1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] The Tomorrow War

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

Hard to believe ripped Chris Pratt in the first GotG was 7 years ago.

Still looks good though.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The ‘dad bod’ he has in this movie sort of surprised me. I can see them asking for it but after gotg1 it seemed like he mailed it in. They even rip on him in Infinity War for getting fat. I mean, Arnold is his FIL, you’d think he would try to hit the gym a little more.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is up now, if anybody cares to watch. Supposed to be released tomorrow, but Amazon always releases everything the night before.

Im 20 minutes into it, and they are trying to stuff too much stuff in at once, but maybe it sliws down a little.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

please narrate the sleestack reveal.

DreamShook likes this.
  5. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

These stream movies have a high-quality video game feel to them. Maybe it'd feel different in the theater

6. thejav

thejav Member

Reviews are not good. Shame.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It felt a little like it could have been an Alien vs Predator movie. That isn't a compliment.

8. Buck Turgidson

Will be watching soon for fun.

A contrarian review: https://uproxx.com/movies/tomorrow-war-review-chris-pratt/

McKay and screenwriter Zach Dean are constantly finding the distinction between corny dialogue that makes you groan and corny dialogue that’s so perfectly on-the-nose that it’s kind of brilliant. “I’m just trying to save my daughter,” Forester explains to a fellow grunt, “And if I have to save the entire world to do it, so be it.”

That’s a corny line that could’ve been the tagline to dozens of movies, from most of the Seagal/Neeson/Willis ouvre to Ben Stiller’s “Scorcher” franchise from Tropic Thunder. Yet the Russian nesting doll of spoiler-y plot conceits that The Tomorrow War constructs to justify it are almost avant-garde. The Tomorrow War manages to combine the best bits of Edge Of Tomorrow, Arrival, Armageddon, Alien, Independence Day, and God knows what else in the kind of movie that Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich would’ve directed in their primes if they’d had more talent.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Watched it last night, it has a good concept but takes the path of least resistance.

It has a real Starship Troopers, without the satire, feel to it if it was directed by early 2000 Michael Bay. It's big, loud and pretty dumb but actually kind of fun in spots. The CGI is all over the place, some of it looks top notch, other parts look like video game cut scenes.

It could have been cut down by about a half an hour, it would have made it a more enjoyable experience. Overall, its mindless fun if you don't expect too much.....

C+

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Dialogue was bad and lots of nonsense in the plot. But still enjoyable imo. Kinda like a 2000ish era disaster movie, Definitely what I think of when I think of a summer movie, especially as a kid. Don't need to see it again, but worth a watch. It's refreshing to have a movie like this in the non-marvel universe. 5.0/10

GRENDEL likes this.
  11. PhiSlammaJamma

Agree. Watchable. But you have to overlook the convenient plot tapestry and sacrifices. The action and aliens are pretty good, but no better than any other alien movie these days. Still, it is watchable. Nothing about this gave me goosebumps, but still felt the need to make it to the end.

GRENDEL likes this.
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

too many plot holes to suspend your disbelief. I thought it was fine though.

A lot of black people and other races just around existing which I found really refreshing. A lot of diversity without pointing to diversity. I like that.. too bad the film wasn't better.

FLASH21 and GRENDEL like this.
  13. Juxtaposed Jolt

About an hour into it; not really paying attention, though.

Interesting idea for a war (against aliens or otherwise). Send people to the future; people that would have otherwise died before the war started, so that those people can fight for you in the war.

It's like a Suicide Squad situation - if these people die in the war, then it's whatever, since they're 'destined' to die anyway.

GRENDEL likes this.
  14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Same exact feeling. I enjoyed Edge of Tomorrow.

Rocket River likes this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, free lobotomies all around. 5/10 is fair but i wouldn't be happy spending coin for this at a theater.

Plenty of unintentionally funny scenes.

I'd watch in the background with low expectations. If you got higher expectations, watch tenet unsober or something.

Also, the serious part about him being a deadbeat didn't work out because Pratt showed no hint of a dark demon from his time serving. Maybe that part got smudged out from the crayons the script was written on.

Rocket River, BigM and B-Bob like this.
  16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Sort of reminds me of those Call of Duty commercials. Where people are now "soldiers" finding the "Soldier in all of us".

17. Buck Turgidson

Sssshhh. Don't say that out loud.

He'll hear you. All things are Marvel these days.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This was made entertaining for me cause I read this thread first and knew it wasn’t actually going to be a “good” movie… just campy and “fun”. Which to kind of was.

so you have to look past all the obvious badness of it. Or appreciate it.

that said there is one thing this movie might have legit done as good as anything … and that’s create a legit awesome alien species. The white spikes were extremely well done and badass.

JamesC and BigM like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Dude, you're the first person to mention this so far, and great call.

You can't have a good alien movie with stupid-looking aliens. That's like Asimov's Sci-Fi Movie Law #3 or something.

B-Bob and Deckard like this.
  20. lpbman

lpbman Member

Biggest problem I had is, in the time before the war, we didn't make -any- specialized weapons to fight the bad guys? That's what we do as a species?!
    Also, I get that there were a metric f-ton of the baddies but like... a WWII flail tank would run wild on them. You could convince me that something like that wouldn't hold up, but I wanna see it. Don't just tell me we lost badly and then show untrained fire teams operating "behind enemy lines" and anyone walks away.

Edge of Tomorrow monsters seemed like they'd smash conventional forces. Not these guys.