1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MIT Tech Review] Bill Gates: Rich nations should shift entirely to synthetic beef

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Yes let's all deprive ourselves of the basic building block of human bodies in protein to combat climate change when told from a guy who has four mansions, four private jets including TWO Gulfstream 650's!

The sheer lunacy of ultra wealthy people to think they can tell others what to do while living in a cocoon of wealth is just horrendous.
    If one is not willing to sacrifice themselves, why should other's sacrifice by the virtue of their legal and moral push?

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While I don't have much of an opinion of Bill Gates here, I do think your post has a lot of corrections.

1. He isn't proposing protein-free meat.
    2. He is an investor in vegetable based meat so naturally has an incentive to promote pushing people towards it. I don't get why you're ok with the meat lobby or the oil lobby pushing for what's in their economic best interest but Bill Gate's is not allowed to?
    3. Given that he puts a lot of money and effort into reducing co2 from farms and his investment in vegetable based meat, I'd say he is willing to sacrifice himself.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let's hope that after Bill Gates solves the world's problems with synthetic beef that he'll move on to developing synthetic deer

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/03/world/europe/uk-deer-cull.html

As England’s Deer Population Explodes, Some Propose a Mass Cull
    A pandemic-fueled expansion of the herds threatens the plant life that many species depend on for survival. But will the public accept killing many more deer?

By Fleur Macdonald

July 3, 2021

CIRENCESTER, England — During a spring day of sun and showers in Gloucestershire in southwestern England, Mike Robinson, a restaurant owner and self-styled “hunter-gatherer,” was out counting the deer on his land. On any given morning he can see up to 40. He spotted a hind, a female deer, walking more cautiously than normal, a sign that she had company.

“Generally baby roe deer are smaller than the height of the grass,” he said. “So very often you just see the top of their heads or their ears.” Hinds had only started giving birth in recent days. “We’re going to see this colossal increase in numbers,” he said, sounding worried.

In a normal year, deer hunters and government culling programs help limit the herd, and restaurants form an important market for the venison. With the pandemic, hunting and culling stopped, the market for venison collapsed and, as a result, the deer population of Britain is exploding, decimating the plant life that many species depend on.

“Heavy browsing and grazing can impact severely on woodland plants and heath land, and salt marsh habitats,” said Martin Fowlie, a spokesman for the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds. That can lead to declines in bird populations, he added.

To avoid that, some wildlife experts now see a need for drastic action to reduce the deer herd, including through an expanded program of culling. In Britain, which prides itself as a nation of animal lovers, that might be hard for many people to accept.

For some, the answer to making a cull more acceptable is simple: “Anything shot must be eaten,” says Tim Woodward, the chief executive of the Country Food Trust, a charity that distributes game meat, and who supports the idea of a mass cull. But even if that would make a large-scale cull more palatable to the public, it would present a steep logistical challenge that some are only now thinking about ways to meet.

While deer are difficult to count, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals says the population exceeds two million, causing over 74,000 traffic accidents a year and inflicting heavy damage to crops, woodlands and marshes.

[​IMG]

Deer are also among the challenges to Britain’s plans to reduce its carbon footprint. The government has said it hopes to increase tree planting to about 74,000 acres a year by 2025, up from about 25,000 acres a year now, to sequester carbon. Herds of voracious deer munching on unprotected saplings could undermine that effort.

Chris Packham, a noted wildlife activist, has recommended the culling of deer that destroy the dry scrub habitat that serves as a nesting ground for nightingales, whose numbers have declined sharply in recent decades.

Charles Smith-Jones of the British Deer Society, a deer welfare group, also accepts the need for what he calls “active management,” adding: “Of the active methods available, only shooting is really practical.”

Advocates of a cull broad enough to bring the population into balance say it would ultimately require eliminating as many as a million deer through the combined efforts of private landowners, licensed shooters and public bodies like Forestry England, which manages the nation’s forests, and the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.

Even if a program of that breadth could be organized, and if it proved politically possible, that would still leave the problem of what to do with all of the meat.

A major hurdle is resistance to venison, which has never been a popular menu item in the country. A cull large enough to reduce deer to manageable numbers would produce much more meat than could be consumed at current levels.

Yet even before the pandemic, nearly eight million people in Britain were struggling to get enough to eat, Parliament’s Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee reported. Even with the pandemic beginning to ease, food charities around the country are coping with an increase in demand.

In Britain, venison is not typically eaten at home; it has a reputation of being a treat for special occasions.
    more at the link

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

can't see this WWE guy getting all that excited about synthetic beef

6. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Os Trigonum likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I'm all about that beef

9. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Same.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Why not just cull the deer?

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I genuinely don't understand what is there about Gates's position here that is deserving of mockery. Global warming exists and we should look for ways to mitigate and adjust to it. Overconsumption of beef exists, particularly in rich countries, and we know it contributes to the problem. Therefore, we (humanity) would be wise to seek out ways to reduce consumption of beef. Seems pretty straightforward and common sensical, to me.

gifford1967 and London'sBurning like this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

A NERD is telling the JOCKS what to do. That's the issue. Upends the whole order and reality of things.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Y'all have real hobbies and jobs, right?

People get their panties in a twist over stupid s***.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We still have a problem of excess waste to the point where at least a third of all perfectly fine food is sent directly to the dumpster from restaurants and supermarkets.

It's all cultural, fixable, and to a scale where your individual purchasing power doesn't mean a ******* thing.

But it's the principle of MURRCAA!!!

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm enjoying a lunch of synthetic chicken nuggets. I don't miss the real chicken nuggets at all. Considering how processed nuggets made with actual chicken are they might as well be synthetic.

REEKO_HTOWN and Ubiquitin like this.
  16. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I eat fake meat. I eat real meat. I don’t care if it tastes good and won’t immediately kill me.

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

carbohydrates are the real killer

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'd willingly shift to synthetic beef if it's 80% comparable to the real thing.

I've completely switched to Impossible burger for all my ground beef recipes. The only time I would absolutely request real meat is for fine dining like Steak, tartare and the like.

19. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I’ll eat carbs. I’ll eat fat. But I won’t eat blue cheese. That **** is nasty.

Os Trigonum likes this.