1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green should be the pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jun 22, 2021.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I see the logic in your nba commentary matches your political. Comparing % from a forward and a guard.

you really got em!!

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Brilliant kid, so the 6'6 athletic SG/SF is now COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than the 6'6 athletic SG.

At least you tried.

peleincubus likes this.
  3. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

The good news is he won't always be 18/19 when he is in the NBA...

raining threes likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So you're hoping he grows up and becomes a radically better player, I can respect that, I just want people to acknowledge that he's not that guy now and probably won't be for at least a few seasons if ever.

At the same time, I'd like us to acknowledge that the same could happen to guys already on the roster who did better in the NBA at 20 and 21 than he did in the G league at 19.

i3artow i3aller and D-rock like this.
  5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Ralph as a pro would not have been that successful without Olajuwon
    by his side doing the dirty work in the paint. Olajuwon demanded double-triple
    teams. That allowed Sampson to slip under the radar.

Sampson best point total was 22 points.....I posted I think Mobley best will be 19.
    Sampson averaged 15 points per gm x his career....I posted that Mobley will be 16.
    Ralph was 4 time All-Star.....I posted that Mobley might get it one.

Ralph had Olajuwon to carry him, Nerlens survives the season with Steven Adams
    or Julius Randall carrying him.......Christian Wood is not going to carry Mobley.
    Wood will be in the next hospital bed by Mobley as both recover from broken backs
    after trying to guard Embiid or KAT or Vuc or Valanciunas or Nurkic in the paint.

You, you talkie the crazy talk

coachbadlee likes this.
  6. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Devin Booker averaged 10/game at Kentucky as a freshman. Maybe Bron or KD could have but very few 18/19 year olds are going to go straight from high school to the G League and be able to put up 30 a game or whatever out of the gate. An extra couple of years after playing in college makes a big difference in development.

7. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

love the kids game but I’m not a fan of the Levine/Beal/Mitchell archetype. Being an amazing scorer but poor distributor means the ball is out of our best scorers hands. Couple that with lack of defense and the archetype is too one dimensional for my taste. Ideally you have a 3 level scorer who can process the defense quickly and also make the pass to any spot on the court.

robbie380 and D-rock like this.
  8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You're removing all important context.

He played 15 games in the g-league, and shot a very efficient 61 TS%.

Practically every noteworthy column, or analyst has Green pegged as the guy with the most scoring potential.

If his performance is as bad as you are making it out to be, he wouldn't a near consensus top 3 pick.

9. sydmill

sydmill Member

If the Rockets pick Green then I hope he turns into everything some people are pumping him up to be. I'm just afraid that even if he becomes a bona fide all-star, all NBA type player that he won't have the impact that Mobley might. Lavine & Beal are both examples of amazing players whose teams were not a threat. I think Mobley, if he hits his potential, is in another class. No guarantees he does and no guarantees that Green doesn't top out at Wade or Kobe. So all the Rockets can do is decide which player to bet on.

raining threes and D-rock like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not sure if you realize that Ralph won ROY while Olajuwon was still playing for the Cougars.

Ralph played alongside Dream as a starter, Nerlens is a backup.

Your comparison is apples to oranges, not even sure what you are trying to say.

Is your point that if Mobley is drafted by the Rockets he would be coming off the bench????

If so I could not disagree more, Mobley would be used exactly like Rockets used Ralph - a complement to Wood, not a supplement.

Mobley would start beside Wood.

Capela ran circles around Gobbert and he did not try to out power Embiid, he out quicked and out worked him.

It seems to have worked - guess who is still playing for a ring.

Hint: it's the skinny guy - not Gobbert, not Nurkic, Embiid, not Jokic.

And FYI - those big guys you are so fond of - they all have a history of shortened seasons due to injury.

Not so much Gobbert, he is still on skinny side.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The positive is that was his best shooting ever but he’s never shot that well before. My bigger issue is his style of play. No defense, no rebounding, doesn’t move the ball on offense, and doesn’t move without the ball.

I don’t like ripping on a guy so young but he has a lot of issues with his game.

D-rock likes this.
  12. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

No team including the Rockets are giving KMJ the ball and telling him to score. Everywhere Green has played, opposing teams know Green is going to get the ball to try to score. Just two completely different situations. Ppl aren’t looking at this in context, look at Greens growth every year, he keeps getting better and better. It’s not just “why didn’t he lead the G League in scoring”. Kobe averaged like 7 pts a game his Rookie season, but you have to look at things within each players growth especially if we are talking about 18 year olds.

13. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

It doesn’t matter how good a player you are. You aren’t gonna win games unless the team is good. Name a center that wills their team to the playoffs without significant help?

14. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

If you listen to his interview he wasn’t asked to do many of those things. He’s aware that he needs to be able to do those things and seems willing to actually work on it. Once again where is the same criticisms of Mobley?

Denovo likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

There seems to be quite a lot of criticism directed at Mobley on CF and by Rocket Nation.

Some even legitimate.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

look obviously the extrapolation is a best case scenario. Same as with Mobley.

personally I think it’s insane to be like “he couldn’t even average xyz in the g league but blah blah”. My guess is you didn’t watch him play in the g league? And I don’t say that mean spirited. More from a did you watch the ignite in the g league lol.

There were lots of players all with solid usage on that team. Jalens wasn’t the highest. He took fewer shots per game than Kuminga - who can’t shoot - for example.

and I don’t say that to be like “he’s going to average 25 a night his rookie year!!!”

truth is… we don’t know.

the skills are there for him to grow into a 25 maybe 30 ppg guy in his prime. But maybe not.

by the same token I can easily say it’s impossible to see Mobley turning into anything more than average in the NBA. He had some horrible college games and some solid ones. And the mentality is questionable. But that was my whole point.

it’s interesting you picked out the 30 ppg comment on Jalen but not the 23, 13, 3 comment for Mobley which would make him legit a unicorn. ADs never had that season.

it sounds like you’re biased towards Mobley… which is fine…

I just wish people who were so strongly one way or the other could recognize that it’s basically 50/50 here and both could be great or completely average at their peaks at the next level.

17. dmoneybangbang

Take Green/Mobley at #2 then trade C Wood to Charlotte for PJ Washington + #11. Draft Moses Moody (aka Mikal Bridges lite) with #11.

18. JayZ750

I mean its basically the same archetype as Devin Booker, and that's working out ok now.

Yes, you'd like that player to have A defense and A passing as well... but that player isn't on the board.

19. JayZ750

Christian Wood was basically an all star when healthy last year, is on a super cheap contract, and you want to trade him for PJ Washington and the #11 pick? Is health your concern? Otherwise, that's not enough value for CWood.

D-rock likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

PJ Washington is 6-6.5 barefoot.

Trading Wood just exacerbates Rockets lack of height and removes a 20/10 player from lineup.

Wood also happens to be closest thing to an All Star on the team.

Hornets would not even blink before agreeing to that trade IMO.

ChillyPete32 likes this.