1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

man tanking really sucks... you lose so much games on purpose and in the end you are guaranteed NOTHING .... NADA..... ZILCH...
    lolololo9lolol

JayGoogle likes this.
  2. PatBev

PatBev Member

I agree. I love KPJ but we need insurance for if he can’t keep his head on straight.

I would rather lock in Green then be stuck with Mobley if KPJ doesn’t work out

Be much harder for us find a All star type guard then a 7ft big man

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

A lot of big men play later because sometimes they are literally approached. It's rare to find a big like AD that had some insane growth spurt and became a basketball players. A lot of guys are basically guided to be basketball players...Hakeem's first choice wasn't basketball either for example and the same can be said for Duncan.

I think the fact that Mobley admits it had to grow on him won't change any minds because it has to grow for a lot of bigs. If you're walking around high-school and the tallest guy in the school it's a bet that someone is going to ask if you've ever tried basketball...

Meanwhile guards have to love the sport to break through because the skills required to be an elite guard, dribbling and shooting, take more time to acquire.

#43 JayGoogle, Jun 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

And also...it's a lot easier to find a guard that can score than a big that can defend all 5 positions.

albuster likes this.
  5. PatBev

PatBev Member

As a 5’11 white boy I’ll always be biased towards guards over a big lol

Unless there name is Jokic… I don’t want to use a #2 pick on a 7ft big. I just imagine injuries

JayGoogle likes this.
  6. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Key word in my post bro was "essentially" lol. Curry is considered a PG but he's just really an undersized 2. KD is just a big 2 guard, he plays the 3 primarily but KD has played the 2 spot damn near his whole career bro. You gotta pay attention to what's going on more on the floor a little bit better bro. You're just getting locked into what their said positions are and that's very different from their play styles. Nobody with any real basketball IQ would ever say that RW is a C just because he can get 10 boards in his sleep or that Jokic is a PG because he could lead the league in assist. That's really ludicrous bro. GSW did have more talent than the whole entire league, that much I do agree with you on. But what was the narrative when the GSW signed KD? "KD and Curry virtually play the same position, there are not enough balls to go around, there defense is going to be lacking, etc." GSW signed the best player in the league and figured "fit" out on the fly and won 2 championships in the process. Now Phoenix is in the position their in currently because they're winning. You can try to be cute and spin it all day long bro but they are winning. Has nothing to do with another teams injuries or whatever other excuse you can think of.

7. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Guards that score efficiently? Really?

If you know where the Rockets can acquire guards who score with Harden-like efficiency then pick up a couple for them. Those guys are hard to find.

34to11 and Richie_Rich like this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't see that with Green though. I'm not just going to assume he's going to be an MVP level guard like Harden.

I mean practically every #1 SG prospect comes into the league lauded for their scoring...most of them don't go on to score like Harden or Kobe and we have no reason to believe that Green is going to be the next all-time great.

9. aelliott

All the top prospects this year have their strength and weaknesses. None of these guys are can't miss projects.

Please stop with the ridiculous comparisons. Mobley isn't going to be Olajuwon, Garnett or AD. Likewise, Green isn't going to be MJ or Kobe.

If you prefer one prospect over another then by all means argue your case for your guy but be realistic. Presenting bogus arguments doesn't strengthen your case.

What do I mean by bogus?

How about worrying about Green being too ball dominant to play with Porter? Green's usage last year was 23.4 while Mobley's was 22.8. They basically handle the ball the same amount. They both handle the ball about the same amount or less than about half of last years Rocket roster.

Another is assuming that Green is just a guy that jacks up lots of shots to score. He's highly efficient. Coming straight out of HS and playing against pros he posted 61% ts%. In his only playoff game he scored 30 with 7 ast, 5 boards, 3 steals on 65% ts%. There's only a handful of guys in the NBA that can score and maintain that level of efficiency.

Green can't pass. Green averaged 2.8 ast/g as a shooting guard. Cunningham averaged 3.5 ast/g as a point guard while dominating the ball much more than Green ( 29.1 usage vs 23.4 usage). Green also has a better ast/to ratio than Cunningham. Green was also more efficient than Cunningham too.

Support your favorite but let's keep it real.

#49 aelliott, Jun 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  10. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

James Harden doesn't count?

11. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I agree they need to draft Evan Mobley. Dude is a difference maker. The Rockets should just trade Wood to the Warriors for their 7th pick. Then they can get a shooter there at 7th.

12. aelliott

Not discussing MVP.

You said you can always find scorers. My point was you can't easily find scorers who are highly efficient.

Here's the entire list of players who scored at least 17 per game and had a ts% over 60% last year:

Adebayo, Lillard, Giannis, Harden, Butler, Embiid, Kawahi, Durant, Kyrie, Lebron, Michael Porter Jr., Jokic, Curry and Lavine.

Getting those type of guys isn't an easy task.

No Worries, Air Canada and Deuce like this.
  13. aelliott

Or Devon Booker?

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Patboy is white?

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's not a traditional SG, he's a combo guard that has been playing PG for years.

If Green was that kind of player, I'd feel different but outside of creating offense for himself, he doesn't do much on the court.

Maybe one day with hard work he'll learn how to pass, learn better court vision, and learn how to play defense, but none of those things are a given.

albuster likes this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Some really good stuff here @aelliott!

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Not an easy task at all.

18. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

to add to your rebuttal - Phoenix also has a pretty talented big who is about to get paid.

people seem to think the era of bigs is over. Far from it. The era of non-skilled bigs - that’s what’s over.

albuster, JayGoogle and Bobbythegreat like this.
  19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes but you brought up scoring like Harden and now you're listing a bunch of all-time greats like Durant and Lebron and Curry...

I'm going with the idea that at the very least, Green will be a scorer...like Ego, like JR. Smith, like Lou Will, like your standard guard vs the idea that Mobley will at least be able to play good defense, the idealogical floor for both of these guys.

I'm saying finding a scorer is A LOT easier than finding a big that can defend 5 positions. Now list all the bigs in the NBA right now that can do that while being 7 feet tall or having a 7 foot wingspan?

That list is shorter than guards that can drop 20 points. Every team has that but not every team has a 7 foot big that can defend 5 positions.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  20. aelliott

Another bogus argument. Green plays defense. The knock on his defense is that he has the physical traits to be elite and he's not right now.

Here's former Memphis GM John Hollinger's take on Green's defense.
    Trying to turn that into "learn how to play defense" is ridiculous.

Ditto for the "learn to pass" remark. Green is a shooting guard and he averaged less than one assist fewer than Cade Cunningham who is a pg. He also did it by dominating the ball much less and with a better ast/to ratio than Cunningham. In his only playoff game, Green had 7 assists...Cunningham's career high...8.

Do you also think that Cunningham needs to learn to pass?

34to11 and Deuce like this.