1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(The Athletic) Detroit might pass on Cade and take Jalen Green #1?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 22, 2021.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Well the point I was trying to make is that we shouldn't put KPJ on a pedestal just yet or expect Stone to have some sort of huge dilemma if he had to pick and choose who to keep between Cunningham and KPJ. Unless Cunningham is the ultimate bust or KPJ has a monster season next year as a Rocket no GM would jettison his #2 pick over KPJ.

Kevooooo likes this.
  2. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

We can only hope Detroit is gonna Detroit.

D-rock and Dubious like this.
  3. deshen

deshen Member

they are top 2, no doubt.

raining threes likes this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If Cleveland works out Mobley and is floored by what they see I can see this happening:

Detroit picks Mobley at #1
    Cleveland picks Jalen Green at #3

Detroit trades Evan Mobley to Cleveland in exchange for Jalen Green and one or two future 1sts. This way they jump Houston to minimize the risk that the Rockets pick Mobley at #2. Cleveland builds around Sex-Land in the back court and Mobley and Jarrett Allen in the front. Detroit gets their shooting guard plus 1 or 2 picks for safe keeping in the future.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Oh to be a fly on the General Manager's wall, the discussion and permutations must be fascinating.

6. kevtse

kevtse Member

After the Darko Milicic bust, I doubt they still have any balls left to pass on Cade.

D-rock and Dubious like this.
  7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Sucking really makes the offseason more exciting.

8. dmoneybangbang

Buckle up because we got a few exciting offseason ahead of us.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

One interesting factor in all of this is...where does Green want to go?

He's been apparently signaling that he wants to be here, liking Rockets posts...following KPJ, apparently not liking anything from other teams. I don't know how important this is right now but it is definitely something to watch. I don't really know all that much about instagram and how it works but I was told that he has suspiciously been liking Rockets stuff BUT not stuff from the Cavs or Detroit. Someone else can confirm or deny the latter about him not following cavs/det stuff.

Green could theoretically force Detroit's hand and say he'd rather not go there and make that decision easier for them...same for Cleveland. Well he doesn't have to come out and say it even but the signals he's sending already seem to be saying as much. If I were Green I know I'd much rather be playing for Houston or Toronto and would do what I could to assure that happens.

Again, not saying this will happen, it's happened before of course though and if the instagram stuff is true he might be flirting with the possibility of telling certain teams not to bother.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t understand why Weaver wouldn’t attempt to extract the ability to trade his own picks again, If possible, If he views Green/Cade/Mobley similarly.

11. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I know this wasn't really the point of your post, but I like that Green wants to be here and I also hope/assume for Stone that will play almost no part in the evaluation. I think Bagley being the rare top guy to really indicate wanting to go to Sacramento was part of why they foolishly passed on Doncic to take him.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah this is definitely something that comes into play. Detroit will schedule interviews and workouts and all that stuff and what if Green just doesn't go? Just not going will be a clear sign to them that he's not interested in playing there and if they are already splitting hairs between Cade and Green that would make them lock on to Cade surely. It's something to keep an eye on as we get closer and closer as these players can kind of say "Eh, don't really want to play there" and force these teams to do something else instead of pick a player that's just going to use their team as a launching pad to going somewhere else.

13. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I wonder if the Rockets have their eyes on a player that’s between 3-22. Otherwise why are these rumors coming up about us trading down for multiple picks?

14. PatBev

PatBev Member

Because who the **** wants to live in Detroit or Cleveland lol

I think Green is looking at KPJ thinking “man he tore it up last year. Him and I could probably be a great duo for the next decade”

15. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

If anything the Rockets should trade picks 23 and 24 up instead of trading down pick 2. Kai Jones could be a good target that could slip out of the lottery.

D-rock and raining threes like this.
  16. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

If I were the Pistons I would take Green. This dude seems like he is going to be special. Cade Cunningham would be a nice consolation prize for the Rockets.

Richie_Rich, ApacheWarrior and D-rock like this.
  17. HardenVolumeOne

Silas wants Cade, he would have his own potential luka that he could mold

fckbandwagons likes this.
  18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Because they want to give us something to talk about over the next month.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...buzz-is-cade-cunningham-definitely-going-no-1

Gossip exchanged at the NBA combine included the Detroit Pistons and their No. 1 overall pick, presumed to be Oklahoma State's Cade Cunningham. But some rival teams brought up the Pistons' possible interest in G League Ignite star Jalen Green.

But we can only write what we know: sources tell Bleacher Report that certain staff around general manager Troy Weaver were initially informed about Detroit's plan to take Cunningham.

Cunningham, the perceived No. 1 overall favorite all season, isn't expected to work out or visit with anyone other than the lottery-winning Pistons. It's unknown yet if Detroit will attempt to bring in Green, USC's Evan Mobley or Gonzaga's Jalen Suggs.

Of course, another question is circulating: What would it take for the Pistons to trade down, especially if their rumored interest in Green is legitimate? Some scouts believe Detroit value Green more at No. 2, citing a smaller gap between him and Cunningham compared to what the media has painted. Previous unconventional draft picks and signings make it easier to picture Weaver ignoring outside expectations.

But imaginations tend to run wild the weeks before the draft. Cunningham's elite play-making and shooting make him a tough pass. At this stage, the Pistons can't bank on Killian Hayes managing a full workload as the Pistons' lone initiator.

Green doesn't offer the same playmaking ability as Cunningham. Detroit can still use Hayes in ball-screen situations and slide Cunningham off the ball, where he shot 43.9 percent as a catch-and-shoot threat, per Synergy Sports. But even Hayes has experience playing 2-guard, where he logged 44.0 percent of his possessions as a rookie.

Green possesses No. 1-option scoring potential, but Cunningham generated 1.06 points per possession out of isolation, per Synergy Sports, the highest of any recent NCAA lottery pick (minimum 50 possessions). There are differences in Cunningham's movement compared to Luka Doncic's, but his archetype is the same.

Like every team that picks first overall, Detroit will presumably listen to offers. The Rockets could propose No. 2, plus future picks from the James Harden trade and Kevin Porter Jr. Or the Cleveland Cavaliers could offer No. 3, a future first-rounder and Collin Sexton.

Conversations will take place. New gossip will continue to circulate. In all likelihood, more smoke about the Pistons' interest in Green and Mobley will surface during rumor season until it circles back to Cunningham.

20. Rockets4Life13

This would be a horrible idea. We'll be fine with #2, no need to get greedy. If anything, try to get that #3 from cavs.