1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Evan Mobley scouting report - Nate Duncan podcast

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spacemoth, Jul 6, 2021.

1. dmoneybangbang

You are in a thread where there's a podcast on the subject and JR even went to the trouble of creating a summary...... but yet you refuse to even look at it and expect just to have all your questions answered.

2. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I just don't see it I guess. He seems a decent defender, but nothing mind blowing, especially when I compare his tapes to past players who seemed way more dominant on that end of the floor but were mostly busts in the league. He seems way too light and gangly to be as effective a rebounder in the NBA, and doesn't seem to have that hustle in him where he's gonna go at the boards the way a big needs to in the NBA. His passing whilst nice is mostly surplus to requirements for most teams if they have the necessary ball handlers to be competitive. His shot and offense in general outside of passing is way below par, he can hand a ball but not that well and he'd be an easy steal for any of the good shorter defenders in the league if he stayed putting the ball on the floor. I'd draft him with a later pick, he shows tons of potential, but as far as I can see none of it has been truly realised in any way that he'd make much of an impact for years for this team. We might only get one top 5 pick in this entire rebuild, I personally would go for whoever is left of Cade/Green and build around them as the future franchise player. Mobley to me seems more like the sidekick to the franchise player, which is great if you have that player already, but we could use out #2 pick on a #2 guy and then never get another top 5 pick leaving us with lower lottery picks and trades to find our star player. Just seems like the bad strategy to me.

Htown's Finest likes this.
  3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

This is the difference between a fan's casual observations, and using data to evaluate a player. Statistically, Mobley was TOPS in the NCAA in defense and box score +/-. That is a much stronger and well-substantiated argument than someone using the "He seems" line of thinking which appears to be based on visual observations and subjective judgements. You don't have to stroke your chin and muse whether he's a great defender -- we have hard data which proves the point.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I did read it what are you talking about?

I said so in my previous post.

Anyway what does that have to do with refusing to answer the question?

Why is Mobley more of a variance than Green?

5. dmoneybangbang

My mistake. So you read it (still a snobby way of replying, asking why their opinion should matter in a thread about their podcast) .... and are still confused on their opinion? You are still confused why they think there's a lot of variance or you disagree with it?

There's a big difference.

I answered it and you disregarded it. Keep up.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The same could happen if we pick Green.

If we can get a #2 guy in this draft nobody should be upset.

What is your strategy?

Is it based on Green being a franchise guy?

If that does not happen what then?

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

As long as we don't take Suggs, then I'm cheering for whomever we get.

Cade, looks most likely of the 3 to be an all star one day.
    Green - defensive question marks, also some offensive could be a 25ppg guy? Mildly concerning he was under 18ppg in the Gleague (compare KPjr 24ppg) - a project.
    Mobley - definite questions marks, higher ceiling, more chance of a bust than Green. If he went 11-5-2 his first year in the league, what would we all say?!?

Dobbizzle likes this.
  8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

#2 picks are (sadly) often busts...
    Just hoping whomever we get works out!!

HTXSportsAddict, ArtV and jiggyfly like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am not confused on their opinion, I just don't take it as gospel, they said some interesting things, I don't see the JJJ comparison but I did not see him a lot in college.

So your answer is the unicorn thing?

Really?

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That he is a rookie still trying to figure it out?

And those stats leave out a lot of other things in his game so they would not tell the same story.

Those could easily be Greens stats as well and I would say the same thing.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

LOL. "Take it as gospel". No one takes it as the word of god.... but noted you needed to denigrate.

Again, if you've read Mobley's evaluation then you'd see he's being viewed as a two player who will do a bit of everything at 7 foot and 215 lbs. That's kinda what a unicorn is in the NBA.....

12. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Let me save you guys 40 minutes of your time. The podcaster basically believes that Mobley will be an Al Horford type on the offensive end (3rd option, face up game, limited post game), and has some tools to be a pretty good defender based on his IQ (but might get put in the goal when trying to guard the 280 pound centers of the world). They mentioned JJJ a lot (not surprised since I've been one of the first guys on this board saying Mobley reminds me of JJJ) and Ayton. They also really really questioned Mobley's motor, which is something many of us "Mobley skeptics" have stated too. They were not very blown away by his rebounding either. Overall they think Mobley might turn out to be decent but they still have Cade and Green over him. That's the down and dirty quick take from the podcast. Your quite welcome, now all your likes belong to me(lol j/k)!

13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

^This

When you start comparing/mentioning names of other bigs that have made it like AD and Duncan, those were clear #1 picks. Mobley is not that. The history of picking bigs at 2 is mostly bad.

14. ballgame

ballgame Member

Me too

15. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Of course, the same could definitely happen if we take Green, I just think it's a hell of a lot less likely to. Green is somewhat easier to project, he's either going to bust or he's going to be a scorer. We know what players of his archetype are like and what they do (good or bad ones.) The big problem I have with Mobley is his appeal seems to revolve around this "unicorn" notion, but what is that exactly? He's not going to be another AD, just not remotely the same type of player and he's way too skinny for that. He has a very primitive offensive game, we're having to go with "if he develops a shot" "if he develops a post game" "if he gets better on the glass" that's a lot of ifs. His defensive game is what's most touted as his big skill but he doesn't look anything special on that side outside of his versatility, and plenty of college kids have looked way more dominant on that side than he does and not developed into anything near a star. I'm not saying he doesn't have the potential to be an amazing player, I'm saying that to get there will take a lot more work than it would with Cade or Green and that I'd spend my #2 pick on one of the players it's much easier to project, with more polished games in the role they're expected to perform.

Htown's Finest likes this.
  16. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Somehow I found it in me to finish that podcast! So ****ing bad man! Just word vomit from both guys trying their damnedest to convince you they’re smart!

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Username checks out

JMAD21 and vator like this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And Greens appeal seems to revolve around the Kobe notion both are far fetched, I have no idea why anybody is judging Mobley because they don't see Unicorn (I don't) if Green is not Kobe or Wade is he a bust?

Ad was not the same type of player leaving UK and if you think Mobley has a primitive offensive I don't know what to tell you, Capella had has a primitive offensive game, Mobley is already light years ahead.

Its very evident you are looking at Mobley through biased eyes IMO, does nothing special on defense?

I could say I have not seen Green doing anything special on offense, except be a above average athlete, I have seen guys who were way more dominant as well, I don't understand why its gonna take a lot more work than Cade or Green, he just needs to refine his jump shot and gain weight IMO.

Players like Green are easier to project and they still don't pan out.

Take a look at Benny Mac coming out of Kansas.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Denigrate

Wut?

I am aware of what a unicorn is and it's far more than being able to do a little bit of everything and it still has nothing to do with why Mobley has a higher variance than Green.

20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'm not going for 1 guy over another.

Those were Bosh's stats his rookie year.

jiggyfly likes this.