1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Evan Mobley scouting report - Nate Duncan podcast

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spacemoth, Jul 6, 2021.

1. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Who do you listen to? Just curious!
    I think his podcast with John Hollinger is the best bball podcast going.
    He can be pretty Rain Man-y but he's a junkie and a student (and very Rain Man-y)

napalm06 likes this.
  2. Pringles

Pringles Member

If anything that podcast made me lean even more in the Green camp.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

- Jeff Van Gundy, sitting on a couch with Jared Jeffries, Vin Baker and Juwan Howard :cool:

Btw they referred to Mobley at one point as a "Tabula Rasa". Now that's some scouting.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The diagnosis of professional scouts and what I'm watching is not even closely comparable. Either they're all incompetent or im going to eat alot of crow.

I have 4 years coaching and assembling my own teams in competitive league youth basketball. I have multiple championships under my belt or i'm always in the finals. First time I put myself on the line with my NBA draft predictions

#44 cheke64, Jul 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    Pringles likes this.
  5. Pringles

Pringles Member

Good problem for us to have. I'm not going to act like I am a professional scout, but I do like reading everyone's opinions. Hoping that this relatively new front office's find in Tate and KMJ is a good indictor of our future success in drafts.

Nook likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

I wouldn't call him "low risk". He can be pushed around inside so he must get stronger OR become a better shooter so he can score from the outside. Defensively he is going to be good, he is smart, he has excellent instincts, excellent feet and can guard multiple positions.... the question is HOW good is he going to be as a team defender.

Green has serious questions as well though. He isn't a very good playmaker for others and he has some issues moving side to side.... those are areas he has to improve on.

The only player without serious questions is Cunningham, and even then there are questions about whether he is a good enough athlete to defend at a high level and to score with the ball in his hands.

I think a lot of this is going to come down to individual workouts. Teams will get to see how Mobley handles physical contact and how projectable his shot really is... same for Green, is his side movement issue over stated? How good an athlete is Green really?

There is part of me that wishes the Rockets could move Wood and the #2 to get to #1 and just take Cunningham if there is such variance between Green and Mobley.

7. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I put Hollinger in the same category as Duncan, maybe worse. I was listening to a Hollinger and Chad Ford pod post lottery and Hollinger said a few things that were just straight up false (claimed Mobley was a poor shot blocker! I believe the quote was “he doesn’t block shots!” Lol). You can pull up one game this past season and see that this simply isn’t true.

I honestly don’t listen to as much as I used to. I try to just do my own research and develop my own opinions. I still like Kevin O’Conner, I think he’s one of the smarter guys covering the NBA. Zach Lowe used to be better but I still think he’s better than most. And they don’t really do any draft stuff but I like the No Dunks guys (formerly The Starters on NBAtv). Honestly though there’s a number of guys that are lesser known and use Twitter as their only platform who’s opinions I value far more than the well known guys.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Do they do the same for Green Cade or Suggs?

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who is not a gamble at 2?

Why is Mobley a bigger gamble?

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Curious as to what you think Cade needs to develop? At 6'8" 220lbs he's already physically ready to play the 1-3 positions. His jumper is elite and he's an aggressive scorer and creator. Wouldn't he need to develop the least out of the three?

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

Cade needs to work on his handle and decision making, his turnovers are high…he also needs to work more on his midrange, floater, and finishing at the rim

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How are those same things not a variance with Green?

This is the part I don't understan

We have seen guys like Green be bust as well.

Mobley's dad played in the NBA you don't think he has been groomed just as much or been around professional ballers?

JayGoogle likes this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

It comes with the territory of being a unicorn. Is Mobley a C? A PF? A giant wing? Will his shoot improve? Will he be able to add significant strength? Can he defend Cs?

Green is a score first offensive guard. Not a lot of mystery there..... Will he become a playmaker? Will he be an average defender?

Or you can listen to the podcast as they feel the same way about pinning Mobley down. He's a bit of an enigma.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One thing that bothered me about the podcast was how much they underrated Mobley on the defensive end. He has all the tools to be truly transcendent on that end. Like a modern-day Bill Russell. His ability to elevate without fouling is so unusual for his age.

That said, his offensive prowess is drastically overstated at this stage. Highhhhhhhh hips. Lack of creativity. Etc.

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

In his defence, Mobley put up 16.4ppg and 8.7rpg at college.

He is better offensively than most give him credit for, but the main concern is that he doesn't have a standout skill.

I see potential Chris Bosh in him. He has that offensive versatility to his game. But of concern is his fade away hook shots. Too much going away from the basket - does he have the mentality to dominate?

Again, having said that, he has that intangible 'winners driver' about him. His stock rose through the tournament as his team overperformed.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What does unicorn have to do with anything, that's just a phrase some people throw at and has nothing to do with player evaluation.

Yes Green is a score 1st offensive guard and history is full of them being drafted high and then being bust or just rotational guys, so yeah there is a lot of mystery.

I don't need to listen to the podcast ( I read it ) those guys are just stating their opinion like everybody else do they have some great track record?

Why would I take their opinion over any other?

There is mystery with every player in every draft, why is Green different, what does he do that makes him less of a variance?

Dobbizzle likes this.
  17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Wow. That is very interesting.

My (amateur!) observations of him made me think "here is a guy who influences the game on both ends, and the team overachieves and wins with him out there"

18. dmoneybangbang

That Mobley is being presented as a unicorn prospect..... super tall, super long, switch everything, block everything, anchor a defense, handle the rock, distribute the rock, develop a 3 pt shot, PNR player, etc.

Have you not read any evaluations about Mobley?

So you just want to be spoon fed answers instead of reading different materials and takes so you can form your own opinion?

Stop being lazy.

19. dmoneybangbang

It's less interesting when you consider his strength of schedule. His matchups against top 25 teams were markedly different than when he played everyone else. Even at the college level, Mobley couldn't impact the game at all against Gonzaga.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Certain people are calling him that and it's not something everybody is saying and even then it does not matter toward the variance.

Dude WTF are you talking about?

Lazy?

The reason I know everybody is not calling him that is because I have read several sources and listened to several podcast.

So I am asking the question again why is Mobley more of a variance than Green?

Because some people call him a Unicorn?

Really?

Moe likes this.