1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big Big Big Mistake To Take Jalen Green!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Jul 9, 2021.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Watch the Rockets take Scottie Barnes at #2, just throwing all the Mobley Mob, Green Gang, and Suggs Thugs d*cks in the dirt

We might have a busty draft class on our hands fellas

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is called calculated risk, OP.

Just take someone, lol, this is like a caricature of pre-draft.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What about a stash overseas, rarely been done at the 2.

hakeem94 and jdjd like this.
  4. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not to argue about Green or anything ... but what you describe here is Transition Defense 101.

Trevor Ariza would do this every single time. Coaches don’t send everyone to offensive glass anymore...maybe in college they still do, but not the NBA.

Pick any wing in the game you posted, and you will see them release on the shot, bc NBA opponents will get too many fastbreak points, if you don’t.

jnuge90, Deckard, Deuce and 11 others like this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yep, and that was VSpan’s problem here, in his famous quote, “I was the TMac in Greece” ... he was trying to figure out some one else’s superpowers.

D-rock, i3artow i3aller and hakeem94 like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The one thing about McLemore was, he never took off as a big time scorer at the NBA level.

The aspect he took pride in.

8. PatBev

PatBev Member

“Defense is how you get hurt”- Charles Barkley

9. csc177

csc177 Member

Nahhh. One game. One data point. You’ll never be a good GM making impulse decisions like this. You can find the same thing for each of the too three players.

Mclemore? Lol doesn’t have the pedigree and Was never a five star recruit or ranked the number one player in the country. Green is 19 and is already the real deal - once his game matures (which by all accounts it will given reports of his work ethic) we’ll have another superstar in h-town

10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Jalen Green:
    • One dimensional game on offense: Playmaking ability is limited, passing is limited, Shooting form is not ideal. Classic "ball hog" who goes off script and outside of the offensive set to "get his" and jack up shots.
    • Defense: Weak and his ability to become a plus defender is in question due to his small frame for a SG/SF
    • Effort Level: Inconsistent
    • Youtube dunk reels: Great!
    We are picking Mobley if he's there.

Roc Paint and blue_eyed_devil like this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

dudes will watch 1 game or 1 highlight reel, or read 1 article, and that will be enough for them to flip flop…this is why I can’t take a lot of people talking about these prospects on here seriously

Caesar, jiggyfly, Deckard and 13 others like this.
  12. anchel

anchel Member

The "one dimensional" thing speaking about scorers can be tricky, is KD a one dimensional player? Tatum?...
    Yes, Green won't be a great p&r player, but he can be NBA elite at scoring. He can score big time shots against top defenders, and that can be special.

Scorers' defensive intensity tends to be intermittent, but he has shown he can be a very good 1on1 defender when he's focus. By the way, I'm not sure if KPJ has shown that.

13. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Thank you Robbie380….agree with you as well on Mobley. Fear that he may be more Durant skinny where the 30lbs may not go on so easily. He at least plays good defense with a high iq, but worried he may get pushed around a bit in the NBA. Suggs may be safest bet, but pick #2 just seems too high for him. Rockets should work a trade with Toronto or cross their fingers and hope Mobley doesn’t bust on them at #2. Green is definitely the most talented of the group, but I just don’t believe you can “teach” someone how to hustle and give a strong effort (which is what defense is all about). PJ Tucker has made a career in the NBA with basically just those two features Green is missing. I’ve watched a lot of Green’s full high school game tapes and had the same concerns, but thought he’d improve on that end in the G-League and it just doesn’t seem to be his style of play. Maybe Silas could turn him into a defensive monster, but I still think defense is more about heart, iq,and hustle more than anything else and it reflects poorly if a player throughout his entire career has given zero effort on that side of the ball.

robbie380 likes this.
  14. Rocket_Man_2.0

You guys suck at evaluating talent...Jalen Green will be the best player out of this draft. I'm going to enjoy bumping this thread when it happens!

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Classic Clutchfans, two weeks ago everyone was celebrating that we are getting an all-star with either Green or Mobley.

Now Green is Bmac and Mobley is Thabeet.

I am convinced Clutchfans just don't want the team to succeed and just want to argue and be right on the internet

16. i3artow i3aller

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I ended up being overly negative about Green simply because the hype behind him is so over the top ridiculous and is so detached from reality.

I've recently taken a step back and reevaluated Green ignoring the hype and he's a decent but super raw prospect with a ton of holes in his game....but there's enough there to where he could end up a very good player so him being in the conversation for a top is justifiable....but imo he's the 4th best prospect in this class and could very well end up lower down that list in a redraft 5 years from now.

That said, maybe he figures it all out and everyone else ends up busts. You never know.

BigggReddd and D-rock like this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Imagine making an 'informed opinion' on only one game.

[​IMG]

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

20. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

Hey if it saves t*** some money then Im all for it.

Caesar, D-rock and daywalker02 like this.