1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Givony: Rockets among teams exploring trading up to #1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 7, 2021.

1. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Pistons trying to walk away from the draft with Sexton and Mobley. Cleveland lands the first pick.

2. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm glad that Stone may be exploring the option with them. The deal I would be discussing with Detroit in order to move up would be them removing (or lessening) the restrictions on their pick owed to us.

Aruba77 likes this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Cade makes a bunch of sense for the Cavs - maybe more than the other 3-5 top teams. They have been rumored to be open to max signing Jarett Allen. They have Nance Jr. , Garland, Love. I dont think Sexton would be the ammo needed. Detroit could ask them for the unprotected pick/pick swap from next year and they would oblige. The Cavs could convince themselves this move could at least get them close to the play in tourney.

Mobley or Green for Detroit is still a win in their mind. I wonder what they saw in that Cade workout that has them so open to other ideas? Probably just playing the game and grandstanding too doing due diligence. I'd still expect them to sign the "consensus" Cade just to have a built in hedge against critics and to avoid too much fan scorn. Unless again there was something they saw that turned them off.

roslolian and ApacheWarrior like this.
  4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I would do this if Stone is convinced on Cade.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I would be perfectly fine with this as Green still ends up in Houston.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I wouldn't be opposed to this trade scenario either if Stone is dead sure on Cade but that in and of itself is a mystery if Cade refuses to meet with the Rockets.

7. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

No reason to trade for Cade. Let's pick Green and keep plugging away at 23/24. We will be in the draft again next year. Keep moving the needle

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

can cade beat andrew wiggins 1 on 1?

9. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

No thanks. Green is better.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why would the Rockets trade up? I think when you are guaranteed to get either Cade or Green, you have to be happy. Unless they have some info that one is going to be much better than the other, which to me is so impossible to predict.

Rashmon, jimmyv281 and J Sizzle like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

reminds me a lot of Andrew Wiggins

12. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

With all the rumors flying, Rockets are in "PRIME" position! Time for the "IF GAMES!"

IF Cleveland jumps to number one it really has no impact on Houston unless for some reason both Houston and Cleveland have their heart set on drafting Mobley. I do not think that is the case. Houston would just take one of the guards.

IF Cleveland takes a guard, maybe Detroit is hoping we take a guard too because they really want Mobley. If that scenario is true, the night of the draft Stone should be calling Detroit and letting them know we are gonna take Mobley and see if they want to move up to 2 to grab him! Then we still take one of the guards.

Bottom line: I would not move out of the top three if I were Houston and I would not give up much of anything to move from 2 to 1. (FRP 2 and maybe a future FRP like 2024 (top 7 protected) In other words, not moving up to 1. Just stand pat and take best available.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

just stop it with the trolling

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Stone and the ROX are actually in the best position in this draft if you ask me. Starting to hear rumbles on not being a consensus on Cade. Stone can just sit back and let the peripheral teams make a mistake. Nobody he selects at 2 will be viewed as a bad choice even when everyone has their favorite I think we could all live with the player WE wouldnt select.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I've said I wouldn't select Mobley ..... But yeah , I could live with the pick because I think his floor is a pretty solid rotation player.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  16. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Not sure about that. If Cade falls to 2, and Stone doesn’t select him, there will be some consternation for sure.

roslolian and Verbal Christ like this.
  17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

should we trade #2 and 23/24 for #1?

18. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I would in a heartbeat.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

“A report from ESPN on Wednesday tabbed Cleveland, Houston, New Orleans and Oklahoma City as teams making ‘overtures’ to evaluate what it would cost to trade for No. 1,” wrote Chris Fedor of Cleveland.com.

“Even though this is considered ‘smokescreen season’ around the NBA, sources tell Cleveland.com the Cavs are ‘definitely looking into it.'”

“It would be similar to what Boston and Philly (Philadelphia 76ers) did a few years ago,” another exec explained. “Probably No. 3 and an unprotected future first, maybe even one of the young guys (Collin Sexton, Darius Garland or Isaac Okoro) drafted recently.”

20. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

The best position in the draft is having the #1 pick.

Milos and Verbal Christ like this.