1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Trade Targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, May 18, 2021.

1. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I think I am a lot less worried compared to everyone else about our bullpen...and yes I recognize how sorry it is and that we could use an arm or two but I don't want to pay the ridiculous prices teams pay these days for relievers, who are often unpredictable and great ones can become bad/unusable in the playoffs quickly.

That being said, I am still high on Javier as a bridge and I think Odorizzi would be a huge weapon in the playoffs out of the pen in a similar type role as Javier was last year in the playoffs. Career splits for Odorizzi first time through the order are significantly better than his second and third time through the order:

1st time through: 440 IP, 2.84 ERA, 3.20 FIP, 459 K (9.37 K/9 vs 2.74 BB/9), and a .221/.281/.358 slash line
    2nd time through: 412 IP, 3.71 ERA, 4.32 FIP, 377 K (8.18 K/9 vs 3.02 BB/9), and a .229/.296/.400 slash line

For comparison purposes, Urquidy actually has improved the second time around during his short career and Garcia has been virtually the same pitcher - I think everyone would agree Garcia has looked more impressive so far and therefore I'd have him as the #4 with Urquidy being moved to the pen with Odorizzi.

SP: Framber, McCullers, Greinke, and Luis Garcia

RP: Pressly, Javier, Odorizzi, Urquidy, Raley (against lefties)

Throw in the possibility of JV returning for the playoffs in the pen and I think we are OK pitching wise.

2. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I'm going to get blasted by some people for this idea but can't help myself...

Given the cost to acquire Nelson Cruz, both prospects in a trade and his very reasonable salary/contract, I can't help but wish we would consider using Alvarez, Tucker and Brantley in the OF and bringing Cruz in to DH. At the end of the day, LF is easy to play in MMP and Fenway and who needs defense when you have a lineup that looks like this:

Altuve
    Brantley
    Bregman
    Alvarez
    Cruz
    Gurriel
    Correa
    Tucker
    Maldy

Plus I don't want the A's or the White Sox to go out and get him...

3. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

As cool as it would be to add a bat like Cruz, I don't think it makes any sense to add a full time DH. Brantley already needs to rest as the DH and I doubt Yordan is ready to be a full time outfielder.

4. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I don't disagree. Adding a full time DH rarely makes sense especially when you have someone who has been essentially a full time DH himself...but the video game GM in me just wishes we could make this pipe dream happen.

FYI I had this thought come across to me watching Taylor Jones attempt to play LF the other night and missing the line drive right to him that basically ended Odorizzi's night.

Edit: To be clear I fully don't expect us to even consider the idea and I understand the reasoning. That being said, the cost makes it so enticing to me plus in a perfect world Brantley, Tucker and Alvarez are all healthy for the playoffs...but you never know and Cruz would be a great insurance policy.

5. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

In the beginning of May I would’ve been on board with this… but Myles Straw has greatly improved. His defense has been so much better and his OBP is .349. Can’t really ask for much more out of him.

I get not wanting to spend much on relievers but I just would be worried sick about seeing a Stanek or Raley in the 8th inning of a playoff game

6. Buck Turgidson

7. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

IMO he will be overmatched in the playoffs...just go look at his splits in games against teams <.500 vs >.500. Specifically, check out his slash lines against LAD, CWS, BOS, and TB...the teams we will be playing.

I hope I am wrong though, his def has been much better like you said.

EDIT: Check out same splits for Yuli (much better against >.500 teams), CC (way better), Brantley (of course consistent), Yordan (WAY better) and Breg (his are NUTS.....482 OPS against under .500 teams smh)

#367 Htown Stros, Jul 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  8. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Raley has been good against lefties... his peripherals overall are way better than actual results but I'm with you. Stanek should only be mop up duties.

That being said, do you not see Pressly, Javier, Odorizzi, Garcia/Urquidy, and Taylor as formidable? I don't want to spent the high price for an elite reliever...unless it's someone like Clase throwing 101 mph cutters lol

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Stanek still has good enough stuff to get a K. Dusty has made him the 7th inning guy with Taylor having the current inside track to 8th inning.

They're actually one more bullpen piece away from having a really good one to protect leads... and of course they have possibly the best closer in baseball at the moment in Pressly.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm liking Cleveland's falling playoff odds. A lot of interesting relievers with control while their team's prospects are still a good way from majors. If they are willing to deal, and Click is willing to deal a decent chunk of prospect capital, a mutually beneficial deal would be possible.

raining threes likes this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Their 3 best RP all have 5+ years of control remaining. A deal for Clase, Karinchak, or Sandlin would be really, really costly likely a buy-high move. I doubt Houston has the assets to be able to get one of them. But boy would it be sweet to add Clase to the Astros BP.

Shaw would be a low cost add but 7 bb/9 is pretty scary, not sure that would be a worthwhile move.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Houston would probably need the Cubs to eat ~$5M to stay under the tax which wouldn’t be crazy. Maybe:

Astros get:
    RP Craig Kimbrel
    $2M

Cubs get:
    RP Joe Smith
    RHP Bryan Abreu
    RHP Shawn Dubin
    OF Alex McKenna

Astros resulting staff when healthy:
    SP: Greinke, Valdez, McCullers, Odorizzi, Garcia
    RP: Urquidy, Javier, Taylor, Stanek, Raley, Baez, Pressly, Kimbrel

If they need to make room for James, Pruitt, or Verlander they’d have to send down Taylor or put somebody else on the IL

14. Screaming Fist

That would be a very nice trade for the Astros. I wonder though if the Cubs would want more than someone like Abreu to headline the trade with how Kimbrel has performed this year and the club option for 2022.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  15. the shark

the shark Member

Kimbrel is making 16 mil this year and next. Wouldn't the prorated portion of his contract this year put them over the luxury tax? Wondering if Crane would sign off on this?

16. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Kimbrel and Pressly are two of the most dominant relievers in baseball right now.

it would be insane to have those guys in the 8th and 9th innings

everyday eddie likes this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Ooh I missed that he had an option for next year. In that case I think you’re right, that package won’t do it. Maybe:

Astros get:
    RP Craig Kimbrel
    $3.5M

Cubs get:
    IF Freudis Nova
    RHP Bryan Abreu
    RHP Shawn Dubin
    RHP Angel Macuare

Then they’d probably need to clear another $1-2M in salary by trading Smith and attaching a lotto prospect to him.

18. Screaming Fist

You would only need to get maybe $3-4M back from the Cubs or from some other deal depending on how much room they have left, which is in the range of something like a 40-45 FV prospect.

the shark and Snake Diggit like this.
  19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Kimbrel's AAV is 14 million.

If the move is made close to the deadline than you have 1/3ish left to pay so call it 4.5-5 million left. Astros are about 1-1.5 million below the tax. So they probably need 3.5-4 million or so from the Cubs to stay under the tax.

I don't expect the Astros to land Kimbrel, but that is a big time win now move.

20. the shark

the shark Member

Ok thanks.

I know he's had a good season thus far. Curious how dependent he is on the sticky stuff? I guess we'll see how pitches up to the trade deadline.