1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Monty Williams' move.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DrNuegebauer, Jun 30, 2021.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Prove that Mobley should be the pick?

Tonight The Clippers were w/o their center and rather than decide to move Torrey Craig to the starting lineup, Monty Williams decided to go TALL! Not only did the move take Terance Mann out of the game but the Suns got the win!

With Porter and Tate and Wall, I think we could use another role playing wing but Mobley should be the PICK.

2. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

No. What would the Suns be without CP3 or Booker?

3. xaos

xaos Member

Cp3 had nothing to do with this game

kevtse, YOLO, D-rock and 5 others like this.
  4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

CP and Booker were the key players. Ayton was great though.

Monty Kept Ayton on the floor because Ty waited too late to go small. Ty died with Boogie playing center, lol.

#4 DreamShook, Jun 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

not only that but why do people think Mobley will be as good as Ayton?

Ayton was the best player for the Suns this series but still requires others to create for him.

6. dmoneybangbang

Ayton isn't as fluid Mobley, but he's far stronger and still nimble for his size. Ayton has definitely been great, but Bridges has also been great as this super role player/glue guy. Both Ayton and Bridges come from the same draft and both took a huge leap this year.

I don't think Ayton makes a center a better or worse draft pick, it's contextual.

jiggyfly and Zen Tabak like this.
  7. xaos

xaos Member

I just think it's funny that the key thing here for some people is Ayton was the guy when CP3 went bazerk scoring 25 points in the second half while Ayton had a few moments

Yall are trying to draft a piece that helps the piece win a ring. I'm trying to draft the piece that's missing that piece to win a ring

Honestly, I'm drunk so I bet I read this tomorrow like "wtf am I trying to communicate?"

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Ayton is a great comp for Mobley. They will have similar playing styles.

9. xaos

xaos Member

Disagree. Ayton is stronger (even in college), back to the basket kind of player. Mobley is more of the soft touch, quick feet, hook shot or facing the basket kind of player.

clos4life and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

11. JayZ750

??

Ayton was a far “bigger” big coming out of college. Similar height and wingspan (Mobley might have him by an inch on height but I think Ayton actually had the better wingspan brain either case very close) but Ayton just much bigger.

As someone else noted he plays a much more physical at the basket game… which resulted in higher scoring at better efficiency… yet he also was a noticeably better 3 point shooter also. And was a better rebounder coming out of college.

He was just a better prospect … the thing that people are trying to get pumped up about Mobley is because they view him as this long lanky big (not recognizing that Ayton basically had similar length just wasn’t lanky cause he was actually big) that can guard 5 positions… when it’s not clear at all yet he can do that against NBA speed. Or that he’ll have Draymond like passing ability because he’s not Clint Capela when it comes to dribbling.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Giannis’ knee injury has made me even more worried about the health prospects of any big. Embiid, KP, Giannis, KD. In today’s NBA, ‘unicorn’ screams “lower extremity problems”.

13. mastan

mastan Member

Torrey Craig's defense on Paul George was awesome.

Rudyc281, D-rock and burlesk like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mobley AND Wood can actually create for themselves, moreso than Ayton.

That is the evolution of the NBA big - positionless basketball baybee!

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ayton was slightly longer than Mobley but his defense was so much less advanced than Mobley when Ayton was drafted.

Ayton was more advanced on offense, Mobley is better rim protector and iso defender in same stage of their careers.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. JayZ750

this is overrated for a center … unless it’s Draymond level production.

CWood had like 1.7 apg. 73% of his fgs were assisted. So sure, 27% of the time he created for himself which is more than Ayton… but it’s still not anything crazy.

to me it’s like having a PG that can get you lots of rebounds. Nice to have…. But if the team could rebound the same anyway not really a necessity… give me the PG that can shoot and at least tries to box out.

Same with Mobley… yes he has a bit of a handle and playmaking ability. A BIT. He’s not KD or Giannis out there. Or AD.

Mobley is mocked this high entirely on his defensive potential which isn’t crazy. I see the potential. To potential to be a Gobert type even better guarding the perimeter…. And then you add on play along ability.

but it’s noteworthy to me that Ayton performed so so so much better than Gobert in the playoffs. Gobert is constantly small balled in the playoffs. So far at least Ayton didn’t have that problem against the Clippers. He was able to move his feet enough defensively while absolutely punishing them offensively and on the boards. Sure the Clippers weren’t the GSW out there, but I think thats how you defeat small ball. By punishing he other team on the inside to the point they just literally got tired of it. As anyone wound constantly guarding a dude much bigger than them. PLAY BIG.

Just my two cents. If Mobley was 260 and has a better mentality I’d be on him for sure and suspect the Pistons would as well.

but then if Green clearly had Ja Morant esque playmaking and obviously better defense already he’d also be the likely top pick.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

That series was great for Ayton… but Bridges also stepped up huge.

Let’s remember it took Ayton a whole 3 seasons to get to where he is. I would expect Mobley to have at least a similar time to make that type of impact and he won’t have CP3 barking at him.

19. raspar

raspar Member

No, this proved that we should have kept cp3 and dumped harden.

20. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Yeah, if we dumped harden for a bunch of pics.... we would become the Phoenix suns. Uncle Chris and nephews.