1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What about #23 and #24?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kiwirocketsfan, Jun 24, 2021.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Not sure what you're trying to say. Giannis is only 26 and was a development project the first few years of his career, of course his last four seasons are going to be better than his career averages. Even with those development years his first eight seasons are almost unmatched. If Thor gets one season averaging 21/9/4.5 I'll eat my hat.

saleem likes this.
  2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Smart move by him.

j@amc, coachbadlee, Corrosion and 2 others like this.
  3. raining threes

We're seeing things the same way. Except give me one of these guys at 24
    Murphy,Wieskamp,Verenz

saleem, Shark44 and D-rock like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

SRP

napalm06 and saleem like this.
  5. H.D.

H.D. Member

I see Simmons as needing so much around him that he is perfect for another tank year.

Corrosion, palmsnbananas and napalm06 like this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He looked bad in the combine. Very timid, passive, and slow. Maybe UCLA offered him the bag since he was their cornerstone

saleem likes this.
  7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thor would be fine. BJ Boston is only 6'5 1/2" in bare feet despite his huge wingspan.
    I would rather go after Trey Murphy III instead of Petty. Bassey is an underrated option at the 5. He can rebound and play some hard nosed ball.

ball king23 likes this.
  8. ball king23

ball king23 Member

did bassley work out at the combine or did i miss it

9. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

D-rock and J.R. like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Someone PMed my asking who I would target at #23-24.

First, I would consider trading one or both picks if I can get a good future draft return.

Assuming the Rockets keep both.... I would go for UPSIDE at one and possibly both picks....

I would look at guys that many fall.... Jalen Johnson of Duke.... Keon Johnson of Tenn.... Ziaire Williams..... Usman Garuda..... Jared Butler.... Jaden Springer .... BJ Boston

I would especially look hard and Ziaire Williams at #23-24.... From what people around Stanford are saying, he just did not handle COVID protocol at all.... the same is being said about Jalen Johnson as well...... these are young men, that were away from home and dealing with a pandemic. They both were elite entering college, and both tested out very well..... they are strong possible sleepers..... both are possible all stars or long term starters if they develop.

Keon Johnson is just a physical freak that hasn't quite learned how to play basketball yet..... BJ Boston was TERRIBLE as a freshman and most those types of guys do not bounce back, but he was dealing with a lot going on.... Jarden Butler doesn't have as much upside but could play as a rotation player for a decade in the league....... Usman Garuda is not going to be a star so some teams will pass on him, but he has a chance to be a Nene Hilario type player that is really valuable.

I would also likely take Sharife Cooper if he is still on the board... I would consider Joshua Primo as well.

I like players like Grimes and Wieskamp but not for a team on the bottom rebuilding.

11. Milos

Milos Member

Assuming Mobley goes #2 ...
    He becomes our starting PF next to Wood
    Still do not understand why anyone calls him a C

Just like KG & AD before him, he will spend the majority of his career on court alongside a bigger C because it maximizes his matchup advantage
    Same with CWood but reversed - he is a 5 bc it is the position where he has the greatest advantage

GUARD
    Would like to add a G that complements KPJ's ball-dominant, free-flowing style
    Needs to excel at pressuring ball with size/length/quickness to matchup interchangeably next to KPJ
    Prefer off-ball catch-and-shoot to ISO penetration
    Secondary playmaking would be nice too, but do not want a 'true PG' taking the ball away from KPJ and others

We need consistent grit next to the unpredictable sizzle of KPJ
    Basically looking for exact same type as when Harden was here
    CP3/Bev worked best bc they impacted winning wo the ball
    Lin/Westbrook were poor fits bc they bring very little while Harden has the ball

Jaeden Springer would be my dream pick
    I see him as smoother, better shooting Marcus Smart down the line
    Keon brought the flash for TENN but Springer was their best player, and he did it quietly with an unassuming, selfless style that allowed his teammates to shine

I'll happily take Jerome Butler as plan B
    He is perfect in this role, having already won a title by steadily, dutifully filling in the gaps as needed while also allowing Davion & Teague to thrive
    I see Mike Conley Jr down the line
    Excellent leader, defender, shooter, creator, but consistently overlooked as a core part of a consistent winner
    Tre Mann is often mentioned, and I'll take his OFF contributions as a 6th man, but he's too much of a scorer to thrive sharing court time with KPJ

WING
    Looking for a jack-of-all-trades F here
    Should become our top perimeter defender with versatility to guard pretty much any opponent's top OFF weapon, night after night
    Needs to be able to knockdown open corner 3s of course, but I am done with the limited OFF diversity of the 3&D types like Ariza & PJ
    If Tate was just a little taller and slightly more skilled offensively ...

If somehow Jalen Johnson falls past top 12, I'd get really aggressive trading up if needed to secure him for this role
    I cannot believe he possibly drops so far ... Not when Cade & Barnes are locked into top 6-7 with very similar games
    He's a much better athlete than Cade, and I think in time his jumper will become much better than Barnes'
    He seems like a Batum or Odom type
    Skilled, big and quick enough to play almost positionless basketball (the X factor)
    Rather than a defined role every night, those guys just kind of emphasize whatever part of their toolkit the team needs most to win any given game

Weiskamp seems to be DiVencenzo type of hybrid with standout athleticism uncommon in great shooters
    I'd happily take him here as plan B for the 'glue guy' to round out the starting unit down the line

I like this salty, young, complementary lineup:
    C - Wood
    PF - Mobley
    SF - Jalen
    SG - KPJ
    PG - Springer

#331 Milos, Jul 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    fattz, Deckard, COMPAQ CENTER and 3 others like this.
  12. Dash

Dash Member

sydmill, COMPAQ CENTER and D-rock like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Jalen Johnson already shoots better than Barnes.

His shot is ugly but much more effective compared to Barnes.

Although Barnes has been working his ace off all offseason to fix it.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Great insight.

But Rockets may already have their version on Jaden Springer on the roster now.

Khyri Thomas is almost exact same size and does pretty much everything you've attributed to Springer. And Khyri is still only 25.

Khyri draft comp was Jrue Holiday.

coachbadlee and COMPAQ CENTER like this.
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Bassey was there for the measurements, but I think he pulled out before scrimmages, so no game participation. JT Thor pulled out, too. Thor apparently did well in shooting drills, so maybe he didn't want to screw up that surprise. lol. I read some people thinking both may have gotten promises they'd be drafted by some team(s), so they didn't want to wreck those chances. Who knows.

ApacheWarrior, coachbadlee and D-rock like this.
  16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Bassey should be glad Ayton brought strong AF, rim running centers back in vogue this year. GS killed that kind of center for years with their death lineup. It was all about small ball and centers popping threes for awhile.

saleem likes this.
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He did workout at the combine.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm giving you all 3 with Petrusev.

raining threes likes this.
  19. Adiano-Malko

Adiano-Malko Member

Any of Thor/bones/Jones/Williams
    Or Mann/Murphy/garuba/cooper