1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The most valuable draft assets the Rockets have to trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Whether you're talking about trading up to the number one pick or acquiring a lottery pick without sacrificing the number two pick, It would require additional draft assets, which fortunately the Rockets now have.

I wanted to rank them in order of value... I came up with an initial list and called @BimaThug and this sort of became an interesting back-and-forth discussion.

It's tough to value picks beyond next year and especially difficult a few years out.

But if you're talking to a rebuilding team (which of course, the Rockets are themselves), these picks have good value.

One of the interesting dilemmas we found is on next year's draft. The Rockets have swap rights with Miami, lottery protected, that they can use with either their own pick (unlikely) or Brooklyn's pick. BUT, You can't necessarily trade Brooklyn's pick and have those swap rights carry with them. Those swap rights are technically to Houston's pick but they have the option to use Brooklyn's pick as well. They were negotiated into the trade. But if you separate those two picks, Houston' and Brooklyn's? That gets very complicated and would seem to us to make it unlikely that the Rockets would trade the 2022 Brooklyn pick until that swap can be determined.

jadrien, tinman, Bo6 and 20 others like this.
  2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I just love the fact that we have so many options to improve
    With the right decisions the Rockets could be contenders by 2023, and by 2025 could be a team that nobody wants to see!

Go Rockets!

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

@Clutch

Would you trade Wood + our 2023 unprotected #1 pick for #3 this year?

Lock in the core of KpJ, Green, Mobley and Tate.

#3 larsv8, Jun 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Which pick has the Heat swap? 2022 right?

#8 should be listed at BKN/MIA, which might make it more valuable because the Heat seems to be a volatile team as constructed, but it is lotto protected, but still, #15-18 in 2022 could be a real possibility

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  5. Convictedstupid

Not that it’s likely, but luckily if we were to try and trade with Det for the 1st pick, returning that pick to them would be ranked higher on the list. Possibly a serendipitous turn of events for us.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

This is great, thank you gentlemen.

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

It's such a crapshoot to part with picks more than a year or two off, especially swaps. So hard to try to gauge where TWO teams will be that far out.

D-rock, HTXSportsAddict and Roc Paint like this.
  8. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

This is the only somewhat plausible Wood trade idea I've seen that seems at all intriguing.

Highlyrated and matchesmalone like this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's adorable

external-content.duckduckgo.gif

RustyHarden, B-Bob, Tankeio and 14 others like this.
  10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

topfive and Os Trigonum like this.
  11. JW86

JW86 Member

Why would Cleveland take that though?

Highlyrated, BigM and groovemachine like this.
  12. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

They supposedly want to compete. Green is a bad fit with Sex-Land (unless they trade Sexton). Maybe Barnes makes sense for them there but his lack of shooting last year is a concern, especially if they really do want to compete now.

Wood could be a good fit with Allen (lord knows we've heard that on CF) and Sex-Land. Trading #3 for a 25 year old potential all star locked in for the next 2 at a really low price and a first round flyer isn't unreasonable at all, though it of course depends on how Cleveland feels about the guys who will be there at 3 and how they feel about Wood.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  13. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

It would take more than Wood + 23. We have to look at these trade ideas from the other teams perspective also. Wood is not even an all star (yet?) and late firsts are not that highly valued. We have no one on our roster even close to enticing them to trade the 3rd pick.

txtodd and D-rock like this.
  14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Without hesitation I would do that deal. And I like Christian Wood.

Cost-controlled asset. Adding building blocks around the same age (KPJ, Mobley, Green, KJ Martin). Definitely yes.

I think it would take more than that, however.

15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Take a look at the last paragraph of the original post, which explains why it does not say BKN/MIA.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

With 2 and 3 we could have Suggs and Kuminga.

17. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

We are not getting #3 with this package

18. Caesar

Caesar Member

Lets get that #3 and make the Mobley and Green crowd happy by making them both the future of the Houston Rockets. Terrible franchises to do terrible things. Do it for the land.

Bring in a 3rd team to give them another solid player ready to win now for Sexton(I accidently typed Speedy Claxton first, and now my sons name will be Speedy Sexton). Go ahead and give them Eric Gordon as well. You know what? Take John Wall too, our treat!

#18 Caesar, Jun 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Let me clarify.

I mean our 2023 unprotected 1st rounder,

Not the 23rd pick from this draft.

B-Bob likes this.
  20. CCorn

CCorn Member

We should trade for Harden

rgw20014life likes this.