1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if...Cade is available?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

lmao, u make zero sense

the only one he has to prove something to is Detroit, which is why he’s going there

He’s going #1, and Detroit has the #1 pick, but he should waste time working out with Houston, Cleveland, and Toronto to “prove something.” In no world does that make sense.

Jalen Green on the other hand will work out with numerous teams because he is not a lock to go anywhere…that’s just common sense

red5rocket and MrButtocks like this.
  2. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

You take Cade or Green. The only draft scenario that would make me think is if Detroit took Mobley first overall. I don't know who I'd take first between Cade and Green. Probably Green. As far as trade scenarios, I'd only accept the disgruntled Luka Doncic from Dallas and offer Cade as an instant rebuild centerpiece for them.

don grahamleone and JusBleezy like this.
  3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

These won't make the highlight tape, but he seems like he can already make every pass that you'd need:

Seems like he sees the entire floor really well

D-rock likes this.
  4. HROZ

HROZ Member

Cade

Cade seriously has no major flaws.
    His ceiling & floor is sky high.

Mobley & Green's floors are very low.
    Mobley your getting on him putting on weight.
    Green your betting on him improving his shot & learning to improve his handles.

Suggs ceiling is low. He just doesn't look like he will ever be a top 10 player.

You take Cade.

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

You don't need to discuss much

Just drop off the key, Lee.....

Cade all the way

6. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Now this is interesting. Let's just hope that Detroit buys into this mode of thinking. If not, you take Green and don't look back. Also, from what I've seen, Green looks like he is taking it personally that people don't even consider him to be in the running for the #1 pick given what he did last G League year. Let's hope he takes that into next year and plays with a chip on his shoulder. Especially on the defensive end. I can see this scenario.

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I agree with you about Mobley and Green having big bust potential. I think Suggs' ceiling is low as well, but a high floor. What do you think is Cade's worst case scenario? That's been tough for me to project before. I thought Evan Turner and Michael Beasley were pretty high floor guys for instance, but they turned out really awful.

macho GRANDE and hakeem94 like this.
  8. Rockets4Life13

Green shot 56% from 2 and 37% from 3 in the g-league (actual 3pt line)

meanwhile Cade shot 46% from 2 and 40% from 3 (college line, essentially a long midrange shot).

Cade‘s handle is just as shaky as is Jalen Green‘s 4/3.5 TO/AST ratio.

I don’t mean to disagree entirely with you but a lot of the reason why Cade is #1 is hype, height and college bias.

Jalen Green was consensus #1 before he decided to go to the g-league instead of college.

9. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

WRT trading up, historical data point for reference:

1) in 2004, Charlotte traded up from 4 to 2 with an additional early SRP (#33) and 2.5m cash

2) in 2018, Dallas traded up from 5 (Trae) to 3 (Luka) with an extra future top-5 protected FRP (Cam Reddish)

so the cost is likely at least an FRP. But again, it’s Cade freaking Cunningham. Also depends on how badly Detroit covets Green, and how Houston values Cade. I’d give them back their protected FRP, perhaps one more 2nd / next year’s BKN FRP?

10. HROZ

HROZ Member

Yup I didn't realise Greens 3pt shooting % was that high.
    My main difference between between Cade & Green is their ball handling. Cades just looks so much better.

But maybe I should be taking competition & the fact I'm mostly getting most my takes from highlights.
    I think the lack of spacing/Talent on Cades team was a reason for a large percentage of t/os

But I will say I didn't realise Greens 3pt was so high.

don grahamleone likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's already signed sealed and delivered he is the consensus no 1. Why should he run against all the other prospects in his class and turn all of them against him and make him the target of everybody ala Lonzo Ball? He is already the no 1 ranked prospect it wont change anything except make him lots of enemies. Is there a no 0 in the draft? Reminding everyone what they already know just for the kicks is just dumb the only reason you are saying that is cuz you arent the one in that situation.

When Jalen Green works out for the Utah Jazz and their 30th pick, let me know. What, is Green afraid of all the 2nd round prospects? Why doesnt he invite all the 2nd round prospects and take them 1v1 just to remind them who is the no 1 ranked SG? It would dispel all the doubts about his suspect defense and make him the lock for no 1. Gteen should call out Tre Mann publicly and then humiliate him 1on1 just to show him his place.

#31 roslolian, Jun 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    BallaDoc likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's high cuz nobody plays defense in GLeague...including Green.

Scoring was the only thing Green did in Gleague if he wasnt a good shooter he wouldnt be in play for no 2.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

#2, House + DET pick for #1

JusBleezy and hakeem94 like this.
  14. Jontro

Jontro Member

then there's something wrong with him. skip for suggs.

15. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I think you are overstating his floor/lack of flaws a bit. He's not particularly athletic and doesn't have a lot of burst. That was the same knock on Luka to an extent, but Luka was much more proven based on what he did in the EuroLeague vs Cade doing it against NCAA competition and with Luka's frame his ability to dominate by being crafty was an even easier sell.

It's hard to see him ending up as a bust, but IMO he's not in the group of guys who coming out basically had no chance of not being extremely good NBA players like Bron, KD, Zion (outside of injury concerns), AD, Luka, etc.

He's an exceptional prospect, though, and I for sure would have been ecstatic if we'd wound up with the #1 pick to take him.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Keep Cade at all costs. It's unlikely to happen.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  17. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

My question: What should the Rockets be willing to offer to get the first draft pick?

18. thekad

thekad Member

Cade is 6’8” with a 7’0” wingspan and was a much better iso player than Luka in a league with no space and no shooters. He’ll be fine.

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You take him. You don't think twice. And the only way you trade him is if Luka suddenly and unexpectedly demands a trade.

don grahamleone and Ramo$e like this.
  20. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Luka was more skilled and had the body and skill to use leverage to create space better than Cade at this point based on what I saw of Luka before the draft (though that was more highlights vs actually seeing his games like I have with Cade).

I watched a decent bit of Cade this year. I think there are questions as to how well he'll score in isos against top wing defenders in the NBA and whether what he did in college in isos will consistently work against those guys in the NBA.

It's not that I don't like Cade. I like him a lot. But I also think people often put their "floors" too high with prospects (Andrew Wiggins!) and think that some here and elsewhere are doing this with Cade now.

I think he's more of a legit #1 pick-type who would go #1 most years vs. virtually can't miss being an extremely good player level draft prospect.