1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summer 2021 - Update On Opinions of Front Office

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BallSoHarden, Jul 3, 2021.

?

Is the New Front Office Doing A Better Job Than You Initially Thought They Were?

1. Stones has Some Stones

63 vote(s)
    68.5%
  2. Tilly Only Care For Lux Tax Savings

29 vote(s)
    31.5%
  1. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets really need to be in the high lottery again next year as well. At that point they can reevaluate everything.

2. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

I know this thread is about stone. I’ll end on thAt. …I have to say I’ve been a huge morey fan in the past - loved the statistical approach…

but as I look back at how our franchise was run with him at the helm… I wish we weren’t so public and asset driven. I think it hurt our ability to build the right team.

the Westbrook and capela trades were… horrible. What the hell were we thinking? Many will say moreys hand was forced, but it all happened on his watch. I was hoping small ball could work, but what a **** show.

imagine if stone still had cp3 and capela… he could’ve done Much better in getting the right return for those players.

so far stone has done a bang up job. Tilman deserves some credit for this as well. We’ll see if he really wants to spend after stone gets us back to contention. Stone is keeping it close to the vest and I think we need that discretion for awhile while we rebuild the franchise.

nice job stone. Solid A so far.

3. amaru

amaru Member

Something the current Rockets struggle to do. 22 losses in a row lol

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

My gut feeling about Stone is that he looks for talent first. I believe he is a better talent evaluator than Morey. He looks for efficiency/ hard work, decision making, two way potential and lastly he looks for toughness i.e. physical and mental strength.

My assumption is that if a player lacks mental and physical toughness, he will go down in Stone's eyes, even if he is more talented. I could be wrong, but that's what I think. He takes advice seriously from lots of people, but he can make his own decision. He won't go against Tilman, but I think he might try to persuade Tilman to agree to his advice.

All comments are welcome.

#85 saleem, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Rafa>Morey

Jalen Green OnlyFan and CXbby like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Tilman is still a dumbass and has no business being the owner of a professional sports franchise. Nothing has changed about that

topfive, clos4life and palmsnbananas like this.
  8. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Hypothetical for anyone who knows (especially looking at you @BimaThug and @aelliott )

Let's say
    (1) Rockets draft G Jalen Green at #2
    (2) Rockets try to S&T for F Bobby Portis (MIL)
    (3) Decide to move John Wall to (NYC, LAC, CHI, MIA - take your pick and correspondingly move the other contracts out)
    - if LAC, Wall to Clippers with Beverley to CHI // Rondo to PHI TPE // Kennard to MIL // Ferrell & Arcidiacono to Rox
    - if CHI, Wall to Bulls & Arcidiacono to HOU
    - if MIA, Wall to Heat with Dragic to DAL // Iguodala to CHI // Arcidiacono to HOU // Richardson to MIL
    - if NY, into their cap space

What type / how big of a contract could the Rockets sign Bobby Portis to? (is essentially my question)

(4) I would also anticipate moving EGo + 23 + 24 for a lottery pick and 2nd round pick to another rookie lotto pick

I was imagining a Htown lineup of

PG KPJ - DJA - Thomas
    SG Green (2) - Brown - Brooks
    SF ???? - Tate - Nwaba (???? = Jalen Johnson / Trey Murphy / Corey Kispert / Ziarie Williams)
    PF Portis - KMJ - DJW
    C Wood - Olynyk - Sims (with acquired 2nd)
    2-way: Greg Brown + ????

Re-sign G Sterling Brown (BAE)
    Re-sign C Kelly Olynyk (Bird)
    Re-sign G Armoni Brooks (RFA)
    Re-sign D.J. Wilson (RFA - Bird)
    Re-sign G/F David Nwaba (early Bird)

Thanks in advance - i know it is confusing... which is why I asked the question....

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chamillionaire and topfive like this.
  10. DonatelloLimestone

what ill never understand with morey, just like with Phil jackson is a lack of ability to commicate.

They branded Jackson as some Zen Mind tricks, but i think he was just being a terrible leader when he went public with team issues. I say that accepting some of his other brilliance.

I'm a fan of morey bc he brought another element to othe game. I think he was a master at the cap and when we lost that 2018 series one game from the finals to learn that we had 10 million in tpe, all our bird rights, picks to boot and a lot of options to at least swing for the fences to get better. I realize this guy is smart.

The westbrook has Tilman admitted specificlaly that his basketball ops team was weak but he pushed it.

In fact you can go read this about Morey's glory and his fall backs, and a lot are on the mandates of the budget

The ownership has one job in the nba, thats finances during contention. They are replacable as this is a very lucrative generational showpiece of an asset with only 30 teams and a long list of people who want to enjoy that.

