1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 NBA Draft Night Trade Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jun 22, 2021.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

This Orlando trade could be interesting. I really like Scottie Barnes (John Collins/Draymond Green style) and also like Moses Moody (lead scorer on the team potential) and Keon Johnson (incredible athleticism, potential for great guard/wing defense). Drafting two players spreads our risk out and we pick up two really good rotation players. And some yummy cap relief for Tilman! Do we lose the shot at a superstar? Maybe... but I'd put the chance of Green/Mobley/Suggs being a true superstar at around 35% each. No one is a lock to be a true superstar... so at this stage of our rebuild, we may be better served stocking up on strong rotation players. Odds are we will be in this position again next year regardless of who we draft... so this isn't our final shot at drafting high.

#61 El_Conquistador, Jun 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

People are too enamoured with the term superstar.

We have 5-7 ish superstars in the league. Arguable

Let's get to 'Allstar' and 'Perennial Allstar' status first.

There were entire drafts without 1 superstar.

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trust the process?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

The real danger here is that Detroit, knowing how Tilman loves to roll the dice and how willing he is to put way too much on the table, extracts a ridiculous price for exchanging the #1 and #2 picks.

BMoney, D-rock and conquistador#11 like this.
  5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Maybe detroit really likes Jalen and we really like Cade. I think the 22 pick and 2 pick for Cade is doable

csnerd84 likes this.
  6. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

If Detroit really likes Jalen, let them draft him at #1 and we keep our assets.

7. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

I’m not interested in trading up to #1. If DET really wants Cade, they likely won’t trade the pick anyway. If they like someone else, fine, let them take him at #1. I think there are three really, really great prospects in this draft (Cade, Green, Mobley), and I’m happy with any of them.

I would really love to figure out a way to trade for the CLE pick and basicially shorten our tank/rebuild by a year at least, but it’s obviously super unrealistic. I don’t think in reality we can trade Wood - we are already an iffy FA destination with all the volatility/Tilman rep/bad record. Dumping the best FA to choose us in several years after one season would make that even worse.

I don’t really see a trade with CLE that could bring in that pick without putting Wood on the table (plus a lot of other stuff). I would be willing to trade the HOU 2022 unprotected, the ultimate ‘bet on yourself’ move, if it brought back the #3 pick this year, but I think it is hard to build a package that interests CLE.

HTown_TMac and rhee like this.
  8. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

It won't be surprising at all if we trade the 2nd pick for the 5th + future 1st. Or the 2nd+ other assets for the 5th and 8th.

No Worries likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Stone bites, I'd rather have 6'11 Jonathan Isaac and ORL 5th pick.

If Stone gets silly and bites on above deal (2nd + EGo for 5th + 8th) then I hope Rockets get a SRP as well then draft 6'8 Scottie Barnes (5th) and 6'10 Kai Jones (8th).

SRP can be used on any consensus FRP that fall out of 1st round.

Like Joe Wieskamp, Scottie Lewis or Vrenz Bleijenbergh.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

LMAO

Can't even be John Wall

Eric Gordon with 2/36 left on his deal while being a very solid role player.

11. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Super unrealistic you say??

Warriors get Wood, Gordon, 24

Cavs get 7, 14, Wiggins, 23

Rockets get 3, Love

----‐----------------------

Cavs could even do that without pick 14, or could be some combo of Sexton, Okoro for Wiseman

I would hate it as a Cavs fan, but it's not a huge stretch for them to change the pick. They get of Love for Wiggins who (while still overpaid) played much better this year.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

I HATE this as a Rockets fan.

Rockets lose Wood, EGo AND 2nd overall pick for:

Kevin Love?????

And a lesser pick (3rd)???????

Edit: My bad, read it too quickly.

#72 D-rock, Jun 26, 2021
  13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It would be extremely angering.

groovemachine likes this.
  14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Some of you are just too trade happy. We have three 1st rd picks in a supposedly deep draft. Not only that one of them is top 2 pick. We got what we wanted so let's roll with it.
    No trades! Just pick!

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He didn’t put 2 in there, it’s an extremely lopsided deal for us lol

16. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Bill O’ is that you?

17. htown7829

htown7829 Member

Unless I’m missing something the Rockets wouldn’t be trading #2 in this scenario

Grizzlyshark and D-rock like this.
  18. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Yeah we keep our pick.

I don't think it's that lopsided for us either.

We take on Loves salary, we give up the best player in the deal, a very good role player and 2 late FRPs for #3.

It may not be enough sure. But is that's the case, I keep our picks, Wood and Gordon, draft Green, and try and move up for Garuba with our picks and call it a day.

19. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

I still don’t think think we can trade Wood realistically. Barring that, eating Love’s contract and/or trading our own unprotected 2022 are the only core assets we could trade for #3. I do one, but not both, for the #3 (while keeping #2).

#79 mikenm268, Jun 26, 2021
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sorry man, saw Love and just lost it.

:D

groovemachine and Grizzlyshark like this.