1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Who is doing that?

I have seen advanced statistics and reasons for Mobley discussed on this site.

Not liking Mobley is perfectly fine (I don't even know if I would take him at #2).

D-rock likes this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Howard is a guy who has relatively skinny legs for his size too, he's all shoulders, and I think that really hindered his offensive abilities because he for the life of him couldn't move guys when trying to back down in the post, he has to rely on his quickness but doesn't have the handles for all the spin moves, he draws offensive fouls like a mad man trying to create space with his massive upper body

Nook likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am talking about the fact that you just ignored his technical analysis of Mobley like you complained about people doing with the podcast.

He posted some stats and you just **** on them as if that was his entire argument.

And when people talk about all of the guys who had better stats in the GL like B Thomas, KPJ and Hartenstein you ignore that but still prop up Green.

Is his GL stats not something you point to?

D-rock likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Drop them facts my guy.

Nook likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

So?

KAT was expected to be an elite defender by a lot of scouts and coaches.

He has been everything anyone could ask for from the offensive end, his issue has been on the defensive end where he doesn't really seem all that motivated and has mediocre instincts.

Mobley has very strong instincts on the defensive end, I cannot speak as to what his motivation will be in a handful of years.

My point being, if you are expected to anchor a defense at the 5, then you better do it or it will be a disappointment. Even the greatest passing big man since Bill Walton and MVP has struggled to win in the post season because of his defense.

That goes for Mobley too...... the Rockets need to decide is he a defender like Al Horford, someone that can defend their man and help out some..... or is he a real anchor on the defensive end. If he is a true anchor, then the Rockets need to take Mobley; especially with his offensive upside.

HTXSportsAddict and D-rock like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Howard was very boxy, he lacked fluidity or any real dexterity. As an athlete he was amazing, and he had GREAT measurables as well... he just lacked any fluidity, and ability to control the basketball and lacked any touch or feel for offense..... Mobley isn't NEAR the natural athlete or specimen that Howard was.... but Mobley is more nimble, has far better body control, has arguably quicker feet and has a feel for the game on the offensive end of the floor.

A lot was made of Howard being a dumbass, but really by the time he was in the NBA, it was too late.... he just lacked some of the natural talents to be a real offensive force. His defense and ability to clear up for easy baskets should have been accepted and embraced better.... he wasn't as fluid or as strong as Shaq and he wasn't as gifted with agility and touch like Hakeem.

HTXSportsAddict and ThatBoyNick like this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

to me, all the stuff he’s doing like putting the ball on the floor, shooting, dribbling in transition, etc is in the category of “nice for a guy his size”…for an actual wing tho, it’s subpar

I am not high at all on Evan Mobley the wing player

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He said Mobley had the best +/- in college basketball. He wrote like 4 lines. I was specifically referring to bullet points and bullet points of analysis, which JR had quoted.

So... he didn't do analysis but just posted some random stats?? I've mentioned some of the other players that led the NCAA in box +/-. AGAIN.. the post i was referring to did an in depth look at his game and how it would translate to the NBA.

I mean should all stats be ignored? of course not. But scouting analysis is looking at a game and how it translates. Most college teams barely play anything close to a similar schedule for example.

See above. There's countless examples of stats that matter, and don't matter. KD had a 51% ts his rookie year. we can't jsut go on stats alone.

edit to add that again I like Mobley and appreciate he has good stats and wound much rather they be good then bad, and most lotto picks are going to have good stats. We’re choosing between a couple players at the 2/3 spot in a draft. Most stats should be good and where they’re bad they’re worthy of discussion… in context.

for example….. EVERY TIME someone points out Mobley isn’t a good three point shooter… all I hear from Mobley fans is “but he has good form!” Ok… so I’m willing to factor in that context

