1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breakdown of our choices at 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jun 22, 2021.

?

Who should we take?

1. Green

223 vote(s)
    59.8%
  2. Mobley

110 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. Suggs

40 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'll be surprised if he does, but I could see it. The one thing he can do is score, so it's certainly possible he takes a step forward and gets better as a scorer.

I'll be wrong about him if he does more than just be a traditional SG who can shoot and score.

2. MystikArkitect

I mean...would you rather have Jayson Tatum or Joel Embiid? And that's me being generous to both Mobley and Green.

You can't win if your center is your #1 option.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They aren't really similar to either of those players really, but if you had to pick one you'd go with a healthy Embiid.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Ok...but the league's top 4 scorers are out of the playoffs, most of them didn't even make it out of the first round, the first one didn't even make it to the playoffs. Scoring is getting overrated nowadays, people are leaning FAR too much into it now and thinking defense just doesn't matter that you can always just go into a game with a bombs away mentality. Like even as bigs dominate in the playoffs and help their team wins people are still going "Can't draft a center with a high pick anymore..."

We have a 20-10 center that isn't a good defender and will need help in the post if he is going to be the long term solution for the team. That much is clear.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Jokic’ is another big taken late in the draft (2nd round I believe). I’m not saying they grow on trees, but if the rockets deem Green the better player, they shouldn’t pass on him just to add size. Don’t get me wrong; we need to add size, but this pick has to be BPA for Houston.

mario elie and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  6. Salvy

Salvy Member

Stone can pick anyone he wants as long as its Mobley...

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Lavine did not average 25 points until his SIXTH season.

Kobe did not average 25 points until his FIFTH season.

Need to just lower the expectations just a tad.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Played Point Forward his only season in college.

But Barnes did play point.

He will be a forward in NBA however.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

#369 D-rock, Jun 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    groovemachine likes this.
  10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

It's Mobley for me. The fit with this team is almost too good. The height and frame, the positional flexibility to play 4 or 5, the defensive prowess for a team that's in need of a plus defender, the youth and potential...not to mention that if Wood plays a full season it will be the first time he has completed a full season.

We just picked up a young volume scorer last season in Porter and there seems to be no shortage of players in the NBA with offensive capability.

Porter-Tate-Martin-Mobley-Wood is a heck of a young group.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

#371 J.R., Jun 29, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see KPJ as a volume scorer at all. I see him as a tempo-controlling PG.

We need an efficient volume scorer desperately so KPJ doesn't have to do it.

#372 RudyTBag, Jun 29, 2021
    latebloomer19 and Bo6 like this.
  13. Bo6

Bo6 Member

this lineup doesn't have a single person who can get their own shot besides porter and we know that's his biggest issue right now is doing it consistently.

BossHogg713 and RudyTBag like this.
  14. rockets13champs

Yeah good team but would collapse in a playoff series

15. Rocket_Man_2.0

The college competition makes Mobley look better then he really is. Once he gets to NBA he'll get out muscled. His thin gangly frame is an injury waiting to happen. 2:38.

16. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Well we also have Wall at PG so Porter being a decent shooter seems like the obvious choice. I didn't mean for that 5 to be like a starting lineup just saying it's a solid young core to grow and build up. Even though I would love to see Tate develop a consistent 3 and them to use him as an imposing oversized guard I don't think that's the plan. He's a 3 until we see otherwise right?

See above. My mistake presenting it like that without clarifying. Also Wood hasn't had a problem getting off his shots as much as he has a problem just getting the ball. Tate on the post is an effective post option when he can pin down a guard as well.
    We just won 17 games, leave the p-word out of it yeah?

D-rock likes this.
  17. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

The center position has changed/is changing though. Slighter framed guys are more common because they are faster and typically shoot better. Brutal sized centers are a thing of the past because they foul too much and their defense doesn't outweigh (pun intended) the lack of spacing. People considered Capela undersized even after he added his man weight. He was what, 250? Guys who are bigger than 250 have to be less common than they were even 10 years ago, much less 20 and certainly back into the 90s when every team seemed to have a gargantuan man at center by default. I think more teams would rather have an 'undersized' Capela who can run even if they can't shoot. That's just eyeballs though. If I was bored enough I'd write about it, probably prove it and not get paid for it because welcome to the internet.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Rocket_Man_2.0

I agree. Capela with a 3pt shot are the future of NBA centers....but those type of players can be found lower in the draft. No need to spend the #2 pick on one. Take this guy for example: Kai Jones. He can give you 90% of what Mobley can give you.

BHannes2BHonest, Bo6 and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Cavs may surprise everyone and go Kuminga at 3.

20. Rocket_Man_2.0

Jalen Green to me is the better more NBA ready player...his skill set will make him an immediate allstar.