1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYT] A Disparaging Video Prompts Explosive Fallout Within ESPN

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 4, 2021.

1. PatBev

PatBev Member

I like Taylor a lot more and don’t really care for Nichols. I do not disagree with anything she said though, especially if it was in her contract to do the finals

ESPN would be being called a racist company if Taylor had a contract to do the finals and they decided to give it to a white women just because. Social media would demand Nichols gives the job back to Taylor

I also thinks it hilarious when progressive talking heads get taken out by the same thing they preach to others.

Soon we will hear a recorded conversation of Taylor complaining that a transgender reporter received special placement in the name of diversity

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

I'll take "Things I don't give a crap about" for $2000, Alex

javal_lon, Nick and Slyonebluejay like this.
  3. i3artow i3aller

Team Rosalyn personally

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If Nichols covering the NBA Finals really was in her contract, then why didn't she just bring that up to the powers that be? I mean who could get mad at her for saying the company should meet their end of the contract.

Richie_Rich and B-Bob like this.
  5. i3artow i3aller

Anyone think she addresses it today on the jump?

6. Slyonebluejay

Slyonebluejay Member
    Supporting Member

I like curves. She is almost perfect

Rocket River likes this.
  7. Slyonebluejay

Slyonebluejay Member
    Supporting Member

Might be "things I don't give a crap about Aaron" for $2000

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wut?

This is not what happened, can you show where you got this?

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It was in Nichols contract? Seems ESPN screwed the pooch.

Private conversations = Free Speech.

People vent about everything - shouldn't be grounds for any punishment.

DD

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. a time to chill

This Deadspin article...just wow.

The flip-flopping to fit a narrative is appalling.

The first story they wrote breaking the story defends Rachel Nichols. Today they write an article characterizing her as a privileged white woman that has no problem backstabbing her black colleagues. Look, that may be true. But based on the recordings and NYT article I don't think she said anything racist and her privacy was violated. If Deadspin has more info, please share it. Otherwise they should refrain from writing these smear pieces since they were obviously used as a pawn to smear this woman's career and then got outdone by the NYT that managed to get the full recording and write a better story.

11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'd like to think she did before venting about it.

Still seems like everyone is mad at Nichols and glossed over that fact that she was contractually entitled to hosting the finals.

12. Major

Major Member

FWIW, Deadspin isn't a single person with a single perspective. All of these are opinion stories by different writers with their own perspectives. I think all of this is ridiculous and overblown, but I don't think it's flip-flopping when different writers in the organization publish different opinions. It's probably a sign of a healthy workplace that allows different viewpoints.

13. Major

Major Member

Why would you assume she didn't?

14. a time to chill

Carron Phillips wrote both the articles though.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That's my assumption because if ESPN violated their contract then she could sue or get some sort of arrangement worked out. That's kinda the point in having something like that in a contract.

Richie_Rich and Rocket River like this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rachel Nichols apology:

I pride myself and think of myself as a woman of faith, as there’s a drive into deep left field by Castellanos, that will be a home run, and so that will make it a 4-0 ballgame. I don’t know if I’m going to be putting on this headset again.”

Rachel Nichols: So the first thing they teach you in journalism school is don’t be the story. I don’t plan to break that rule today or distract from a fantastic Finals but I also don’t want to let this moment pass without saying how much I respect, how much I value our colleagues here at ESPN. How deeply, deeply sorry I am for disappointing those I hurt, particularly Maria Taylor and how grateful I am to be a part of this outstanding team.

(Perk: I suppote you Rachill. :D)

Perk: Well Rachel, I wanna say thank you. Thank you for accepting responsibilities for your actions. As someone that has known you for a long time, being around you, you’ve treated me with the utmost respect and always made me feel comfortable in your presence. Great person, great individual. I also know Maria Taylor. Great person as well. Very, very talented. Hard working. She also deserves every opportunity presented her way. My only hope is that we have a commitment overall to support each other through this process and continue to support each other through our journey.

Jefferson: I agree with Perk. Let me first say this: I fully support Maria Taylor. I’ve worked with her since I’ve joined ESPN. Get Up and Countdown. I’ve known Rachel for 20 years. Rachel and our entire group here have had very difficult conversations over this time period and those conversations don’t end here. We will continue to have uncomfortable conversations. No one is excused. She is not excused. I’m not excused. Perk. This does not just go away. We have to learn and understand and become better for each other and really through our actions more than anything. That is our responsibility. We all have a role in that. That’s something I take pride in. I hold myself and everyone to a high standard.

Rachel: Thank you guys both for being with me today. Thank you everyone out there for being with us today.

FrontRunner likes this.
  17. PhiSlammaJamma

She went full Cannon Ball Run, just lower that zipper a little more and all will be forgiven.

18. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Some people don't like female sports commentators because they are female and of course to each their own, they have that right. But flaws aside, many of the top male personalities have bad takes as well, I actually liked Rachel and Maria as commentators as a whole.

She was likely forced to apologize due to everything being aired out, but she did take ownership and apologize. Now hopefully both sides can come to a reasonable agreement and they can work out Maria's contract and keep it moving.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. Aware

Aware Member

Taylor Rooks or gtfo!

20. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

“Woke corporation” that’s the biggest oxymoron I’ve ever heard haha

Invisible Fan likes this.