1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green should be the pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jun 22, 2021.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

KPJ has two years of development on Green. At Green's age KPJ was at USC averaging 9.5p with a 1.4/1.9 AST/TO ratio. Even after his rookie season in Cleveland his assist numbers didn't suggest he could play PG. His numbers were pedestrian, but the elite skill and athleticism were evident. Love called him the most talented player on the roster and it showed. That's why we were so excited to pick him up. He had all the potential in the world.

The Vipers were motivated to develop KPJ, it's our affiliate. Green played fewer minutes and took fewer shots. He also played with a veteran PG in Jarret Jack so he was not the primary playmaker and averaged far fewer turnovers as a result. You're not supposed to look for gaudy stats at this age, like with KPJ you want to see a package of skills that can develop. I think his skill level and athleticism is even higher than KPJ's.

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

That 21% includes every single league in the world, from China to Russia to G-League. That includes leagues that are worse than the G-League (which there are many of).

If you play in a competition filled with teenage kids where 80% of them are either not good enough to play professionally anywhere afterwards, or do not have the passion to play professionally anywhere, you can't possibly argue that this league is equally as competitive as a development league that the NBA consistently sends their best young players to.

For reference, from the NBA themselves.

Nearly half of the NBA players in the opening night rosters had g-league experience.

For every single season in the last 8 season, at minimum you get 30 prospects (half of the NBA draft) that grinded hard enough to get called up to try out in the NBA.

How could college basketball possibly be perceived as on par with G-League?

#662 flamingdts, Jun 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

I need to see this kind of defensive effort and IQ from Jalen Green.

Green is taller than Porter but his wingspan is 3" shorter (6'7 vs. 6'10).

Drift Monkey likes this.
  4. i3artow i3aller

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Both vids are well worth watching, interesting breakdown of both players.

JayGoogle and i3artow i3aller like this.
  6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

No it's the product as a whole; but in Tilman's eyes.....the main one

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That, and KPJ is an absurd talent.

We can't understate how high his ceiling truly is If he ever puts it all together.

#667 RudyTBag, Jun 29, 2021
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Hearing about Green's work ethic has really sold me, if it's true what Rockets Legend Bobby Brown said about him.

I don't watch college ball but I've read Mobley does not always give 100%. Is that true? I really don't want the headache of a potential franchise player you have to convince to give 100%.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Plus Green is coming into the league with a chip on his shoulder for not being named the #1 pick.

bballjunkie and RudyTBag like this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

There are some reports that question Mobley's work ethic and his level of commitment with the game. The opposite happens with Green. Honestly, having already a player in the team like KPJ, with a huge history of problems "off the field", I am not totally convinced to add another headache.

Mathloom likes this.
  12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

[​IMG]

13. PatBev

PatBev Member

Green chose to go work on his game against debatable better opponents then to go live like a king in college for a year

I really like his mentality and confidence to skip college and still know he’ll be drafted

14. dmoneybangbang

Defense rarely translates immediately and Mobley is going to have to get use to the faster pace and greater physicality.

The guards plus Cade are the consensus can contribute immediately

15. dmoneybangbang

It’s a weird argument that can be easily proven…. I think some need to put down the G League in order to prop up Mobley.

MrButtocks and Omihall23 like this.
  16. raining threes

So are you saying you wouldn't pick Kobe?

Are you unwilling to wait on player development? Because if that's the case you dont want the 7 foot 215 lbs Mobley either.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

This Work ethics trump's all imo. All the greats that made significant improvements are gym rats.

It's the aloof players that usually get left behind

Mathloom and RudyTBag like this.
  19. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

Tatum and Brown went to the CF just last year and make the playoffs every year. Harden has carried his team to the playoffs every year and past the 1st round multiple times. The best Zach Lavine has done is 10 games below .500 in the East. C’mon Donatello…

Zach Lavine wishes he had accomplished anything close to any of those players u mentioned

The Rockets are also not a good team, have an injury prone roster, and Silas hasn’t proven he’s a good coach, so what exactly is Zach Lavine gonna do in Houston that he didn’t do in Chicago? Why is a 17 win roster gonna provide the right cast for Zach Lavine to maybe lead to wins for once?

I never said that Zach Lavine is the problem, he’s just not the solution. Zach Lavine is not a leader. He is not gonna transform a franchise and take all the young guys to new heights like CP3 does. He is nothing like a Chris Paul or anywhere close.

It’s not that Lavine’s advanced stats are bad, they just aren’t that impressive for someone putting up a statline of 27, 5, and 5 on 51/42/85 shooting splits. Donovan Mitchell has higher WS/48 than Lavine, and so does Sabonis and Randle. and I would never want the likes of Sabonis or Randle on a max deal anyways. Beal is another guy who puts up great stats and leads his team nowhere. Harden can average 26, 5, and 6 his 1st year here and lead a very sorry roster to 45 wins and the 8th seed in the West. Meanwhile Beal is putting up 31, 5, and 4, but his team is 17-32 at 1 point and needs to go 17-6 just to make the play-in. U would think someone averaging over 30 on good efficiency wouldn’t be 15 games below .500. Beal is another one who’s impact and advanced stats don’t match the guady statline he puts up. He is a #2 who can put up crazy stats as a #1 on a losing team. Zach Lavine is the same. Zach Lavine would be a #1 in Houston. He will put up nice numbers, and the team will win 20-30 games. Zach Lavine or Beal would be great in a place like Philly where Embiid is their best player and they’re in dire need of perimeter creation, not in Houston where the team sucks and they would be by far the best player on the team.

This is a 17 win roster. What right team are they gonna be able to put around Zach Lavine? Jalen Green is almost a decade younger, and will be here for 7-8 years at least for the start of his career. The Rockets who are so far away from competing can take their time building with him. U can’t compare people wanting 19 y/o Jalen Green to not wanting 27 y/o max contract Lavine.

#680 Reeko, Jun 29, 2021
    hakeem94 likes this.