1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Make a case for John Wall's Value to one of these teams...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 4, 2021.

?

Which team is best fit for John Wall (and why)?

1. LAC

14 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. NYK

22 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. MIA

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. BOS

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. NOP

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. Other

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

porzingis contract is horrible though and hes terrible on defense

mac_got_this likes this.
  2. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I don’t want a max contract unless it’s justified neither Simmons or Porzingus are those dudes…

Porzingus has worn out his welcome in two locations now. something ain’t right with dude. And his contract is much longer than Walls. I’d rather not. Wall comes off the book in one year basically because he’ll most likely be traded as an expiring or bought out

ArtV and D-rock like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Exactly!

That's how much I don't want Herro.

4. Nook

Nook Member

probably the best bet if LAC strikes out everywhere else. I don’t have the numbers in front of me, but the Rockets could even route another role player to LAC if that helps them pull the trigger. The Rockets could possibly rehab some of the pieces they got from LAC as well.

The biggest issue I have with Wall is he still seems to think that he is a number one option and he isn’t on a remotely competitive team. His inability to accept that would scare me if I were looking to add him. If he simply defended and shot open 3’s and pushed the pace, he could be a very valuable role player.

5. DonatelloLimestone

I get luka is unhappy and that makes KP tradeable,but I wouldn't give up on the pair if i were them. Kp is injury prone, but very much a unicorn in his shooting ability size and athelticism and even has decent defensive instincts. A new coach and culture can make that more formidable and if not, they can get much better value than Kemba walker who outside of being able to shoot is a terrible fit for Luka. I'd even prefer seth curry outright over kemba for luka specificially.

Herro had a terrible year, but hes also only in his 2nd year after showng his stuff in the bubble. Herro could come out of the draft this year, an he would still be a lottery pick. Very few can do what he did in the playoffs, Miami i not going to trade him at his lowest for such a low bar. Almost the entire league could beat our offer on him for that.

Wall also has played some 30 games in...3 years...and he turning the wrong side of 30 with a nack for inefficiency and ball dominance on offense and then choosing his lazy moments...hes not exactly an ideal fit for miami's culture and not a promising thing as well. They would be better off with teh depth and versatility of keeping Dragic and iggy over wall. I don't think anyone though is thinking Herro needs a rehab after a sophomore slump. Literally his 2nd year in the league after a successful bump, its hopeful people can get him cheap..not likle.y

Wall has 0 value in the trade market. Hes getting paid more than lebron james, plays half the games, and in those half the games he can lose you a few himself as we saw. Kemba also has an incredibly low value, did you see what he got traded for to okc? What makes you think now they are going to give up KP for him?

I don't see any of these as being realistic. MAybe kp gets moved, sure with kemba, but not close to any of thee trades that are blantantly good for a couple teams, bad for others and make no sense for them

6. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

I keep coming back to this trade too. Ibaka could be out all next season after back surgery and accept his PO which The Clips would have to swallow as dead cap unless they can trade him.. enter Houston.

Kennard is still young enough to be a quality role player on the team, like a Buddy Heild but for less money.

I voted "Other" though because I think the most intriguing landing spot for Wall is with the Bulls.

There's a bunch of spacing on that team with Zach and Vuce. They have empty salary to send out with Aminu and Satoransky, they COULD move on from White who plays a very similar role to Lavine on that team (could work to our advantage) and them going all in for Vuce ended in a bit of disaster (and lost them a #8).
    Even though they had to deal with a bunch on injuries post deadline, when Vuce and Lavine played together they were really good.
    You can grab Wall, get rid of some contracts to still make about $15m to pay Markanan too.

Bulls seem pretty ideal to me.

Shark44 likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Porzingas can at least rim protect.

Herro can do jack on D.

KP adds another 20/10 player to team who is career 36% from 3P. Also averages a STL and almost 2 BLK a game.

KP is also still only 25, also 7'3 with 38" max vert and 7'4 wingspan . And his 1st two seasons in NBA were much more productive than Herro's.

Just because Herro is a little younger and cheaper does not mean he is better. KP is not just a little better, he is a LOT better - better athlete, better production, better fit.

8. DonatelloLimestone

Kennard played sparingly most of the season, but got a good chance in the playoffs was solid, not great.

I could see bulls or knicks, and even clippers possbly biting. Clippers have a blank check owner, but the issue with wall is does anyone believe he is playing more than 50 games. Clippers might be better after these playoffs just paying reggie jackson half or less of wall and continuing to combine him with rondo, beverly too. Wall is the best of the lot, but he comes with so many questions and such a heavy prize. Maybe a team like clippers who really needs to win might go for it. As long as we don't give up our young players or draft assets, I'm fne with it

joshuaao and Grizzlyshark like this.
  9. kiwirocketsfan

Have you watched KP this year? He's physically broken. Mavs fans would trade him for second-hand dog poop if the cap figures matched.

