1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(The Athletic) Detroit might pass on Cade and take Jalen Green #1?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 22, 2021.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No, I do not. I believe Stone still is high on Wood.

don grahamleone and tc0330 like this.
  2. ReturnOfTheMac

Detroit I’d the same team that traded C Wood, I would not be surprised if they pass on Cade.

3. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Jalen Green is the true number one prospect, the dude rather make 500,000 salary playing for the Gleague. NCAA will never give him the title of being the number one prospect. If you look at Cade he is great in all but, the dude has slow footwork, average athleticism, average leaping ability, and average blow by step. ESPN raked Jalen the number one prospect coming out of High School.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Cade is a shooter, 40% 3ball.

don grahamleone and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

The number 2 pick is a good place to be.

I think there is a chance Detroit does not go Cade at number 1. I think there’s a real chance they go green or even Mobley.

Rockets are in a good spot at two and should almost assuredly come away with either Cade or Green.

7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Stone hasn't done anything yet to make me believe he is THAT stupid.

If Detroit thinks Cade and Green are close or even think Green>Cade, then make them puts their nuts on the table and pick their guy. Why would we give up any assets to move up one spot for a guy they don't even care if they get or not?

They can't bully us out of the number two spot.

Now if they want to trade down to 3 or 4, have at it. Either way, we still get to pick 2nd out of 4 intriguing prospects.

8. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

I would do it. Future Piston’s pick (which is heavily protected) back to Pistons, and changing 1st and 2nd picks.

Corrosion and bigreg like this.
  9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If we feel like Cade is THE GUY, we will move assets for him.

HP3 likes this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

After the Darko Disaster Im not sure Detroit has the balls to forego a sure thing for another big man project. Would definitely start the draft with a bang! I can only imagine if Green is Stones guy what he could squeeze out Cleveland for the 3 pick if DET gets cute at 1? Cade in CLE makes the most sense for them too. Going to be a wild ride!

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If Detroit does this they will be my most hated team for years.

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Not necessarily.

The premise of the original tweet was that Detroit could move back to number two and still get the guy they want in Green.

Well, no they can't if Stone says if you want Green take him at one. Otherwise take Cade and we will take Green.

If Hou feels like there are two prospects (whichever two they are) that are close or they'd be fine with either one, then it makes no sense to trade out of the second spot because you're already guaranteed to get one of your top two guys and IF Detroit picks the guy you had rated slightly lower then you get your top guy without having had to give up anything.

13. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

But If the prevailing consensus is correct that Cade is the true #1, and Stone concurs, then Stone would assuredly not be "stupid" to give up assets to go get him, as opposed to taking the 6-3 SG.

Even If Detroit really does want to move down, that's a game of pickle that isn't worth the risk If your franchise guy is sitting there waiting for you.

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

That's why RudyTBag said "if we feel like Cade is THE GUY". If they feel it's not close between Cade and whoever, then they'll try to move up. Just like Philly did to get Fultz. They really felt like that was their guy.

burlesk likes this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We could simply offer their pick and like #24 to move up

They would take that over nothing, and it’s not much to give up on our end

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Both Doncic and Harden had average athleticism. Doncic even more.

burlesk likes this.
  17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I'm going off of the thread and tweets that suggest Detroit likes Green over Cade.

Stone could like only one player in the entire draft and that could very well be Cade.
    Doesn't matter. We can project all day about what he likes and doesn't like. We won't know until he announces it or his actions show it.

Again, going off the thread and the tweet I quoted; if Detroit wants to Trade down just to take Green and Houston likes Cade, Stone would best be served to make them take Green at 1.

D-rock and don grahamleone like this.
  18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

And again, how would he know that for sure? No way Detroit gives up that intel without extracting value.

Therefore, Houston would do well to throw them a bone If Rafael indeed covets Cade. He would not be "stupid" to do so.

19. TimDuncanDonaut

Source: cbssports - Re-visiting 2017 mock drafts . o_O

"Is Fultz "can't-miss"? He's as close as there is to can't-miss as there is in this draft, which is loaded with great talents but devoid of a Karl-Anthony Towns-like, Kyrie Irving-like, LeBron James-like transcendent and surefire superstar. It remains to be seen how Fultz and Ben Simmons, both players who flourish with the ball in their hands, will mesh on the court. But whatever. The Sixers are going with the player with the highest ceiling, and building a team that could be a juggernaut in the future. Fultz does it all: He has phenomenal size for an NBA guard, a diverse set of offensive weapons and elite athleticism. Yes, I wonder about his decision to play his one-and-done season at a floundering collegiate program like Washington, and winning only nine games there. But the talent? Yeah, it's undeniable."

This has to be PTSD for Philly fans. Ainge traded down from #1 to #3, where Philly took Fultz and Celtics took Tatum.

If Pistons is more hot on Green instead of Cade, they should just take Green with their 1st pick and not be greedy trading down. Does Pistons think they are the 2017 Celtics and pull one over all the teams in love with Cade?

D-rock, JayGoogle and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Kinda proving my point.

That was a terrible trade.

Not only because of the players they chose but because Fultz would have more than likely been available at 3.

https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/six...den-the-process-bryan-colangelo-20200519.html

D-rock likes this.