1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok so you are not being logical about this, thanks for letting me know you are incapable of having a rational discussion or you just don't know what to look for, the fact that you think he has not shown he is more than a rim runner really tells me all I need to know.

Not one scout thinks all he is a rim runner but here you go.:rolleyes:

That might be the weakest Garnett highlight package I have seen yet you think it proves something.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This.

D-rock and xaos like this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jesus Christ. Watching his highlights yet again, I have no idea what you guys are looking at offensively. Fugly stuff. Weak, weak, weak. Not a damn lick of creativity. He plays basketball like he is listening to Michael Bolton.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Doubling down on the stupidity I see.

Keep telling us how he is just a rim runner.

5. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Every scout sees him as a rim-runner. That is his sole NBA translatable offensive skill right now. He is absolutely fantastic at it.

What in the world are you talking about?

Corrosion likes this.
  6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Mobley has stated his shot blocking is instinctive, that he hasn't really thought about it or studied other shot blockers. If only he could take his native intelligence and learn from some of the best, he would be even better at the defensive end. It'd be great if Mobley had access to a guy who thought a lot about shot-blocking and had developed different shot-blocking strategies for specific players. I wonder if there's anyone like that affiliated with the Rockets?

[​IMG]

D-rock and FrontRunner like this.
  7. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Apparently, If you squint with red glasses on when you look at Mobley's highlights you can see AD, KG, Hakeem, Giannis and KD all rolled up into one. Sign me up!

Corrosion likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No scout only sees him as a rim runner.

you are just pulling **** out of your ass.

This is what I am talking about.

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/evan-mobley/

A fast, agile big man with an advanced skill set. Mobley is a coordinated athlete with great length and a lot of upside. He’s got a skinny frame and will have to get a lot stronger but shows elite level upside. He’d be a no.1 overall pick in a lot of drafts but might fall to 2 or 3 in this loaded class.

https://ca.nba.com/news/2021-nba-dr...-player-comparisons/607vaa6vle0f1fnoc027w8spa

Offensively, he's a scoring threat from anywhere inside the arc and thrives as a screener in pick-and-rolls, giving opposing defences plenty to worry about with his plethora of ways he can beat you

https://www.sbnation.com/college-ba...aft-comparison-bio-highlights-scouting-report

The biggest knock against Mobley is that he isn’t a hyper-aggressive scorer. Given his incredible natural talent, he easily could have scored more than 19.3 points per 40 minutes against college competition. It’s worth noting that Davis scored even less when he was at Kentucky — 17.7 points per 40 — but then became a primary scoring option in the NBA. Even if Mobley isn’t wired to average 25 points per game in the league, the diversity in his scoring package will make him an extremely valuable offensive player when coupled with his passing and his potential as a floor spacer.

While Mobley needs to get stronger and more powerful going to the basket, his burst attacking the rim as a roll man will be a big asset. He scored in the 64th percentile in roll man opportunities this season, yet scored in the 91st percentile of all half-court opportunities. Here’s an example of his finishing as a roll man.

That's just the 1st 3 show me anybody saying all he is a rim runner.

Zen Tabak and D-rock like this.
  9. i3artow i3aller

How short we talking?
    [​IMG]

ThatBoyNick and D-rock like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

You mean Makur Maker?

Thon Maker does not have same guard skills that Mobley has.

Thon was projected to be a 3-D big when he was drafted.

Ball handling is not one of his advanced skillsets.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I never said he was Dream or even implied it. He's good at defense and good at shot blocking. Good coaching and instruction combined with his intelligence can make him better.

D-rock likes this.
  12. sydmill

sydmill Member

Have you been reading the posters that you are debating? He's Kobe meets MJ with the self promotion of one of the Kardashians. Instant HOFer...

But, for real, the guy deserves his due. I think it is pretty clear he is in a class by himself compared to the other shooting guards in this draft. And I think this is a pretty deep draft at the 2. Next year is 3/4 heavy (aside from Hardy) and who can say when youre talking about HS Sophomores and Juniors. Just looking I dont see another guy with similar athleticism and the skills/knack for scoring the ball.

D-rock and i3artow i3aller like this.
  13. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Man, you post a lot of obscenities, huh?

Go look at what you just posted from various scouts, and look for the word "potential". Consider what the word means in the context of a scout, and the context of what Mobley is currently capable of in an NBA system. What we are debating is whether he will reach that potential, or rather the odds that he will reach that potential. Correct?

I see Dorkus Camby, not Kevin Garnett or Anthony Davis. For me, he looks much more uncoordinated offensively than the guys I've seen him compared to. "He moves like KD"... etc. Not too extreme a viewpoint I think.

If he becomes a Houston Rocket, he will be my Dorkus Camby and I will happily cherish and defend him like he is Hakeem The Dream, as you do now...

14. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Nor did I say you said that. Sensitive Mobley-ites, sheesh guys...

For sure though, give him the Joey Dorsey treatment by all means.

Corrosion likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What does this have to do with the fact that you can find guys in most drafts that compare to Green and why are we just using a 2 as the example.

And then you have next years draft.

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/jaden-hardy/

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/patrick-baldwin-jr/

Hardy sounds exactly like Green.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude stop moving the goal post, you claimed that all he is was a rim runner and not one report called him that.

So you flat out lied to make a point.

Nobody cares what you see because you don't know what you are looking at or you want to ignore the obvious.

Just stop lying my guy or show one report saying his only NBA skill is rim running at least then you can hide behind that one report.

And for the record I am not saying he is better than Green I am just calling out idiots like you that are hell bent on ******** on him logic be dammed. This is not about worshiping Mobley it's recognizing everything he does. Which you seem incapable of doing.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  17. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

I like both Green and Mobley, and as a result it's pretty easy for me to see that these guys both have insane potential.

I think it is foolish for anyone to put either of these players down to advocate for the one they'd prefer.

Comparing Mobley to Marcus Camby is a pretty whack take in my opinion. Camby at 22 didn't have anywhere near the range of offensive skill that Mobley does at age 20, nor did he have the quickness and footwork to defend the perimeter. They are only really similar in terms of blocking shots and size.

18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Much of this is not, in fact, what I said.

I previously posted: "Defensively he is aces, offensively he has a longgg way to go to avoid being a Capela rim runner."

I asserted my own opinion as one does on a message board, so tell me how it is a lie?

Case in point, your teenage rage seems to indicate a lack of reason when confronted with an opinion that differs from your own, and I'll let the court of public opinion decide who has been more reasonable in their assertions. As far as the "nobody cares what you see", I'll say again that I see Dorkus Camby, not Kevin Garnett or Kevin Durant on the offensive end. Nobody may care, but I know it gets under your skin. :D

19. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I'd say to this that you are misremembering how special Marcus Camby looked coming out of college. He was FANTASTIC on switches and absurdly quick and skillful in the open court.

I question whether you were alive to witness it, too.

Corrosion likes this.
  20. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

RudyTBag is clearly going overboard with his hot takes, but where I do agree with him is that the Anthony Davis comparisons need to stop. At every level that Anthony Davis played, he looked like a far superior and more comfortable player in nearly every aspect of his game compared to Mobley. To me that signals that Mobley's ceiling isn't Anthony Davis, but at least a level if not multiple levels below that. I could still be happy with that, but if that's what we're getting then we should be happy with either Green or Mobley.