1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Am I the only one that doesn’t like what OKC are doing?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ashleyem, Jun 24, 2021.

1. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

They have millions of draft picks but there is absolutely no way they can keep them all. They are definitely going to have issues going forward with multiple guys playing the same position. I don’t see any young promising player on their squad aside from SGA. They missed out on top 5 this year so they will try to intentionally lose next year again. Their timeline doesn’t align with SGA’s. Also intentionally losing creates bad habits and culture. They absorb bad contracts with their cap space but what they really should do is to use the cap space for some overlooked players with potential and cash in on some of their draft picks to acquire young talent. They are going nowhere.

napalm06 likes this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

i don't like okc either.

4. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Poku winning the last game killed them for this years lottery. But aren't they basically doing the process but with more picks?

Yes, they will probably tank at least next year hoping to get a star to build around. But once they do, they enough picks to draft good role players around that star and to potential trade for a vet star to pair with him. Poku could be good, but he definitely has a ceiling. Also, they have been really poor at choosing head coaches. I mean imagine an elite head coach with that initial OKC group instead of Scottie Brooks.

My only issue is that no one is giving them grief for pulling this like they did for Hinkie in Philly that cost him his job.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

They won't draft all those picks. They're waiting to draft a star then they will start cashing in some of those picks or young players for established good players.

6. epicbeardabe

epicbeardabe Contributing Member

I think the biggest problem theyve had is that they've been too good these last couple of years. Post kd, they still had Russ, then pg, and then cp3. Theyre trying the process but they haven't been bad enough to make it count. That being said, unless a trade presents itself or they get really bad, they're spinning their wheels a little. Also, they havent drafted the best the last decade or so

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

They have draft picks. Draft picks are assets. They can use ‘em. They’ll hit on some. They’ll miss on some. They can trade ‘em. Trade ‘em to move up. Trade ‘em for anyone they want. (Obviously takes two to tango.)

Last year they were in the playoffs with CP3 and a bucket away from advancing to the 2nd round. This is year one of “The Process.” The rebuild has just begun. Asset collection szn.

Yes, at some point he’ll need something to show for. In 2021 or 2022? No.

6, 16, 18, 34, 36, 55

Own 1st (Protected 1-14, otherwise sent to Atlanta)
    LAC 1st
    PHX 1st (Protected 1-12 2022; 1-10 2023; 1-8 2024; Unprotected 2025)
    Own 2nd

Own 1st
    DEN 1st (Protected 1-14 2023/2024/2025)
    LAC 1st (Swap)
    MIA 1st (Protected 1-14 2023/2024/2025; unprotected 2026)
    DAL/or/MIA 2nd
    WAS 2nd

Own 1st
    HOU 1st (Protected 1-4)
    LAC 1st
    Own 2nd
    CHA 2nd
    MIN 2nd

Own 1st
    HOU/or/LAC 1st (swap; HOU protected 1-10)
    PHI 1st
    Own 2nd
    ATL 2nd
    PHI 2nd
    BOS 2nd

Own 1st
    HOU 1st (Protected 1-4)
    LAC 1st
    Own 2nd
    DAL 2nd
    PHI 2nd

Own 1st
    Own 2nd
    HOU 2nd
    IND 2nd
    MIA 2nd

8. vince

vince Member

I think they are being smart. Just because a team has 1st round picks doesn’t mean they have to keep them. After all, some other team at some point will fall in love with a player and divert assets back to OKC for that pick. It’s value, as long as they hold the value…. Good things happen when you have the assets…

So if the OKC does find a franchise player, then they can draft his support cast or trade for veteran help.

Rockets did the Nets trade with same philosophy in mind.

malakas likes this.
  9. TimDuncanDonaut

Sam Presti goes to LPA (Lottery Pick Anonymous), It's never enough.

[​IMG]

10. vince

vince Member

One question in case anyone knows. The Rockets 2024 and 2026 picks are 1-4 protected. Hence does OKC lose the pick if it falls in 1-4? I know previous trades have 2nd round picks going to said teams or it just pushes the 1st round pick into the future. Here I see no further compensation if the pick is 1-4…. I’m assuming OKC loses the pick!

2024 isn’t too far away, and it’s not so assured we have a nucleus we can build; though there is lots of potential (Wood, KP jr, Tate, the 2021 #2 pick, the 2021 #23 & 24 picks, the 2022 picks….)

So a lot is going to depend on good team building, because there are teams that spend decades trying to find a formula just to get back into the playoffs…

The Tate and Martin rookie campaigns give me confidence the front office is talented and will do their due diligence.

11. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Looks like if 2024 doesnt convey then it converts to 2 second round picks. In 2026 , it's only one second round pick.

You can see all future pick obligations here:

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

Kim likes this.
  12. vince

vince Member

13. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Give it time. More first round picks are panning out these days. Note that Jarrett Allen, Caris Levert, and Spencer Dinwiddie were all later picks. Devin Booker was drafter 13th overall. Get a few interesting players, one star, and target a team with a disgruntled star looking to start over with young assets that you can swing a trade for. Within a year or two you go from mid-tier to contender, with good FAs and buyouts signing with you.