1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(IG Live) Jalen Green on a potential KPJ-Green backcourt, "Kp know thats a scary backcourt"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

GIVE ME JALEN…I love having players that want to be in Houston!

I’m assuming everyone wants to be the second pick, but jalen seems like he wants to be there for more than just being the second pick…like playing with kpj

34to11, Bo6, red5rocket and 4 others like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

He's definitely lobbying hard and publicly, all over social media flashing HTown signs and leaving cryptic but titillating comments with KPJ .

Meanwhile Mobley is more lowkey, liking and following Wall and Wood.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm sure the workouts and interviews will play a part in the final selection. Good luck to the winner. The player who shows better preparation mentally and physically should be selected. Suggs could be the dark horse. He isn't my choice, he is the safest pick.

4. VoR

VoR Member

Curious about leadership potential on the club. John Wall will have his work cut out for him. If there’s anything that past drafts have taught me is that drive and work ethic are not coachable.Kobe had it Olajuwon had it. Booker has it. Doncic has it. Jordan none fiercer.

Here’s my rocket list for present drive level on the roster:

1: Wall
    2: Tate
    3: Nwaba
    4: Gordon
    5: Wood

KPJ and Green have talent in spades, but they young and don’t have the maturity and drive of a Lebron out the door. Do the rockets need that next season? Maybe not. But if we wanted it from next year’s draft, who fits the bill? Only two players Cunningham and Suggs. So, if instant leadership is what you’re looking for, you trade up or trade down. What is the potential floor with Green? Cameron Payne as a SG. Tons of talent that takes 8 seasons to fully mature. His ceiling? Anthony Edwards out of the gate. Super athletic with a very high release shot.

Mobley has a lot of Tim Duncan qualities that are just young right now. I didn’t like his performance against Gonzanga, but I shouldn’t judge him so poorly from that one game. Should we get him over Green or Suggs? That depends on Olynyk and what the front office has designs for in regards to growth.

I think Tilman wants a story to invest in. He may make a trade to get Cunningham. If not, Green has that star potential to fill the highlight reels and he will have to trust Silas to keep these kids grounded. Not many people are talking about Monty Williams. The Suns are focused because the man can coach and is an enormous man of faith that knows how to keep the kids focused. If Silas can keep these kids from clout chasing and chasing rings instead, the Rockets could easily follow a similar path to the finals.

So barring a trade for Cunningham, we get Green. Won’t be sad to get Mobley or Suggs, but Green has the athleticism to be a star. It’s a really great position to be in if any team gets a wild urge to yolo and trade up. 1 through 5 are all slam dunks. I didn’t talk about Kuminga, but he has aspects of his game that are a little better than Green’s right now.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty resigned to the fact that Green is going to be the pick for the same reason CP3 was traded for Westbrook, to make the stars happy.

I'd like to believe they learned from that disaster, but I think at the end of the day KPJ and Green publicly flirting with one another will win out over BPA.

D-rock likes this.
  6. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

And Cunningham will not be available in the 2nd pick, so Green is the best player available to us which is all that matters

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Suggs would not surprise me at all. Super sleeper pick and Rafael/Eli don't strike me as traditional thinkers.

saleem likes this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't know if I agree that work ethic can't be taught, I think an outlook can be changed and a motivation can be added to the player.

Clearly John Lucas has had that affect on many players for example. If Mobley is a guy that needs that extra motivation to be great then we have a great guy that could get it out of him.

red5rocket and D-rock like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The most I hate is the hype around it, yes, we get it, those are the best talents......back to work.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I mean I mostly viewed John Lucas as the guy that helped guys stay away from addiction but that was just me.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That's part of it. He's more of a guy that puts things in perspective, which is part of telling guys you're going to waste your career behind substance abuse. I don't think KPJ had substance abuse issues either or addiction issues? Posey wrote an article about it a few days ago about how Lucas had to pull him to the side and give him some advice and how he felt that changed his career.

KPJs issues sounded more temperamental than anything like addiction any ways.

But hopefully the Rockets will keep him around no matter who we draft because we're going to have a ton of young players that all will be on the same team, of course, but all will be trying to be the 'franchise' player and we're going to need a good coaching staff to get them to grow together instead of apart

D-rock and daywalker02 like this.
  12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

John Lucas works with troubled guys. U don’t just instill motivation in someone, they either want it or don’t.

fattz, Bo6, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  13. saleem

I agree. If Houston wants Suggs, they should try to acquire a relatively high ( top 10) 2022 pick from Cleveland as well.

fattz and RudyTBag like this.
  14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

There's obviously a whole field of psychology that disagrees...but okay.

34to11 likes this.
  15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who does CLE want that bad at 2 to make a deal like that?

saleem likes this.
  16. saleem

I have no idea. I'm assuming they want to pair Mobley and Allen as their future front court.

RudyTBag likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is interesting (DM me). I might also suspect your inner motivation is stronger than motivation instilled by someone else.

18. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

I mean lets be honest, at the end of the day you take the biggest international superstar, ala, Yao Ming, Jalen Green is the Yao Ming of the Philippines, they call him IDOL, Now Scoot he wants to be the Black Joker, So Green fit naturally in the Riddle me This Role, or even in a surprising for this day and age reversal of gender on character the Pilipino Poison IVY... Let the kids have fun! Could be scary good if they're having fun!

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Make it so.

20. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

A few people have touched on this already, but Green looks to be a young boy who is about to step into a league of grown men. He looks really immature... and realistically will need time. He also doesn't strike me as a leadership-type of guy... a hungry, aggressive competitor who wants to dominate. Really the only top pick who has that leadership edge to him is Suggs... and maybe Davion Mitchell..

Perhaps Green transforms himself when he steps onto the court... but I'm concerned based on what I just viewed.

CXbby and Rudyc281 like this.