Grizzlyshark and D-rock like this.
  10. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Bailing on CP3 early was a huge mistake, I said it before it happened and I was told by many I was crazy. Most said CP3 was washed up and overpaid and too injury prone. The Rockets should have been the one getting picks from OKC to take WestBRICK. Wall isn't CP3 by a mile, however Wall just turned 30 and has plenty of tread on the tires if he can healthy. There is a chance he could be paired on a team with a star or 2 and other great shooters and be the floor general. All the fans that want to ship him out for a bag of day old chips would be the worst GM in the NBA. The Rockets need to be patient let Wall shine and get a team thinking they are close to a title run if they had a good point guard that could score 20 a game and dish out some nice passes on the break. Then you'll get an expiring contract and a pick that will be a late 1st round pick and maybe some other piece that might be flipped for at least a second rounder.

As far as which team is the best match I think it is too early to tell. Let the season evolve, maybe other trades or injuries raise his value as the season moves along. He'll play a little sharper with another year removed from surgery. Plus another season on this team and with this staff will hopefully lead to comfort. If I'm Wall I know the best way to a good team is to play my way into a trade. If he plays like a star he'll go somewhere good.

Glad you made this tread because I've been think about this since we got him here.

Shark44 and D-rock like this.
  11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think Wall would make Philly better.

D-rock likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

CP3 was supposedly broken down in 2019 too.

Not a KP fan, just saying I'd take a broken down KP averaging 20/10 over Herro and his shyte potential.

13. kiwirocketsfan

Not sold on Herro either, but at the relative costs, age and health, I prefer him to KP.

D-rock likes this.
  14. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Genuine question. Who has more value? KP or Simmons?

I say Simmons, but if KP hits on what he is "meant to do" then his skillet translates better to the NBA.

Hmmm

D-rock likes this.
  15. fattz

fattz Member

Wall in the right situation has a lot of value. The Heat is the perfect storm for Wall’et. They have an identity and leader in Butler & Riley. Wall’et fits perfectly into the team with out changing his game. The Heat can obtain Wall by moving Dragic and Iggy. If we rerouted them to another win now team with other assets the changes of high net return is high.

Shark44 likes this.
  16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Knicks appear to be dumb enough to get Wall

17. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

The team that makes the most sense to me is the Nuggets. They're in win-now mode, and Wall, Murray, MPJ, Jokic and Gordon would take them to the next level, especially for a playoff run. We'd get back Barton and some expiring contracts I imagine, which we might be okay with just to get Wall's salary off the books and to give rookies more playing time. The guys we get back would all probably be bought out.

Another possibility is the Jazz if they don't re-sign Conley. I know their FO said re-signing him is a priority, but then again you never know if he jets for more money (this offseason is likely his last big payday). Here we'd probably get Ingles and a a few expiring contracts, again all guys we'd buy out.

Maybe I'm underestimating Wall's value and what we can get back, but I think he's the type of guy a team in win-now mode will go for if they have a void at PG and that a team willing to make that move will go as far as making sure the salaries match but not much else. For our part, we'll just want to make sure we don't take on any worse contracts, so ideally the majority should be expiring same season and then maybe a few that are two years but not many.

Shark44 likes this.
  18. kiwirocketsfan

Simmons easily. He has elite skills currently.

KP had huge potential and if he was, what everyone thought he could be, and injury free, it'd be a conversation. But we don't live in that reality.

D-rock likes this.
  19. markelliott1997

Porzingas and Simmons are both funny to me because they are “unicorns” in a vacuum but they both have MAJOR flaws

D-rock likes this.
  20. monster

monster Member

I may be wrong, but IMO, Wall is here for now bc there’s no rush to move him. I doubt anyone will want to take on his contract without demanding assets as well. We’re rebuilding, so even though he’s not worth what we’re paying him, it’s not like that cap money is hurting us. Unless an unexpected offer comes in for him, we wait out his contract, get whatever mentor ship we can out of him, and by the time we have built this team up anywhere near contention, his contract will expire, or at least be way less painful to move. Some people need to understand and accept that we will not be contending for a title until at least 2024, unless we get Uber aggressive w some of our moves. Maybe w Morey, but highly unlikely. Sit back and enjoy watching our youngsters develop. You say “ride or die”…..we’ll see if you really mean it or not.