1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

2. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I will be disappointed in the Rockets if they don't take Grimes with either of their late first round picks. At 23 and 24 there is a 50/50 chance he will still be available. Certain to be a fan favorite and no doubt will work his ass off and have a good chance of being in our rotation by the end of the year if it happens. I see very little downside risk if we take him. He can shoot, pass, and defend a variety of positions. He is a winner. Rockets need to rebuild their team with guys that are used to winning and have a strong desire to keep winning.

groovemachine, mastan and Roc Paint like this.
  3. PhiSlammaJamma

My own honest opinion is he will fall to the second round. I'd almost bet on it. And think assessment wise that is what he is. Middle of the 2nd. If the Rockets want him, he will be there. Would not do it though. Jarreau has glaring weakness, but he has one thing that is valuable, he can drive and get his shot up against one d. His handles and shot are not good. But if you need a bucket he could get it. His biggest problem will be getting an opportunity in the league.

#3943 PhiSlammaJamma, Jun 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    groovemachine likes this.
  4. Aware

Aware Member

I thinks he's going in the 2nd too.

Dotson went 44th and he's essentially the same type of player in terms of playstyle and size. He's going to get a shot but i dont think he has that much upside to go in the first. I hope i'm wrong though.

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I have nothing but love for cougars on the Rockets

groovemachine, Plowman, Nook and 2 others like this.
  6. ballgame

ballgame Member

This

Roc Paint likes this.
  7. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

He made a believer out of me during our run to the final four and showed even more during the draft combine. If the Rockets take him at the end of first round I see little downside risk. If we don't I think Rockets may regret it later. Either way I will be pulling for him wherever he lands.

groovemachine, Plowman and King1 like this.
  8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Who’s the prospect? Wouldn’t let me view the page.

9. Houston Native

Houston Native Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it was Jarace Walker.

Fulgore likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

This will be a great matchup against the SEC led by Jahvon Quinerly. A lot of talent over at Alabama again this year. Wish this was a home game

11. Aware

Aware Member

Future Big12 champs, baby!

groovemachine and Pat like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Echo’s a lot of what I’ve have mentioned about Q since his arrival. Oh and shoutout to fat harden for his influence. The work he has put in will pay off as a 1st round pick next week. Lets go Q!

King1 likes this.
  13. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

How does everyone feel about the possibility of joining the Pac*16? Those are some late night conference games.

14. Aware

Aware Member

Would be amazing.

Even a Big12 minus UT,OU, and like KU would be an upgrade from the AAC.
    Big 12 leftovers + UH, Cincy, Memphis, BYU, UCF, and say Boise and SDS would be pretty ok to me.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

The university has to take advantage of UT/OU exodus. I know that holdovers in the Big XII like Baylor are not going to want another Texas team diluting the talent, but the school has to find a way into a better conference. That can be the PAC or possibly push themselves into the ACC or even see if they can get back doored into the Big X.

There are 5 conferences in the entire landscape worth a damn..... SEC, ACC, Big X, PAC and now a weak Big XII.

Some of those Big XII teams are likely going to try and find a way into either the ACC or Big X, and it would behoove UH to try and get in somewhere ASAP.

I am not sure the Big XII survives long term personally. Teams like OKST and BU may try to leap frog into the ACC or Big X.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

should be interesting to see what happens after this UT/OU leave is officially done and what UH may decide to do

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It won't happen, but it's fun to daydream. I think a PAC 16 with an "Eastern" division of Colorado, Arizona, AZ State, Utah, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Kansas State and Houston makes a lot of sense. Those schools have a lot of parity in terms of their athletic budgets and academics. Culturally it's a bit wonky, but I've seen worse fits. I'm excluding Kansas from this scenario simply because I think their goal and ultimate destination is the B1G. This is all moot though because the PAC is perfectly content to sit back and just be the defacto 4th best conference it seems, although if the AAC/B12 merge and threaten them who knows how they respond.

Big no to expanding Westward. Not into traveling 1500+ miles and having kickoffs at 10PM.

The best case scenario here is the Big 12 stays intact and adds Houston + Cinci (10 team round-robin) and possibly the Florida twins if ESPN wants them (split into North/South divisions).

UH and the AAC leadership are unfortunately just downstream of all of this. We have to hope fortune smiles on us and things break the right way. We've done everything we really could to prepare, but at the end of the day we have little to no control. If the Big 12 implodes, the AAC expands and we get a little revenue bump. If the Big 12 holds we have to hold our breath and pray that the TV gods want us (I have a feeling they do).

As much as I've enjoyed the American, I really want scenario B to come to pass.

18. Aware

Aware Member

As much as west coast games would suck, you would be crazy to turn down a pac12 invite. I think aac schools get something like 7 million from the conference while pac 12 schools get around 30 million. You go from being associated with ecu and wichita state to stanford and ucla lmao yea i'll take that.

I think a pac12 invite is very unlikely but at least we are in the conversation. Just 20yrs ago we were going 0-11 in cusa football and were completely irrelevant in basketball.

Pat and Madmanmetz like this.
  19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Of course. But I'm not signing up for the BYU/Boise "super kitchen sink" league idea ever again.

If you're going westward it is for the PAC and no one else.

Aware likes this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member