1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green should be the pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jun 22, 2021.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Terrence Ross played college ball. Jalen Green played well in the G-league. Fresh out of high school. Hes been getting NBA experience the whole time. Hes pretty much coming into his 2nd season.
    Jalen Green is already an NBA vet.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

None of that has anything to do with what I said though.

If Green ends up a Terrence Ross clone, which is very possible, what difference does it make that he played in the glorified rec league that is the G League instead of college?

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He won't.

bballjunkie and ApacheWarrior like this.
  4. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Mobley is risky.
    I prefer Green

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not really convincing given how much in common they have. Their pre draft scouting reports are eerily similar.

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Green could become Terrence Ross, Mobley could become Bagley.

No one knows who will become the better basketball player 5 years from now.

However, the only thing we do know is G-League competition is better than college competition. Maybe the gap between g-league competition and NBA is still big enough that it doesn't mean much, but at the end of the day there is a difference between college basketball players versus the g-league, who are grown men playing professional basketball.

bballjunkie, coachbadlee and Denovo like this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

People keep saying that but as someone who for years has watched a lot of college and a lot of G league basketball, I disagree.

As I said before, take the lowest 12 seeds in the NCAA tournament and replace them with the G league teams and a college team still wins it every year.

Has been types and never will be types paying in a glorified rec league just isn't impressive and never has been.

The guys from college who aren't good enough for the NBA go to play overseas, the guys not good enough for the NBA who aren't good enough to play overseas play in the g league. The only talent they get is reclamation projects and super raw nba prospects who aren't yet good enough for the NBA but are on NBA contracts.

8. DonatelloLimestone

When I watch him play he just dominates and has gotten skilled an good enough to where hes at the level of making it look easy and with that high points at the 50/40/90club I'm willing to bet he isn't the problem. Not only that, his trend is getting better every single year. EVen with Green, in 4 years we're looking at a 130/150 million contract if it goes right. I get the timeline argument, but getting talent in their prime is still something. Having a superstar or a guy who continues to get better and more efficient each year is the type of influence i evne want on young guys. Its like Ayton said the other night, Chris Paul was the best thing that happened to his career. He had a high performing reputable player who delivers hold him accountable, come in and be hypercompetitive and take the young talent in the franchise over the edge where now they are close to being in the finals unexpectedly. So there are many angles it can play with. I'd imagine if zach lavine had better teammates, older, maybe less rotating in an out as well as different coaches each year, his advance stats woul improve. The talent is there, the growth is there, the performance is there and he still entering his prime.

If Green ends like him,hopefully faster than he did, I'd take it as a win and 4 years we're paying him even more.I'm on team green, I get we're young/ Just referencing the response to the zachlavine pole and green may very well be around that, an thats a pretty solid impressive performance

9. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

Who is your preference rn?

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You can disagree, but most analyst just aren't on your page. Practically any article that you can find about Green right now, whether it's ESPN, Bleacher Report, will all bring up Jalen Green's g-league stint as a big plus and how it's a closer comparison to NBA than college.

You mentioned the guys that play in college who aren't good enough go overseas. However, how many of them actually go overseas? Here are the official stats.

Of NCAA prospects, only 21% of NCAA players continue to play basketball professionally of any kind after they leave. So 4 out of every 5 NCAA basketball player straight up do not continue playing basketball at a professional level after college, how could these types of players possibly be equal/greater competition than g-league where every player is training and living basketball in order to earn a spot in the NBA?

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

all that domination yet he can’t even carry his team to being just .500

he’s averaged almost 26, 5, and 5 the past 3 years, and the Bulls have gone 62-119 with him in the lineup…yes the Bulls roster isn’t good, but the Rockets roster sucks too…the Bulls are competing for top 10 picks with Zach Lavine leading them

despite his nice numbers, Zach Lavine isn’t even currently a top 20 player

we would have Green on his rookie deal, and then for a 2nd contract…huge difference between that and handing Zach Lavine a max to put up numbers for 1 of the worst teams in the league leading us to 20 something or low 30’s in wins…Rockets will have 4 years to continue building the team before paying Jalen Green, and if Green ends up just being a Zach Lavine clone, then we are in trouble if that is our best player after rebuilding

what Ayton said is important, but Lavine is nothing like Chris Paul, he’s closer to a John Wall type than some leader like Paul who would mentor young guys, hold everyone accountable, and transform a team with his leadership…Zach Lavine needs a Chris Paul

