1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Wood's Trade Value?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MystikArkitect, Jul 3, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Do not want to trade Wood at all, but Porter-Green-Mobley-Sengun would be an interesting core.

The offense first, second and last guys should love this scenario at least.

cmoak1982 and Jwise44 like this.
  2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

7-11 in this draft and possibly taking back some dead money.

Trackwell and dmoneybangbang like this.
  3. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

Yeah pretty much this. At this point it's unlikely Wood gets traded -- but if he is traded then it needs to be for some very good pieces.

Golden State would be an excellent trade partner since they're more desperate to "win now". I could see a draft night trade, otherwise a possible deadline trade.

Love would be terrible though. More "dead weight" assets are great to help other teams when it comes to salary cap hell, but ideally they can be sold off when value has been "rehabilitated." I think Wall will look much better in 2021-22, but his contract will already be tough to move as it is.

Best case with Wall may be a buyout, if it makes sense for both parties. I also think Wall could help mentor some of the younger players (which is why I would still lean towards taking Green over Mobley at this point).

Love offers little in comparison to Wall.

allanivan likes this.
  4. HROZ

HROZ Member

I hope we keep him.

Mobley & him can be a deadly combo.
    If we take Green id like to see us sign a C to start that game. (Play 20-25 minutes at C Wood play the other minutes)

D-rock likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

He's our best player trade chip so naturally he will be in trade talks. We struck gold with that "prove it contract" but it's going to run out in two seasons. One has to wonder if we want to be the team that pays him that "my time to get paid$$ contact".

6. dmoneybangbang

I definitely would be calling GSW, but just feels dirty.

sydmill likes this.
  7. MystikArkitect

Wood is a liability defensively. He doesn't really seem to be the type to improve on that end of the court. Between these scenarios:

Wood/Mobley
    Wood/Green
    Wood/Suggs
    Mobley/other young building block

I think I prefer the last one. If Mobleys ceiling is a significantly better Wood then you let him flesh out for a few years while you draft another wing/PG to complement him. Wood/Mobley are redundant and Mobley is just a better prospect right now between the two.

Trackwell likes this.
  8. bmelo

bmelo Member

Wood is fools gold. On a good team hes 4th option, bad defensively, massive ego. Good for **** team which Rockets are rn or Detroit type though

Trackwell likes this.
  9. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Such a stupid question to be asking the Houston Rockets fans.
    Wood is the best player on the team, why would you be even think of such a thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Yetti

coachbadlee likes this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Pick in the 9-14 range

I hope we trade him

11. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

Same, but jalen green as a brother in arms (though I wouldn’t be upset with Mobley)

D-rock likes this.
  12. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Can't see Cavs trading the 3rd pick for Wood.

GS might bite on Wood for the 7th pick.

Trackwell likes this.
  13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

"tradeforCade" or nothing

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Woods greatest value now is with this up and coming team. He needs to try to instill that "mamba mentality" into these youngsters heads.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Or Cade

Jwise44 likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Detroit trading 1st overall for Wood who they had last year and did not re-sign would be the height of inanity.

And such a DET move.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  17. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

I’m not even entertaining the idea of getting cade…people writing about Detroit possibly not taking cade are ridiculous and looking for clicks and anything to write about before the draft

D-rock likes this.
  18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

https://www.google.com/amp/s/threes...ft-pick-to-someday-make-an-all-star-team/amp/

By the third pick in the draft there’s like a 42% chance that pick will ever make a lottery team.

if he was healthy, I think Wood is very close to all star last year - he only reason he wouldn’t be would be because he hadn’t “earned” it yet.

that said GMs would rather shoot for the unknown especially when the unknown might be better than just an occasional all star.

I’m offering him to Cleveland with a small combo of picks and see if they bite.

beyond that I’d maybe trade him for a chance at Scottie Barnes or Jalen Suggs … maybe … but not much else.

19. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

There isn't some intrinsic value a guy like Wood has. If someone particularly wants him and is looking to make a move then we might get something pretty good. If we just try to trade him for whatever we can get because some goofballs on CF want to trade him then we might not.

He's got two years left on his deal. If he continues to develop he's probably got 6-7 years left as a high level player. When his deal is up we'll have very little long term money committed and need to spend it on something. If we trade Wood to bottom out nobody worthwhile is going to sign to play for a terrible team in two years. Or it will take an overpay to get anyone.

Even if we wait to trade him until the trade deadline two years from now he's still going to be a valuable asset because whoever gets him can go over the cap to resign him or if they are going to be well under the cap and throw a bunch of FA money around his cap hold will be nice too.

No reason to be looking to trade him unless you think he's going to fall off because of injuries/attitude. I guess maybe wanting to fully bottom out for longer is a rationale, but it doesn't really work when we're three years from owing our drafts to OKC.

#39 ChillyPete32, Jul 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    burlesk likes this.
  20. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

There's a reasonable chance Sengun isn't there at 11.