1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Noema] How To Be An Anti-Anti-Racist

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jun 23, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I think you are downplaying how this stuff affects the electorate and election politics and i think you ignore how much stuff like The Root and other like publications have an audience with progressives, if they did not have an audience they would not publish this stuff.

My point is yes its a narrative but it has an audience on both sides.

Nook and B-Bob like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This.

There are some issues to be addressed in the way they made that movie because I read a central point of the play was colorism among latinos, I also realize there is a profit motive to cater to the out rage mob on both sides.
    I don't think what Miranda did was bowing and scraping, he changed some things from the original play and colorism was a central part of the play so yeah he needed to address why he did that especially since he is a bit of an activist himself.

B-Bob likes this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

There’s real evidence that “defund the police” was an actual detriment to Democrats in 2020. I don’t discount that this has an impact.

My point though is it’s not the vast majority of “the left” and it speaks to the power of the right wing propaganda network and the ignorance of the American electorate that it’s so easy to believe that ALL of the left is protesting to both defund the police or trying to defund Lin Manuel or indoctrinating kids with CRT.

I’m speaking more to that notion than the fact that yes there are some on the left that feed into the narrative that gets exploited.

I know you are not a Libtard by any stretch but if you asked anyone that watches FoxNews if Jiggfly who voted for Biden wants to Defund the police, and defund Lin Manuel what do you think they would say? And I know your history here. You are appropriately a moderate but to a FoxNews viewer you are going to be considered just as radical as a writer at the Root or a liberal college professor.

I mean it’s a real problem. The root should be able to say whatever and not have it create a consensus narrative about you, me, and anyone that isn’t in the maga cult.

#43 dobro1229, Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

really worth a look. the title question addressed starting around the 16:45 mark

5. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

London'sBurning and B-Bob like this.
  6. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Land acknowledgments have become pretty standard with presenting academic/professional papers in my world as well. To me it cheapens any intent when it becomes an expected and rote routine. But it makes people feel better about themselves without having to do much.

jiggyfly, B-Bob and Os Trigonum like this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

sounds like the 'group narcissism' that Nesrine Malik describes in the OP

B-Bob likes this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Self-righteous - yes. Group narcissism? Sounds like a contradiction of a term that makes no sense.

Our forefathers did bad things to other people, from which we benefit. The right thing to do isn't to feel guilty and conduct prayers, but to ensure the survival of their culture and the prosperity of their descendants. It's the same obligation we owe to the descendants of slaves.

How to be an anti-anti-racist is just a comforting way to saying how to be a racist.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

did you actually read the OP?

Tomstro likes this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Do you work at Evergreen State College?

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes I did, did you not read my earlier response to it?

12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

then I don't understand your assertion "How to be an anti-anti-racist is just a comforting way to saying how to be a racist."

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I really don't know what to do with this.

I don't care what a Fox news viewer would say and if its Ok for the Root to say what they want is it ok for Fox news to do the same?

They both are profiting from outrage.

This is not healthy for any side.

14. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

I would say the right thing to do is say, "That was bad what other people did to other people a long time ago. None of us should do similar things now." and then not do similar things now. Genocide was bad, don't commit genocide. Racial preferences were bad, don't implement racial preferences. Etc.

15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I cant wait until everyone fukks everyone so that there is no more skin color difference. Wish it was that way now. 93% of our political issues would disappear. Skin color....What an incredibly dumb thing to spend so much time on.

so many on this site care only about this topic, skin color and race. They could get lives!

Instead of fighting over something so incredibly beneath us lets just do away with the topic altogether. No more fighting, a lot more fuking.

problem ****ing solved.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How naive.

People would just divide on some other lines.

Just look at history and how Italians and Irish were treated when they 1st immigrated to the U.S. or the divisions in the U.K. or in Italy.

JumpMan and Tomstro like this.
  17. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

You are right. People would find something else, equally as stupid, to bicker about. The same idiots would still b****. I agree.

I still say we try it.

18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

the whole thing is worth watching, but what he says about education (starting around the 9:35 mark) is 100% true in my experience

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You actually think your "opinion" means something. Like people will take your word for it.

LOL.

How cute.

Some part of me thinks you actually believe people take you seriously but then I think you have to be more self aware than that.

20. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

cue it up and listen to it yourself. don't take my word for it. or keep your head in sand. doesn't matter to me either way jig