1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I think he's referring to this being the 2nd time he has had TJ surgery. He had it back in 2019. Real shame, because he was looking really promising

HTXSportsAddict and Htown Legend like this.
  2. htownbball

htownbball Member

I think a lot of our guys had raw ability that needed playing time and development. Joe Perez had huge raw power and a cannon at 3B, it was just a matter of if he'd hit enough. He's gotten himself in great shape last off-season and the dedication is paying off.

Same thing with Korey Lee. Had a lot of raw talent, power, arm strength, just needed the playing time to cement his status since he wasn't a full-time starter at Cal.

The draft strategy seems to targeting certain high ceiling low floor guys that would flourish with the right coaching and development. Lee, Perez, Brown, McKenna, Whitcomb, Barber, all have some pretty high bust potential, but we're seeing that some are really starting to reach their potential. I think it really goes to show how good our player development process is

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Is Abraham Toro making Alex Bregman expendable? Is Abraham Toro a better 3B than Joe Perez?

4. awc713

awc713 Member

No. And maybe.

5. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Agree they definitely go after some high upside, low floor players but it’s pretty evident they’ve also mixed in low-upside high floor guys too. Grae Kessinger was a clear higher floor, lower ceiling guy.

Their draft strategy has been relatively balanced in my opinion. There have been much more extreme drafting strategies than Houston’s. They’ve also benefitted a lot from having a good player development system, for both low floor and higher floor guys.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Under Luhnow, the Astros would also vary some from draft to draft in their strategy.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Bregman is an MVP caliber player when healthy so there’s no way Toro could ever make him expendable. But Toro is certainly softening the blow of losing Bregman and Toro is making the case that he’s an everyday caliber major leaguer. It would not surprise me if Toro settled in as a 110-120 wRC+ bat with very good defense at 3B. That’s worth 2-4 wins per year and a really valuable player. I am hoping they hang on to Toro and deploy him as a super sub across 3B, 2B, 1B, LF, and RF over the next 5 years. But if they trade him they’d better get a really really good player back in return.

For now I think Toro is more valuable than Joe Perez but it’s close. Perez has really, really high upside, as he has a 70 grade arm and 70 grade raw power. His ultimate ceiling would be a 30+ HR bat with great 3B defense; that’s a 3-6 win player depending on how many strikeouts come with it.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

A bit surprised Lee wasn’t selected.

9. Screaming Fist

I'm surprised they haven't jettisoned Robel from the 40 man and have Toro fill that role so they can add another long-reliever/spot starter to the 40 man.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd guess Jones is on thinner ice than Robel regarding the 40-man. Robel at least plays defense.

11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Robel is the backup shortstop. He isn't going anywhere. Especially with Diaz and Bregman on the IL.

jim1961 likes this.
  12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Did we designate taylor Jones yet? He is just too tall.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Saw from a verified account yesterday (blanking on who) that the Astros are considering changing the Skeeters name, colors, brand etc. to be something more space themed. This right after I buy my first Skeeters cap, of course.

awc713, Htown Legend and Kim like this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If they’re going to do it, might as well do it now… before the Skeeters become an entrenched institution that generations grew up watching

MadMax likes this.
  15. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Landed on the moon July 24, 1969. The Sugar Land 69ers.

[​IMG]

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Toro can’t play SS, so Robel still has value as the backup there, especially with Bregman out.

raining threes likes this.
  17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Toro can't even get everyday playing time over Robel

#dusty

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Maybe. I think Tucker got jealous and squealed on him to send him back down. /s

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Whoa. He’d thrown pretty well in his last 2 outings. What a fall.