1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Givony: Rockets among teams exploring trading up to #1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 7, 2021.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

There is a generational tier, guys like Lebron, guys you know without a doubt will be perennial all-stars, like it's not even a question.

Then the tier right behind that, generational guys that have SOME question marks. Like Durant and doubts about his strength, or Anthony Davis and the same concerns. These guys are still guys that most know will be all-stars at the very least.

Then I guess Cade/Mobley/Green fit below that tier. Guys that just have a lot more questions but still I don't think either of these guys will be complete busts. They all have some pretty big question marks that could sink their career though.

2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Legit wouldn't even blink. Detroit wants the hassle of making the right pick at #2 they can have 23/24. Give us the easy/correct choice at #1.

God damn Cade Cunningham on this roster would be so legit.

Denovo, csnerd84 and D-rock like this.
  3. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I think Cade is closer to the 2nd tier than The tier with Mobley and green

4. fattz

fattz Member

Cade not working out for other teams is the smartest thing he could ever do.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think it makes sense. Green is gaining momentum and could be the #1 pick. He is also the player I most want.

If Detroit doesn't have a clear favorite (sounds like they don't, its a terribly run organization), then I would look into it. Moving up 1 spot wouldn't cost that much and we have the assets. This is basketball, quality over quantity every single time. You need 1 transformational player to even restart the rebuilding process. If you believe in Green, trade up and secure him. If you think Cade is that guy, do the same thing

hakeem94 and Corrosion like this.
  6. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

I really believe Detroit is sold on Green and that's the guy they want. They are hanging the #1 pick in there for the Cade lovers & doubt they want anything but 2nd or 3rd pick.

sirjesse and csnerd84 like this.
  7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Why is that?

hakeem94, BallSoHarden and banzai like this.
  8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Because you don't want to puncture the balloon called the #1 Pick.

The popular belief is he's #1. If he turns in a bad workout or interview, or if he twists an ankle in a "God must hate me" moment, then he slides.

9. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

That ain’t gonna get you Cade.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

It implies that he considers himself the clear cut #1, there is no doubt that Detroit will take him (they would look bad to their fan's if they don't)

And if they don't he's going to be #2, so why bother

fattz, burlesk and saleem like this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think Cade's handles are a big question mark though and that pared with his lack of burst might make it harder for his game to fully translate to the NBA. If he can't be the point forward he projects to be then he slips into this odd tweener like status, which still makes him a good player to have, but I think he has the #1 pick because teams imagine a 6'8" pg...if he continues to turnover the ball like he does though teams will give up that dream.

If Cade had tighter handles and more burst and explosiveness he'd be in that first tier of surefire can't miss perennial all-star.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Since all three top prospects are so close in talent it's no surprise that these GM's are going to mess with each other in ways to maximize trying to get who they think is the best players but also stealing a future asset out of the deal by moving back while still getting their guy.

I predict though that none of these picks in the top 3 are going to move though because in the end none of these GM's want to be in a position 3 years later where they gave up an asset to trade up to take a player that ends up being not as good as the player they moved up and gave up assets to draft.

Where I can see a trade like this happening is when there is a clear #1 pick talent, and that talent is either a clear Center or Point Guard, and that team at #1 already has their future wrapped up in a player at the same position.

So is Detroit going to view Cunningham the same way because of Jerami Grant??.. Hell no. If Stone & Co. think that Detroit really wants Green with the #1 pick because they want a guard then they'll call their bluff I'm sure. Like Detroit, Houston is in no position to NOT take the best player available. Same with Cleveland and Toronto.

I'll be shocked if any of the top 4 teams trade with each other, but who knows.

hakeem94 and HTXSportsAddict like this.
  13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think you are right on the money.

But they can't get Green in a trade down scenario unless we play ball.

We are in a tremendous position here.

Thanks the ****ing stars we tanked.

BossHogg713 likes this.
  15. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

If they want Green then they’re trying to get something out the deal.

Makes sense

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If this was 2022 and it was Chet Holmgren, Paolo Banchero, Jaden Hardy at stake in a deeper draft I can see moving heaven and earth, but not for this draft class. Stay at 2 and hope next year you have a trade partner and enough ammunition to move up - I'd try to start working on accumulating unprotected picks from next years middling teams just to have an extra bullet at one of these guys.

Maybe even trade down to 3 with CLE if Green goes 1 - get them chomping at the bit for Cade and they give us their unprotected 1st round pick from next year? Still would allow you to land Mobley at 3 PLUS add a lotto ticket for next year.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Honestly, if Cade was unimpressive in his Detroit workout and doesn't workout anywhere else, that leaves Detroit in a tough spot.

**** em, lets just take whomever falls to us.

The masterstroke would be if Detroit likes Mobley and Cle likes Cade, we can trade down to 3 and still get or guy, while picking up an asset.

To CAVS
    #1 Cade

To DET
    #2 Mobley
    Sexton

To HOU
    #3 Green
    Grant

MultipleSauces, fattz and mikenm268 like this.
  18. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

For folks who have Cade in or close to a tier with KD I'm wondering how much they really saw both guys play in college.

Cade is a very nice prospect who makes sense as #1 this year and would most years but he is not on that level or really even all that close to it.

Durant was borderline guaranteed to be a guy who would score 20-25 nightly in the NBA. The only question was whether his lack of strength would end up leaving him as a defensive liability.

If you ignore the people who aren't 100% sold on Cade's shooting, a reasonable somewhat lower-end possibility for him is tall guy who can knock down open shots and provide some secondary creation.

HTXSportsAddict and JayGoogle like this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

"securing the bag"

ApacheWarrior and ElPigto like this.
  20. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Maybe DET has secretly found out that none of Cade's teammates came to his birthday party... if so, he could slide all the way to #6. We've seen it before.

In which case, HOU should keep their draft picks and sign three impact players on what would be a 'very good day' for the organization.

hakeem94 and Verbal Christ like this.