1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Woj: Houston will be open to trading pick for player to accelerate rebuild

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Jun 22, 2021.

?

Should 17 win Houston trade their pick to accelerate their rebuild?

1. Yes

12.6%
  2. No

87.4%
  1. s3ts

s3ts Member

Pipe dreams... Rockets never trade like this w/ Mavs. The rivalry between SAS, DAL, HOU is just too much. We'll never see these 3 TX teams trade core talent for core talent between them.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. s3ts

s3ts Member

Uh, there's no acceleration to rebuild. Making the salary match trading top-5 pick for a young all-star vet is going to really suck. I also have no clue who would even be offered.

On the other hand, picking a good player, letting him accrue great stats will pay for itself with the bird rights and all. Just suck for 3 years and trade him on a supermax.

3. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Isn't depending on the draft pick to hopefully land a superstar in the making a part of a rebuild?! Unless it is a proven young superstar like Luka, Zion or giannis, we should not even think about trading our #2 pick. Even if we somehow manage to add a player like Zion or Luka, our existing team is not even close to making it deep into the playoffs. Just stick to complete rebuild even if that means missing playoffs for the next few years.

4. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Sir, it's June...post lotto. For the next month, 'non-stories' are all we have. Don't tread on me.

5. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

What? If it was guaranteed that Mobley would ever be as good as DeAndre Ayton is now, I would be willing to A) draft him in a heartbeat and B) sacrifice a baby lamb.

DVauthrin and D-rock like this.
  6. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Catching up on this thread 180+ replies deep and seeing that 60+ people are choosing to entertain the idea that we could somehow trade for Luka is making me seriously wish that a 'dislike' button was an option...

jiggyfly, J Sizzle, BallaDoc and 5 others like this.
  7. Landry's Tooth

So you would use the #2 pick to get your 3rd best player?

8. TimDuncanDonaut

:D Mavs aint trading Luka. They basically gutted their front office for that kid. Also waiting on shadow gambler GM Bob to get fired. Cuban's not losing all that FO just to trade the player that they went all in. It's so chaotic over there that Cuban asked fan favorite Dirk to come out of retirement for consulting (and PR), to restore confidence. Most teams have a #1 guy, let Mavs have theirs and their 1st round exits.

Let's invest in our guys and our future.

For the record, I'm not against trading picks for established guys, It doesn't have to be Luka.

#188 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree the Mavs won't trade Luka. I do want to know who do you have in mind as an established star? I don't want any trades. We are too raw. It will be young James Harden all over again.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I agree, the Mavs are not trading Luka.

After the Clippers eliminated the Mavs.....Clipper players were lined
    up to hug Luka and shake his hand. That's respect.

You don't trade that. You go out and get a Charles Bassey to play center
    next to him to do all the dirty work, because Porzingis is a puss.

Improve at 3 & D wings. Instant championship contender.

11. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

My comment wasnt intended to say who was the better prospect or who the Rox should draft. What I am saying is that any one of these guys could be a bust. Even top 3 picks don’t work out at a pretty scary rate. So what I meant is that if we knew for sure one of the top players available at #2 was A) not a bust and B) pretty damn good, you’d be crazy not to take them and instead draft an unknown.

#191 mikenm268, Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    Possum likes this.
  12. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

We're seeing similar reports to this coming out of Detroit. My read of things is that the top-4 players are pretty even talent-wise and none is head-and-shoulders above the others. My guess is the openness to trading is only if they can stay in the top-4. Losing Cade for Jalen Green, or Mobley for Suggs, while acquiring along the way another first round pick, is the type of deal I think they're going for. Not sure they'll find many takers.

13. spankz141

spankz141 Member

What are yall's thoughts on the #2 pick for Jaylen Brown?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Would you trade 2nd overall pick + EGo for Jerami Grant?

I know TF wouldn't, that's too much salary to take back.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No way.

Rudyc281, Rockets4Life13 and D-rock like this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m committing seppuku on the spot if a trade like that ever went down

17. DonatelloLimestone

[​IMG]

mikenm268 likes this.
  18. Landry's Tooth

I follow you now... i was thinking you meant in context of trading the pick for a borderline allstar or being ok with drafting just a good player...

I get the cap benefits and age value in using pick... i wouldn't trade it for anyone over 26. If they make money already they can offset with Wall or Gordon so it's a minimal loss in cap space...

19. Landry's Tooth

Grant is too old and i feel Olynyk could do 80% of his production.

The pick is more about fit with Porter age wise... getting a guy who will be out of his prime in 5 years or less is unwise...

D-rock likes this.
  20. Landry's Tooth

I like it if it's on the table. He's young and it addresses 2 needs.

Only downside is cap space...

High picks are a chance to have a lot of talent and be able to add a max free agent...