1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's where you're wrong, Mobley already is pretty good offensively, he may never be great offensively though without improvement.

There's a difference between projecting improvement and projecting a player completely develop skills they currently lack outright.

One is projecting reasonable improvement, the other is wishful thinking.

D-rock likes this.
  2. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

And Mobley is a liability on offense.

RudyTBag, Omihall23 and BossHogg713 like this.
  3. sydmill

sydmill Member

Props to JR for taking the time. The transcript of that breakdown does paint a picture of Mobley as an unfinished product. But all 19-20 year old kids are unfinished. They said multiple times that they saw a very highly skilled player that if he put it together could be great. They put him in the class of bigs behind AD, Embiid and KAT (along with Ayton and JJJ). However, they also said that if he improved his jump shot or his body (specifically his agility to better defend on the perimeter or his strength to better defend on the block) that their projection of him would change. So basically, as is, he is in the same class as the 1st overall pick and 4th overall pick in 2018.

I think it is fair to see Mobley as a secondary piece on offense and as an anchor on defense. That is at least how I see him. As I said elsewhere, I think it will be difficult for the Rockets to be in position to select a top center who can be an defensive AND offensive force over the next few years. I think finding a shooting guard who can be a primary scorer is a little bit easier (how certain is anybody that Josh Christopher or Tre Mann or Bones Hyland wont provide similar scoring as Green yet are available at picks 23/24?).

I think both Green and Mobley are going to be very good players but I just think that what Mobley brings, if he hits, is rarer and more valuable.

D-rock, jiggyfly and Roc Paint like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Sheesh the Mobley guys sure get petty and emotional - never though Dave would embody that himself, but picking #2 in the NBA draft will apparently inspire feelings.

6. Nook

Nook Member

No one bats 1000, but Dave has been right most of the time.

Deuce, D-rock and Roc Paint like this.
  7. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

As Evan Mobley fills out, I see his interior game as being similar to a modern David Robinson but with wing-like agility and improved outside shooting. Tantalizing upside.

D-rock and Roc Paint like this.
  8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Gotta take emotion out of it. Part of any value analysis is upside, downside, and the probability of the spectrum of outcomes.

Once you do the analysis properly, you’ll see that #2 picks are rare things that you simply cannot **** up on. Risk mitigation starts to supercede the rosiest projection possibility.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I will be happy with either Mobley or Green. There really is no downside here. It's a win-win situation Imo as long as Stone gets to make the pick and not Tilfart.

D-rock likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Nerlens Noel was the top prospect in his high school class.

However he was extremely raw and was not a very good offensive player.

The issue with Noel is between his ears, he had extremely high upside on the defensive end.

D-rock likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

Mobley as a wing just sounds so ridiculous to me

sydmill, D-rock, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You just did the same thing you were complaining about others doing.

And none of what he said means Luke Garza should be the #2 pick.

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Agreed. Acting like kids when someone else doesnt agree and rolling eyes and talking about "just post highlight vids and emoji's" just makes me cringe. For the most part everyone has said their peace acting petulant is not a good look for anyone and continues the mudslinging.

If #2 is about taking a sure pick then there are way too many "If's" regarding Mobley, but then I'll probably be labled a Green fluffer just for mentioning that! LOL

If anyone likes Mobley Thats ok! If anyone likes Green thats ok! Suggs? Its your world boss! No need to create enemies among friends just because of aesthetic, or personal team building preference. We are all on the same "team" arent we?

RudyTBag likes this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats great! Making the delivery of inside information or advanced analytical data more palatable would be cool too instead of the "screw you guys im going home and taking my ball with me" types of posts.

RudyTBag likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

ok, the sh*tting on Mobley has gotten past the point of being ridiculous if Bosh with Bam defense is now being seen as some sort of nothing special player

Bosh was a career 19 ppg scorer (and that’s with his scoring getting depressed as part of the Miami Big 3), an 11x All-Star, and Bam has already made 2 All-Defense selections in his 1st 4 years

Bosh with Bam defense is arguably a top 10 player in the NBA and 1 of the most impactful

people really need to stop

sydmill, Nook, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Thanks for the info @J.R.

D-rock likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who is drafting strictly for defense?

A Mobley pick is not strictly for defense.

D-rock likes this.