1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Picking #2, #23 and #24 who do you...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, Jun 30, 2021.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I like Mann but he is slow and needs 20 dribbles to get off his shot. You should look at the player with the quickest first step with a decent all-round game when drafting offense guards

#101 cheke64, Jul 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  2. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Im no draft expert but I’d like

#2 Mobley
    #23 Murphy
    #24 some athletic tall dunk everything PF

3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I'm going 3 with Bassey, Duarte and Bones Hyland. Three that I have
    penciled in as Rocket hopefuls near #23, #24 or near end of 1st to
    beginning of 2nd round.

Bassey of course perfect in Silas system, excellent rim protector.

Duarte/Bones Hyland to offset the questionable defense of Porter/Jalen Green
    this season. Guarding either PG or SG and playable next to either Porter or Jalen
    Green while the other tests. 48 minutes of pure electric facilitation by
    Green/Porter.

Todd is Chris Bosh. Ok, but probably going too soon for where he should be picked.

napalm06 and COMPAQ CENTER like this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I look forward to seeing which two
    players you target

COMPAQ CENTER likes this.
  5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Your choices are sorta influenced by who goes at #2 and if your Raffy, what you want to do with Olynik.

I assume he's gone so you need a banger to give Wood a break against the big boys so Bassey?
    If you go Green, you kinda need some height (don't know about Wilson) so Thor?
    If you go Mobley then you need to add shooting. I know I'm a homer but I really like Grimes.

roslolian, Plowman and COMPAQ CENTER like this.
  6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I want Alperen Sengun from this draft. I see Scola/Sabonis... Plays hard as ****. I have seen some insane Mocks have him go as low as 23, and some as high as 4. I'd combine 23/24 to get him with whoever we take at 2.

raining threes likes this.
  7. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

This was just a sample of underrated players. There are many others to be had.

I don’t claim to be an expert on college basketball. But mainly following the draft Prospects, through readings, watching videos and listening to podcasts. Generally, I favor players with good stats/advanced stats. Prospects with High IQ and assists. I also I love prospects will excellent defensive instinct and players that can create their own shot.

Out of those 6 underrated players, Duarte is unlikely to be available at 23. But I love to have him. Excellent advanced stats.

The others, are slated to be in the late first round or early second round. Which could create a problem for the Rockets, since they don’t want to reach for a player and don’t wanna wait too long if they can manage to get a second round.

Obviously, it’s also depends on who the Rockets pick at #2. And who’s gonna be on their roster.

But generally I will pick Bassey given we draft J. Green. Also given that Bassey is fully healthy. He had serious knee injury. He would be our rim protector. This Nigerian origin has a high motor and great advanced stats.

The other pick, was between Grimes and Christopher. Grimes wins due to his unselfishness and being a ball mover. Christopher is a better athlete and can blow by defenders. He reminds me of KPJ and could be a duplicate.

Hyland is worth a look. He is a bit skinny and didn’t play against tough competition. But he can really shoot the ball from deep.

8. Convictedstupid

#2 Green. #23/24 if they fall category would like Jalen Johnson, Ziaire Williams, Kai Jones. Guys with a good shot of being there (I think at least as of 7/06) JT Thor, Tre Mann, Trey Murphy. Any combo of those I think would be legit.

9. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

#2: Jalen Suggs (leader/winner/intangibles/underrated defender)
    #23: Nah'Shon 'Bones' Hyland (natural scorer/future sixth man of the year)
    #24: Charles Bassey (big who runs the floor/blocks shots/plays hard)

Others to Look At: JT Thor / Sharife Cooper / Ayo Dosunmu

Suggs
    KPJr / Bones Hyland
    Tate
    Wood / KMJr
    Kelly O / Bassey

10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

#2 Evan Mobley
    #23 Chris Duarte (love this guy's passion and shooting ability)
    #24 One of the Euros: Garuba, Sengun, or Prkacin

wolstein and COMPAQ CENTER like this.
  11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I think we'll be surprised at the value available at 23 and 24. I like both Green and Mobley, but I'm leaning Green because with KPJ you're talking about one of the most dynamic and athletic backcourts in the NBA. With Wood, Tate, KMJ and Brooks in place we have some solid pieces and if we resign KO and draft some size/length, defense and shooting at 23/24 we'll be on the road to building a nice young core.

2 - J. Green
    23/24 (2 of) - R. Prkacin. T. Murphy, C. Bassey, V. Bleijenbergh, Q. Grimes, U. Grauba. A. Sengun.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Easily Stone. I don't trust Morey to make the right choice when he works for the sixers. Don't see why he would help an opposing team

13. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

14. ballgame

ballgame Member

Grimes and Bassey

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

2nd rd or UDFA - Jericho Sims. Unbelievable defense.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  16. raining threes

Maybe even throw in a future pick and somebody like Augustin or Gordon

RudyTBag likes this.
  17. raining threes

I would be fine with Sims at 24.

Athletic, defense first, rebounder. Improving offense. Can switch on smaller players on defense. I see Sims as a Capela type guy.

What's not to like. His athleticism, size will translate to the NBA very well and his skillset was badly missing on the Rockets last year.

coachbadlee likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol is there a reason why Jones suddenly dropped to 23? Dude seemed like a top 15 lock to me I mean he can do everything you want in a modern big.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I wouldn't take him at 24 because of his lack of offense. There are better and younger bigs who can do more now. But if we got a 2nd round pick then yes.

raining threes likes this.
  20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Trey Murphy would be a great pick if we already had two superstars and needed a 3&D role player. Still wouldn't be disappointed if we drafted him anyway.

raining threes and RudyTBag like this.