#651 Reeko, Jun 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  12. DonatelloLimestone

I mean harden went to a late seed recently, Jason Tatun and Brown and STevens just went down to .500 this year, does that mean you don't want them? Team, chemistry, injuries, coaching(hoiberg,boylen,donavan), so many factors to takedown a really impressive player whose not only put up good stats but he id it more and more efficiently each year. Hes hit clutch shots and hes still improving. The bulls were not a good team, not well coaches and of course hes to blame as a star, but I don't think hes teh problem as if his cieling is going to a .500 team, hes not ricky davis putting up empty stats. Hes a solid competitor, dangerous in the clutch an after contracts hes still workign and trying to get better. That all the right markers in my eyes. So in my eyes with the right cast, lavine can lead to win. And to not mention hes played before for Hoiberg an Boylon who try to run college systems an styles in the nba and lavines first year he was injured and only played 24 games there.. John wall has never bene efficient, never had that 'feel' that lavine has, a smooth game, effortless as in efficient yet doing incredible things, you can tell he puts in the work, watches his tape, and just wants to get better rather than show out big stats, cash a check, adn go home. Another one is D'aaron fox. Impressive player, he can do so many things in this game, but hes never lead his team to the playoffs or close despite impressive stats. But once again, hes not the problem.

Also which advanced stats of his are you saying hes not good at? He is above Mitchel, Sabonis, Fox, and Julies randle in Offensive win shares, his value-over-replacement player over beal, d mitchell, jaylen brown, paul george. I get a lot of your points, but just the trend he is going hes one of the best offensive players right now in the game. With the right team you can make that work, if you can hide trey young an other guys, laveine is way more athletic and the right coach can at least improve him there

In the end, I think green can be special. I also think Lavine is a special player, hes 27. I wouldn't trade green for lavine for rockets for where we are, but back in that poll if we had a shot I'd give it a hard look even if he doesn't fit our timeline hes still young enough and can iprovoe and challenge and grow our young players each day too

#652 DonatelloLimestone, Jun 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    raining threes likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

And Lavine is still a poor defender.

And he tries his ace off on that end.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

I really hope this is not the reason for drafting Green.

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Green got game

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

I think the defense will translate immediately. The rim protection will translate immediately. And the rebounding will improve immediately with two 7 footers playing alongside one another.

Will Green average 25 points immediately?

Not seeing that happening right away, it surely did not happen right away with Lavine which is Green's best comp.

Even the great Kobe Bryant did not average 25 points until his FIFTH season.

Kobe didnt average 20 points until his FOURTH season.

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Green's journey as a top pick from g league to NBA star is a great story for the NBA and hence Adam Silver. Could use that story to drive tons of players into the g league. If the NBA front office can influence results, Green would probably be a favorite of theirs. Might be a plus for Green.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Darius Bagley was not touted as a Unicorn coming out of college.

Bagley is compared to Bosh offensively, but he is limited defensively especially protecting rim because his wingspan is 7'0 versus Mobley who has a plus 7'4 wingspan.

Therein lies the difference.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

How does that make him wrong? You're saying more than one fifth of NCAA players total play professionally, this is counting ALL NCAA players, not just prospects. 21 percent is a pretty large number when you consider this is counting all NCAA divisions. that's a pretty large number, this is basically them bragging that if you play in the NCAA you have a great chance at making money playing basketball somewhere in the world, you have a slightly more than 1 in 5 chance

It's safe to also assume, since you can actually make millions playing in Europe, that the Euroleague gets 2nd dibs on NCAA prospects. This is how you have guys like Mirotic leave the NBA to go make millions still in Europe and also how guys like Tate go play in Belgium or Beverly or whoever you want to name go to Europe to play their way back into the NBA and it shouldn't even be an argument that the competition there is still leagues above the Gleague and that's because they do get the NBA draft leftovers.

If you ever watch their games you'll be surprisd at how many americans are on their teams.

Mike James was really over there being one of their highest paid players. Jan Vesely is over there getting paid millions...not as much as the NBA sure but sure as a hell a lot more than the Gleague which means that yeah...if you don't make the NBA then any players preferred destination after that is Europe unless they are really worried about being homesick which is a legit concern I guess.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Right now its Mobley, just because I believe his ceiling is the highest.

But hard to go wrong with either Cade, Mobley or Green.

It's a great problem to have IMO.