they don't want to get booed malarkey...it's not like they aren't getting booed everywhere they go all ready...let them all stay home and rest up for the second half of the season

Astrofan59 and Verbal Christ like this.
  6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I think that's exactly why they aren't going. Some of it fans, but I think a lot of it is with all of the other players that were talking trash about them. Many of the allstars directly were calling out both those guys. Fake MVP, should give trophy back to Judge, etc. I wouldn't want to be around those guys either. ****'em.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

They get booed in regular games because they are a rival team. It’s expected. No one gets booed in an all star game setting, so it would be something completely abnormal which makes it less fun for them. The ASG is supposed to be a celebration of their performance, them getting booed just ruins it

marks0223 likes this.
  8. SuraGotMadHops

Double birds from Altuve and Correa and I am all for it. Relentless vilification from ignorant fans, and the league has done nothing to protect him. Not to sound like a victim, because they did break the rules, but the treatment of them has been unfair, especially when you see how other players and franchises are being protected. So take your All-Star game and stick it up your azz.

The Beard, Stephen66, awc713 and 2 others like this.
  9. toby

toby Member

Would love that . . . and then Yuli declines too. Would be amazing..

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Applaud the effort, but tough for people to not see your agenda/bias for everything Click.

Will probably take a few promoted draft classes and deadline trades to really cement this as Click’s roster. For now, he’s still going to be in Luhnow’s shadow as other than Odorizzi/Raley/Stanek, all these guys were either signed, traded for, or drafted by you know who. If the roles were reversed, you’d think the same…

The Beard and STR8Thugg like this.
  11. The Real Shady

They select Yuli, and then he declines to go...

No Worries likes this.
  12. TheresTheDagger

13. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

That's the second time I've seen you make a prophetic post.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Total bullshit.

15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea, giving him credit for Garcia and Javier because he “left a roster space for them” made me lol a little

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Luhnow should get most of the credit for how the team is built, and it will be a long time until we get a good read on Click.

That said, Click also signed Gurriel, Castro, Brantley, and Baez. For what little budget Luhnow left Click to work with, Click has been outstanding even if Baez never pitches. Though most GMs, including Luhnow, are generally good or bad on who they draft/sign internationally with a few exceptions for trading.

Nook and Snake Diggit like this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Glad we are in agreement. Yes, Click did retain some key players but it’s a stretch to think Luhnow was incapable of doing the same or finding some talent with a thin budget.

you will have to explain this last statement further.

Most gms are good or bad at a particular something something? Ok…

Nook likes this.
  18. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Was thinking of some random off the wall moves. How many of you would welcome a Kris Bryant move? Now, I know we have Bregman but Bryant can play some OF. It adds more star power to the team (seems to be a likeable player for the cubbies), a righty who can play 3B in the event Bregs pulls a hammy, play RF (move Tucker to CF) or even DH at times.

This potential move is similar to the Bryce Harper transaction we nearly made. On top of all this, if Correa leaves, we could pursue retaining Bryant since he's a UFA after this season and shifting Bregs to SS.

Anyways, look forward to reading some debate on a glorious Friday.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On the last statement, GMs are typically not good or bad based on being good or bad at trading or signing major league free agents. Most trades a GM makes that fans like are because the GM drafted players/signed IFAs that other teams want, and is just trading future talent for current talent. There are still some overpays in free agency, and some luck, but it isn't close to what it was 6-7 years ago. Being better at judging "unproven" players is where a GM makes his mark, generally, that separates himself from others.

On Astros signed to free agent deals or extended that aren't still in club controlled years, Click's WAR/$ this year is higher than Luhnow's. It is also a lot higher than most other GMs since he's been GM. It should not be assumed Luhnow would have made the same or equivalent moves as Click unless one is willing to assume Click would have made the same or equivalent moves and drafts to Luhnow.

jiggyfly and Snake Diggit like this.
  20. The Real Shady

I don't think the Astros would really want him in the clubhouse. Bryant's comments on Astros:

“What a disgrace that was,” Bryant said. “Just watching their apology yesterday, too, there’s just no sincerity, there’s no genuineness when it comes to it. I certainly know that if I messed up big in that way, I’d be the first one to let you know just how big of a mess up it was. It’s just hard to believe, it really is. It’s sad.”

Bryant predicts Houston is in for a long season: “I mean, I’m sure they’ll [get hit by pitches]. I’m sure they will,” he said. “Pitchers aren’t happy about it. Obviously you don’t want anyone to get hurt, but you know, I think if teams are going about it in the right way, and if you do get hit, you’re not going after people’s heads and stuff like that. I think they’re definitely going to experience stuff like that this year.”