"This refusal to spend money became farcical once Alexander sold the team to Tilman Fertitta in 2017. Fertitta spent so much money ($2.2 billion) to purchase the Rockets that he may not have had the liquidity to go into the red to build a title contender. Houston was a laughingstock around the league for the amount of juggling it had to do to stay under the tax. The best example came at the trade deadline last season, when Morey used a future first-round pick to shed the salaries of Brandon Knight and Marquese Chriss. There was no basketball reason for the move. It was just done to cut costs. It’s not that Knight and Chriss would have helped the Rockets. But there were certainly a lot of better things that Morey could have used that pick for."https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/10/16/21519593/daryl-morey-houston-rockets-luxury-tax-resign

)t was bad under Les, who only spent the tax once and speifically got morey for his ability to get the best bang for buck, but got way way worse and hardlined under tilman who had us doing laughable gymnastics and getting rid of assets who actualyl were in MDA's rotation to save on tax. All while lying to us about it and pointing fingers, the facts are that those moves don't help morey in any sort of future flexiblity way, thy didn't help MDA or harden(who they say we caterted to, this made his job way harder) the tax savigns only go to one mans pockets and thats a fact

Saying all that. I know stone is working under teh mandate of a budget. IF you're nets, clippers, warriors, you can spend and take a lot of risks, if you're us you can't. Now theres hope, sarver was known as like a tilman. He wasn't as outspoken and tacky about it and blaming and lying in public, but he would sell first round picks for only money savings just like us. Ironically the same guy changed and he started with paying Trevor Ariza when we wouldnt even though we were in contention. ...now nba economics works like this ,you can keep an asset alive and use it when you dont have cap space or lose it for nothing which we did
    They took ariza and traded to Kelly oubre, they used kelly O and Rubio to get...the otehr guy tilman said publicly was a terrible contract, Chris Paul.
    So theres hope tilman learns, I ceratinly hope so, but sad to see that unlike the Denver new owner who said we made mistakes we'll learn, he said nah we went all in and it was morey, even though that wasn't true...maybe tahts why an entire front office players all wanted out.

So yea, Stone has done a great job. Hes been able to find some incredible sleepers in Tate, KMJ, KPJ, Wood that make me excited for the future. Silas has done well in giving them an opportunity to suceed, findingKPJ a pg job, putting Kelly in a playmaker role.

So theres a lot of reasons to be optimistic, we have a no 2 pick, maybe one next year and then wall and gordon can be more tradeable and so logn as we don't prioritize some comical savings we're on route for a possible other run in some years. I like these guys , i also like tilman that he hired Chris Wallace just for some debt and to have someone whose been around this league

So I think tilman has been an actual **** show, I think Stone has exceeded expectations, silas -the jury is still out, very likeable guy. And for tilman he failed his first shot as an owners responsiblity, and now hell have another and i hope he answers the call rather than excuses next time and no matter what, yeseterday, today tommororw...its go rockets-the team, not one owner or player i guess you have to clarify that here?

11. DonatelloLimestone

nice draw up, what do you think Portis will get?

Hes a big whose physical and also has a shooting touch, almost a perfect role player. I think someone will over spend on him, maybe itll be us? WE have room in the cap but I think itll come down to him or Kelly. For that I'd choose kelly but I love portis's talent and would be excited to have him.

i like those moves, I'd love to trade to a lottery but I don't think EG gest that for us even with the 23,24. If it does. I'd give stone an a+ for that move

Getting rid of Wall without giving up real assetS(which I'm not willing to do, would rather send him home like Al Horford) would be a miracle too

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The reports of us not getting a single workout with Cade, Suggs, Mobley... not even talking whatsoever to Suggs, the Rockets sending a private jet for Green 2 days before the draft with him posing while wearing a Landry's bib are all really bizarre moves that scream **** show

They also passed what looks to be the worse looking sponsor patch we have seen to date which is not a big deal but still, feels we are being run like a mediocre chain restaurant

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  13. DonatelloLimestone

We know that, but he punted and now he doesnt have to do his gymnastics to get under the tax. he can just enjoy the fruits of the nba no less with a high hyped young prosepect on the cheap for 4 years. Tilman won't even have to spend big in terms of championship money tax par maybe for 4-7 years...so tilman can't get in the way unless he demands we give up future assets for savings or a mediocre star now to sell seats.

The guy just got boo'd in houston at the fight last month, I'm hoping lord please that will teach you to heed your own advice, shut up and listen. Leet the Front office work, stay out o the way, spend during your window, become a hometown hero bud and you can get that reality show and brand you want adn heck rockets fans will suppport, but I'm not going to a landrys while you emphasize savings

14. 7uche

7uche Member

lol talk about over dramatic

Dobbizzle likes this.
  15. 7uche

7uche Member

Lol Tilly got boo’ed? You got a video for that, I wanna See

16. DonatelloLimestone

There is, someone here had it. It was at the fight in June and they showed him only for the Former reality show agent who desperately wants to be the face of something got boo'd

@tinman mentioned that @Clutch and Cf were a massive pressure to keeping the team right and a float early on

Same thing, we as fans can put the pressure. We really don't get much for our fandom. We pay with loyalty, money, and time...in return we just get joy and something to be a part of, the suits get all the profits. So we are the driving force with not much material to show for it, the least we can do if someone is cutting us a raw deal is let the displeasure be known, get a few chants at TC(publicly funded) and then he can do whatever he wants, put hsi god damn face as the sponsor patch for all I care, just pay when you have to, do your part as an owner, stop making excuses, blamng, and lying to a fanbase thats been around before you...then all good

enjoy the goods of the rockets, be a hometown hero, no one will care. Les kept quiet at least, only paid tax once, made his mistakes, had some triumps..but NO one comes to a team for an owner, no one cares..I don't mind if you want to comically put your picture ovre in teh arena, just back it up. Thats all we ask as fans, back itup, don't BS

7uche likes this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

God damn that is a wonderful picture. Stone is a Jr too, I'll have to add him to the list