#1048 JayZ750, Jul 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    dmoneybangbang likes this.
  9. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Great point! I even followed Drummond when he was younger. He was a guy that could put the ball on the floor and get to the rack in HS. Very easy to do that kind of stuff when you are playing against waterboys, quite different when you are playing against grown men.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

his handle will be cookies in the NBA…it will be easy to dig in and strip him, and he won’t be able to just bully his way to the rim

his shooting in college: 30% from 3 and 69% from the line…ok for a guy 7 ft since most big guys can’t shoot a lick, but it will still need to improve a ton before I’m ok with him taking a lot of jumpers

my hope if Mobley was drafted and an outcome I would be more than ok with

-elite rim protector, and able to handle himself defensively when switched out on the perimeter…the type of big that has a tremendous impact defensively…the guy where we’d be seeing tweets showing how much better the defense is when he’s on the floor…the type of big who won’t be a liability in a playoff series when teams go small like Rudy Gobert and so many other bigs are

-probably won’t be a great rebounder, but at least be good…not a Porzingis who can’t secure a defensive board if his life depended on it even tho he’s 7 ft tall

-through a combo of alley oops, running the floor in transition, putbacks, occasional drives and occasional jumpers is able to get around 17-18 ppg

it’s a lot, but I don’t think it’s an outlandish outcome for him…if all that happened, Mobley could definitely end up being a better and more valuable player than Jalen Green which is why I no longer try to just dismiss him like I was doing earlier

jiggyfly, Dobbizzle, BallaDoc and 3 others like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Good listen but end of day, Nate Duncan opinion is just like any of ours.

He is not a NBA expert by any stretch of the imagination, simply a lawyer who developed a fairly successful podcast.

12. Rockets4Life13

How could you forget Clint Capela? :eek:

13. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

I'm with you, I see it the same way bro. If the FO decides to take Mobley over Green/Cade then cool, I won't be mad. Obviously there are more things that they are privy to than just us regular Joe Blows. Perhaps Evan will wow us in the interview process. But Mobley just seems like a jack of all trades but a master of none to me currently. It's too many what it's for me (of course all of the prospects are what if's including Cade) when it comes to Mobley. If Cade and Green are even fringe all-star players and Mobley is not that still might be enough to get Stone fired. Proceed in this draft with CAUTION STONE...

Dobbizzle likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Mobley will be drafted as a post defender… if he cannot defend the post, he isn’t a top 20 pick. So the idea of him being a wing is unlikely. Now, will his handle and shot improve to the point where he operates on the perimeter offensively? Yeah that’s possible.

jiggyfly, groovemachine and D-rock like this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

Not many of us have a successful podcast using our opinion…

He’s certainly more of a NBA expert than tweets.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agreed, not all tweets are equal.

Just like not all podcasts are equal.

But end of the day he is still Nate Duncan and Nate Duncan is not a NBA expert.

And even the experts are not always right.

This is the whole point of discourse.

jiggyfly, Roc Paint and Nook like this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

Really? Then who is a NBA expert?

18. dmoneybangbang

So Mobley and KAT have different bodies. KAT had the body that projected to be a traditional center while Mobley is more of an unknown with his high center of gravity. There's a reason why he struggled rebounding and boxing out and there's somewhat of a chance he ends up playing more like a giant wing. I just think there's too much variance with Mobley to be certain he can be a defensive anchor.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’d be upset if Cade was on the board and they took Mobley…Cade is the one guy it’s hard for me to see not being good and a valuable player in this league…even if he’s not a franchise player or superstar, a 6’8 wing that can shoot and do at least some playmaking will be pretty valuable…he can play multiple positions

Jalen Green if he doesn’t meaningfully improve his playmaking and defense could be a 1-dimensional scorer who u can only play at the 2 because he won’t be skilled enough to be a true combo guard, and he won’t have the size to play the forward position…he would have no positional versatility and be a scorer that provides nothing else…that’s my low end outcome for him

and yeah, Mobley has the most what-ifs…I’ve seen the range on here for him go from AD/KG to bust/out of the league in 3 years

20. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Truth. Cade at 2 is an absolute no-brainer. We should pray Detroit buys the Green or Mobley hype.