1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

Bradley Beal’s averages after his 1st 4 seasons

16, 4, 3 on 43/40/78 shooting splits and 52% TS…an offensive rating of 103

BPM of .05 and VORP of 1

Just wondering, what would y’all be saying about Jalen Green if he had this type of production for the 1st 4 years of his career as our #2 overall pick?

What type of production are people hoping to see?

Deuce, Rudyc281, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

It’s Green vs Cade for the top pick. If Cade is there, you don’t think about Mobley.

Rudyc281 and Dobbizzle like this.
  3. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Hell, Cat Mobley put up 15, 19, and 21 ppg in years 2-4 ... anything less than that from Green would be an absolute bust. It's a high risk/high reward proposition drafting a shooting guard that high imo. You better get a Dwayne Wade or Donovan Mitchell level player.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not Nate Duncan.

5. i3artow i3aller

I'm curious what Booker's numbers were for comparison;s sake. Situations are situational so some of these hypothetical side by sides don't really tell us the whole story.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

One thing that many people are really selling Green short on is his playmaking abilities. People really underrate his passing skills on this board. I myself admittedly was as well until I watched more footage of him today and really noticed that he has an awesome feel for the game (he makes the right basketball read at the right time). Will he be the next James Harden and lead the league in assist? Maybe, but I would seriously doubt that. I think he is a good enough passer to average close to 6 assist a game however. Defense is another aspect that he needs to improve on yes, but I think he could become an average on ball defender. He doesn't need to be GP (The glove) out there, but I could see him getting at least 3 steals a game a night based on his athleticism, basketball IQ, and simply being out there on the floor (with Green playing the passing lane and leading fast breaks the Rockets are going to be super fun to watch here in the next couple of seasons). If I was Stone I would not touch Mobley with a 10 foot pole being only 1 year removed from being a NBA GM. I would let a more seasoned GM take that gamble on Evan. And if Mobley turns out to be the second coming of Bill Russell then great for that other organization. But even if Green only turns out to be Zach LaVine that's still an all-star calibur player. Maybe my reasons for why I don't want us to take Mobley are flawed but some of them IMO are valid reasons nevertheless.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Averaging 6 assists for a SG is ELITE.

There are PG that do not even average 6 AST a game.

jiggyfly and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Valid point, but Green (if we draft him) and KPJ are going to have the ball a lot in their hands. So to me 6 assist a game is decent if he is going to be a high usage player with the ball in hand 35% of the time, which most of us all assume Green is going to definitely be a high usage player.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Keep in mind that Cat Mobley came into the league at age 23 - around 4 years older than Green. There's no question in my mind that Green will have a slow start. None of these 1-and-done guys are going to come in an instantly be ready to be the alpha dog on a playoff team.

11. i3artow i3aller

12. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Which is why I would draft Suggs over Green, this team is not in a position to miss on a high draft pick.

El_Conquistador likes this.
  13. i3artow i3aller

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This .... these are things he just wont be doing in the NBA ....They are "pretty good for 5 but sub par for a 3.

It's like people are projecting him to be KD but KD did these things are a much higher level coming out - particularly shooting where he shot better than 40% from 3 and 80%+ from the stripe. Averaging 25.8 and 11.1

Now compare Mobley's numbers .... 16.4 & 8.7 on 29% shooting from 3 and 69% from the stripe.

He's simply NOT this elite offensive prospect that people are making him out to be. I'm not using the #2 pick on a guy who projects to be a 15/8 guy no matter how good his defense is.

HP3 and RasaqBoi like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

THIS!!!

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

No one is saying Mobley is elite OFFENSIVELY.

He is elite DEFENSIVELY and has the skills, IQ and athleticism to improve offensively.

Mobley is the best 2 way prospect in top 5.

Not debatable.

17. Salvy

Salvy Member

And what's crazy is he could be elite offensively. He has the height, speed and fines with a good 3pt jumper unlike Giannis but with every skill Giannis posses. If Mobley gets stronger and he will he will absolutely torch teams on the offensive end. Its honestly a no brainer for Houston.

palmsnbananas and D-rock like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

The Mo Bamba comparisons have always been silly.

And this coming from a Mo Bamba fan.