1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sleeping on Suggs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by groovemachine, Jul 6, 2021.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah for some reason I thought he shot 28% from 3.

But even with that I agree with you I still have Mobley over him.

hakeem94 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  2. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

or KPJ? ;)

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

If his biggest selling point is his next level vision and big body to drive inside does it make sense you get him to be the 2ndary ball handler?

groovemachine likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

I think KPJ is better PG honestly.

What he accomplished as 1st time PG at the NBA level was in fact eye opening.

BallSoHarden, Possum and hakeem94 like this.
  5. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

In my estimation, Detroit and Toronto are in the best positions... Cade at 1 and Suggs at 4 are low risk, high reward picks. I'd be interested in seeing if Toronto wants to move up.

BigggReddd, BallaDoc and hakeem94 like this.
  6. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Agreed, in theory Suggs can play off the ball and run point when KPJ is on the bench, no?

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

It worked for Kyle Lowry as a backup point here, you rotate your best 3 guards and often end up with all 3 on the court in crunch time.

8. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Suggs has the highest floor and I think the winning gene is huge with him. But Green could be special. Rockets need to swing for the fence at 2.
    Gotta be Green or Cade.

If for some reason you could get Suggs at 5 for a fact, I'd be ok trading with Magic get Suggs at 5 and then at 8 you can get someone like Jalen Johnson, Kai Jones, Franz Wagner, or Moses Moody. i just don't see that happening but crazier things have happened.

Possum and Lloyd Estacio like this.
  9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Suggs is an unbelievable competitor, defensive workhorse and on floor leader.
    He has a winners mentality, but offensively struggles with his shot and his dribbling. Can he develop? Sure! There is every chance he is a better pro than Green. But unless we trade back, we can't take Suggs. He isn't the 2 pick.
    Green and Mobley have talent for days in comparison.

D-rock and Possum like this.
  10. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

I love Suggs, I actually think he will be great, but you have to go Green or Mobley (and i’m not much of a mobley fan)

11. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I love Suggs and believe he is bust proof. He's the type of player that has the drive and leadership skills to will his team to victory in the playoffs.

I think the range of outcomes for Suggs is something like an above average guard to a 3rd team all-NBA player. The range of outcomes for Jalen Green would be a bust (if he gets injured and loses athleticism for instance) to a 1st team all-NBA player. The range of outcomes for Evan Mobley is an above average big to a 1st team all-NBA player. So Suggs probably has the highest floor but lowest ceiling. Safe pick though, and someone who can elevate those around him. What we absolutely can't have happen is to miss on the #2 pick. That would be disastrous and set us back years. Picking Suggs avoids that scenario. The dream scenario for me is to trade back to #4 with Toronto, gain their 2022 first round pick, and then take Suggs.

D-rock, BigggReddd, Possum and 2 others like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think we have the management people or the fans (majority of fans) to recognize that.

I agree that he doesn't have a high bust potential but he could be stuck in NBA mediocrity relatively speaking like a lot of NBA players though.

Furthermore I am really surprised that people think KPJ is the sure PG of the future and that is the end of the conversation.

He is more of a scorer who can assist IMO.

I am fine with that, and I think there is going to be more than just 1 Suggs in the draft, could be 2.

Lloyd Estacio and hakeem94 like this.
  13. anchel

anchel Member

And what has he exactly accomplished in the NBA? I haven't seen him being a regular winning player yet.

No offense to KPJ but there is a reason why the kid was drafted at 30 in his draft, while Suggs has that winning pedigree as the best player and leader of the best college basketball team.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I think I may start riding with Suggs to bring balance to the force, not because he would be the best player for the team necessarily, but at least everyone left from the Mobley/Green detritus could find something to agree on!

15. rocketseagles07

The whole, “winner” thing is always hilarious to me as if it’s a one player thing. Go look at the best players in the league and tell me how much what they won in college has translated.

Winning in college doesn’t tell us anything about how your pro career is going to go. I like suggs, especially with good players around him. He doesn’t have a Jalen Green ceiling

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Sure, the Raptors are at 4th.

#36 daywalker02, Jul 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  17. Rockets4Life13

1. Baylor won
    2. KPJ is 21
    3. Carmelo Anthony was once a "winner" in college... is he a winner now?

No player at 21 is a winner, btw.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Odds that Jalen Suggs has a 50 & 10 game vs the best defender/defensive team in the game by his 3rd season?

Possum, D-rock and Rockets4Life13 like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think people forgot that Young Melo was on his way to be a superstar with Denver, then he chose Madison Square Garden.

And he quit learning playing Defense and the fundamentals.

First of all, you'd need a 'winning' organization or someone like Pops to teach you winning.

20. sydmill

sydmill Member

Maximizing assets, I think, requires the #2 pick to be spent on highest upside. That's Cade/Mobley/Green. I would consider a move down to 4 to pick Suggs or one of the aforementioned guys if the offer were correct. #4 and another 2022 first would be enticing. I really would like to have the ammo to move up next year if the Rockets end up with a mid lottery pick.

fattz, D-rock and saleem like this.