1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

(The Athletic) Detroit might pass on Cade and take Jalen Green #1?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I trust Stone more than any of the yahoos, including myself, on this board. He brought in Tate, KMP, KPJ, didn’t fall for the Simmons bullshit. The guy does evaluate talent very well.

2. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not 100% sure but I think he said this before the draft. I believe he said it because we had the worst record and therefore picked first in everyone's mock draft.

3. vince

vince Member

Having the number 1 pick in this draft seems kind of boring. The real excitement starts with pick number 2, because there is a lot of hype surrounding the next talented 3 players.

Though #1 may end up being quite the special talent!

I'm just glad the Rockets are in a deep draft to fortify their rebuild endeavour. Even in the 23 and 24 picks, most expect good quality depth or players to be found that deep into the draft.

HTXSportsAddict, D-rock and dkoune like this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Its real brody. It says bleacher report.

RudyTBag likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

it’s fake

6. tc0330

tc0330 Member

amen

7. vince

vince Member

The more and more I see Green, the more I think that he's going to catapult toward the top of the draft. He may not overtake Cade, but I think the further this process goes along, the more likely that he may nudge himself into the conversation. I wonder how many publications will have Detroit with a mock pick of Green before the draft, I suspect a few may.

The modern NBA is geared for offense. The league makes rules to accommodate offensive players, and put more pressure on defensive players. Hence special offensive talented guys are the new premium. Though many feel that Mobley can be an offensive force, but he's going to have to grow into that (but he does have that soft touch you want in a big man - who has a high Baseball IQ and should project well defensively.)

But Green's prowess as a scorer while being a capable defender may be the key combination for a top 2 pick.

joshuaao, Denovo and JusBleezy like this.
  8. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

This. All this. Completely agree. Even if it means (and it pains me to say) that we end up with Mobley. I'm bullish on Green or Cade, but if Stone thinks this is the guy, I trust his judgment.

9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think there’s a real chance Detroit passes on Cade. Read something about their GM being a free thinker and having a history of going against the grain. And I just think the measurables of Green and Mobley will be very enticing.

JusBleezy, Richie_Rich and D-rock like this.
  10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

This Pistons fan vents his frustration on the matter:

TimDuncanDonaut and D-rock like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Edge to Cade but would be a tough call.

Cade is most ready to play now and has amazing position flex but he does not have Unicorn potential, offensively or defensively.

HTXSportsAddict and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Thank gawd you are not making decisions for the Rockets.

#193 D-rock, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Right now, if I am Detroit, I am basically in the EXACT same position as the Rockets with less assets. I have a high end expensive forward and no guards. I think Houston has one in KPJ but Detroit has nothing. I can definitely see them leaning to Green but also they may feel they have nothing anyway and just take the best player which may also be Green for Detroit. I definitely wouldn't give them ****. As bimathug stated as time goes on they are going to have to trade with us to get access back to trading their picks if they pick up any good players and want to build. We will be in the high lottery again next year and they will as well.

D-rock likes this.
  15. riko

riko Member

Damn if Stone gets Cade good times . That kid is a franchise changer

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They do this every year. The NBA writers have nothing to do right now and this is a good boilerplate story where you can just pencil in the current names to fill the pages for a week.

Remember "Rockets should take Jay Williams instead of Yao"? This is such a clickbait-y annual event, im surprised people are taking it so seriously.

17. Le$$

Le$$ Member

HTXSportsAddict, Rudyc281 and D-rock like this.
  18. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Sounds like agent/GM mind games.

19. PatBev

PatBev Member

I can’t see the Detroit fan base responding very well if the pass on Cade

But I like Green also and wouldn’t be surprised and I’ll respect Detroit GM for having the balls to do so

JusBleezy likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm kinda hoping they chose Cade. I think Green has the higher ceiling. Cade has the higher floor though.

ApacheWarrior likes this.