1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Givony: Rockets among teams exploring trading up to #1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Is Cade Cunningham a lock to go No. 1?

Jonathan Givony: Cunningham is not any kind of lock at No. 1 from everything I've gathered. Detroit is continuing to conduct due diligence on a group that also includes Jalen Green and especially Evan Mobley, while also exploring several trade opportunities that have emerged.

Troy Weaver, Detroit's general manager and head decision-maker, has done quite a bit of work on the top of this class, sources say, spending a week in the G League bubble in February scouting Green, Jonathan Kuminga and the Ignite program and then crisscrossing the country in March to take in the WCC tournament championship (where Jalen Suggs had a signature performance), two Pac-12 tournament games (during which Mobley had arguably his best two games of the season) and the Big 12 quarterfinals, where Cunningham had a relatively pedestrian game by his standpoint, going 6-of-15 from the field with six turnovers.

Teams including Cleveland, Houston, New Orleans and Oklahoma City are among those making overtures to evaluate what it would take to move up to the No. 1 slot, sources say, but those talks are at an early stage, and any trade is unlikely to be consummated until much closer to the draft, if at all. From all accounts, Detroit is comfortable standing pat at No. 1 and taking Cunningham but will be active in exploring the possibility of trading down and obtaining additional assets, with Mobley a potential target if something gets done.

That's what NBA teams tell me they are hearing coming out of Detroit's front office. But would the Pistons really pass on Cunningham if the draft were tonight? I still think the answer is no. I would put Cunningham as the overwhelming favorite to end up in Detroit at that spot still, which, by the way, I've been told he would be very excited about. The recent buzz about other options can be chalked up to a second-year GM doing his homework and trying to make sure he leaves no stone unturned with what might end up being the most valuable pick he ever has in his career.

2. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Makes no sense to move up.

3. sydmill

sydmill Member

It totally depends on the cost. If it only cost the Detroit pick which is unlikely to convey anytime soon unless they get someone like Cade then I would do that.

4. H.D.

H.D. Member

Managed to make up both that Cunningham is not a lock AND that everyone is trying to trade up. Two lies to drive clicks delivered at once. Givony is fully ingrained in the ESPN culture it seems.

5. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I’d trade 23 and 24 without hesitation to ensure we land Cade.

6. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I agree

We need way too much

We are not a player away

I would be pissed if we traded up

More assets not less

Hope we trade back into the lottery

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

if the Rockets scouting department and FO truly believe that Cade is that guy and is in a completely different tier than Green or Mobley, then it would make sense to move up

Who knows how they truly are ranking and viewing these prospects.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

Mavs gave up a top 5 protected pick that ultimately became Cam Reddish in order to move up from 5-3…they believed that Luka was that guy, and they were right

the Sixers gave up a 2018 Lakers pick if it fell between 2-5 or 2019 Kings pick top 1 protected to go from 3-1, and they were wrong about Fultz although his shot getting completely destroyed is 1 of the weirdest things I’ve seen…the Kings pick is what ended up conveying at #14

Rockets would need to be absolutely sure

#8 Reeko, Jul 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It will cost much more than that

I'd rather just stay at 2 and take Green.

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Pistons don't know they can have John Wall for their 2nd round picks, lol.

Keep playing hardball Stone

11. PatBev

PatBev Member

Cade seems like he has a ego to me. Green has a ego but it’s more confidence and hunger to hoop

Cade seems like he wouldn’t play well with others he thought he wasn’t the franchise player

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Would be great but probably too costly.

King Cade without a doubt.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't think it will be worth their asking price. I think Cade is least likely to be a complete bust because of his height, handles, and shooting ability, but I think him, Green, and Mobley, are all in the same tier as prospects.

smoothie, Y2JT, roslolian and 5 others like this.
  14. TimDuncanDonaut

I'd feel better if Cade would workout for more than one team.

Motorcade is happening. Pistons is picking Cade. If they don't, Weaver could end up looking like a fool.

If he picks Cade and cade is a bust. This kind of stuff happens. Weaver wouldn't get super blamed. But if Weaver go out of his way to not pick Cade and Cade end up being better, than it'll look real bad.

If Pistons see Cade work out and don't pick him, it's a small red flag.

#14 TimDuncanDonaut, Jul 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

moving up to #1 will cost our 2022 or 2023 1st round pick with extremely light protections

roslolian and ReturnOfTheMac like this.
  17. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Am I the only one who looks at Cade Cunningham and sees Eric Andre? Maybe it’s a sign.

[​IMG]

smoothie, burlesk and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Too bad Cade said he would only work out for one team - LOL

roslolian, 34to11, Jontro and 2 others like this.
  19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

After the Dipo leak I'm not trusting these reports for jack shet

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

It's the pre-draft season, you don't know what anyone would offer if you don't throw out the rumors that the pick is tradeable. It could be a blockbuster beyond the value of Cade. There are also PR guys working for agents pumping values trying to get their guy drafted higher. So, we don't know the reality of how the GM's are actually valuing the players. I have a hard time figuring out how you weigh the relative values between a primary ball handler and team leader, a fantastic athlete and scorer and a 7 foot unicorn.

I do doubt the Rockets would value Cade over the other two enough to trade more than Detroit's conditional pick and I think just doing that would kill a lot of excitement and ticket sales in Detroit. There is a lot of cache with having the #1 pick coming to the team (though we know it's rarely a slam dunk to make the playoff by having it)